Tt Counter To Thunder/improved Thunder

5 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hey everyone, one thing I'm wondering (We house ruled them banned years ago outside of special exception) is if anyone knows, well, what you're supposed to do about Thunder and Improved Thunder in table top?

It seems like once the shots get flying, even if the gunner is awful, the area will be so covered in mines you can't walk or jump anywhere without killing yourself.

Anyway I hate to claim OP in MW:O, and I'd sure hate to cry it in TT, but.. to this day, I have no idea what you're supposed to do to avoid eventual leg death (in particular if you rolled non-JJ units) against these.

EDIT: Bonus question - why doesn't every Clan player try to use Elementals for armor and arm mounted Clan 'mechs? The only other thing that I've felt is really broken.

Edited by Victor Morson, 05 April 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#2 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

i would say you could probably shoot them.

#3 Uller Phrost

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

The cost of the thunder missiles and the number of hexes you need to cover limits the use of thunders and there is no IFF on them. also hit a hex with arrow IV or long tom rounds to clear

#4 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

LRM-20 will also clear a hex.

#5 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

in my experience they are nearly worthless. if you are playing on a decent size map, it's almost impossible to cover everywhere, even with 3-4 turns worth of saturation. besides, someone steps on a mine half the time it doesn't even blow, and even then it's 5~ leg damage, big deal. i just walk over them and kill everything that's firing them, solves the problem.

#6 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

IDK 5 points of damage to a light mech HURTS, even if an Atlas has what 42 points of armor it still shaves of a bit.

As to the other question regarding Clanner's not using arm mounted Clan mechs? Do you mean why do they never have hands? If this is the case the answer is (or used to be some obscure footnote in the construction rules) Omnimechs cannot mount hand actuators if there are any AC's, PPCs, or Gauss' (Not sure about missiles.) in that arm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users