Toggle For Film Grain Must Has It

10 replies to this topic

#1 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

So I checked with an admin first and found out that while it's not recommended, it's not currently forbidden to turn of film grain or use SweetFX. I did so prior to the last patch and I have to say....

PGI, you have made a visually stunning game. Coincidentally in prelude to the changes to vision mode I unmapped night vision and thermal from my keyboard for 2 weeks. The game was *incredible*. Beautiful. Night maps, Tourmaline, Caustic, targeting people by muzzle flash, firing my lasers BEFORE ballistics to get a brief green-tinged illumination before putting projectiles on target. The visuals of other mechs firing ballistics, backblast and muzzle flash, the eruption of missile fire, the incredible illumination and even water reflection caused by lasers.

Then the most recent patch came out and my graphics decided they hated me personally. HUD bugs every 2 or 3 games, crashes, flickering, textures popping in and out, all sorts of drama.

So instead of going with the standard first response of posting a QQ thread in general discussion I decided to go ALL CRAZY and uninstall and then reinstall the game.

Which, by the way, removed all of my technical issues. 1 missing map in the last ~80 drops.

It also removed all my graphics tweaks however. I have not reinstalled them because clearly they were causing memory leaks and other problems.

Yet I find I miss that clarity. Film grain doesn't add gritty realism; the belching black smoke shot through with flame as the Cataphract next to me disgorged UAC5 rounds at a distant target did that. I find it has obscured a lot of the brilliant visual effects of the game. The detail on the skin of various mechs that I'd never noticed.

Please give us a toggle. I want to admire and enjoy those brilliant effects again. Now it's gone. You can't really pick out the burning core of the backblast of AC shots, you can't really make out the wear and tear reflected on other mechs paint, the reflections cast by flashes of laser light off the water.... all gone, muddied by a grubby coat of grainy image dilution.

If someone likes it, awesome. Let them keep it. I'm not going to screw with the game to take it out again - obviously that was creation issues, it was foolish of me to ever think otherwise. Give me an official method of properly enjoying the quality of the product you've made for me.

Lemme wash the sand from my eyes, PGI. You went through all the work, why not let us see it?

#2 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 05 April 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

So I checked with an admin first and found out that while it's not recommended, it's not currently forbidden to turn of film grain or use SweetFX. I did so prior to the last patch and I have to say....

PGI, you have made a visually stunning game. Coincidentally in prelude to the changes to vision mode I unmapped night vision and thermal from my keyboard for 2 weeks. The game was *incredible*. Beautiful. Night maps, Tourmaline, Caustic, targeting people by muzzle flash, firing my lasers BEFORE ballistics to get a brief green-tinged illumination before putting projectiles on target. The visuals of other mechs firing ballistics, backblast and muzzle flash, the eruption of missile fire, the incredible illumination and even water reflection caused by lasers.

Then the most recent patch came out and my graphics decided they hated me personally. HUD bugs every 2 or 3 games, crashes, flickering, textures popping in and out, all sorts of drama.

So instead of going with the standard first response of posting a QQ thread in general discussion I decided to go ALL CRAZY and uninstall and then reinstall the game.

Which, by the way, removed all of my technical issues. 1 missing map in the last ~80 drops.

It also removed all my graphics tweaks however. I have not reinstalled them because clearly they were causing memory leaks and other problems.

Yet I find I miss that clarity. Film grain doesn't add gritty realism; the belching black smoke shot through with flame as the Cataphract next to me disgorged UAC5 rounds at a distant target did that. I find it has obscured a lot of the brilliant visual effects of the game. The detail on the skin of various mechs that I'd never noticed.

Please give us a toggle. I want to admire and enjoy those brilliant effects again. Now it's gone. You can't really pick out the burning core of the backblast of AC shots, you can't really make out the wear and tear reflected on other mechs paint, the reflections cast by flashes of laser light off the water.... all gone, muddied by a grubby coat of grainy image dilution.

If someone likes it, awesome. Let them keep it. I'm not going to screw with the game to take it out again - obviously that was creation issues, it was foolish of me to ever think otherwise. Give me an official method of properly enjoying the quality of the product you've made for me.

Lemme wash the sand from my eyes, PGI. You went through all the work, why not let us see it?

I agree. Its silly to make such a fine looking game and grime it just because its fashionable in other games because they claim it looks more 'realistic'. Its a space robots game people...if I wanted realism I'd play something else.

Edited by Skyfaller, 07 April 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#3 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

After watching this thread for a few weeks it needs a bump.

This needs to be implemented. Its been brought up in several other threads, some of which have been locked or have been dead for months.

I will never understand why developers feel the need to mud up their stunning visuals with film grain. I would really like to remove it through an official method and not by modifying game files since there has been no official statement. Every other game I've played has a Film Grain checkbox or slider. Why can't MWO? Other checkboxes have been added to the options menu over the past couple months so it can't be that difficult, even allowing a simple user.cfg file line would suffice for now.

Edited by frag85, 26 April 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#4 Whawk

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I vote for this too!

#5 Straften

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

What's a film grain?

#6 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostStraften, on 30 April 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

What's a film grain?

It is a filter they apply to take a great looking game and ruin it.

#7 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Bump this. Its still not an option/config change.

View PostStraften, on 30 April 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

What's a film grain?

See the post processing effect that makes everything look muddied up?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

Another bump for a good cause. It only took a couple hours to add the damage glow option last week. Why isn't this in here yet?

Edited by frag85, 14 August 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#9 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hey, doing this might even improve performance, since the game has less to do in post processing. I approve.

#10 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Really wants this. There's a 3rd party thing you can do to remove it and I hate doing it but every time I reinstall post-patch and see film grain again it breaks my heart. The game is gorgeous, film grain degrades that.

Let us enjoy your game!

#11 TekGnosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

Well, I'm resorting to posting once in each non-locked thread requesting they remove this horrible overlay that reduces the quality of image. So, there's my post. Please remove the horrible overlay that reduces the quality of my image.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users