23 replies to this topic

#1 Ravingdork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Does anyone else get Alpine and Tourmaline over, and over, and over again? It literally makes it so half my mechwarrior experience is walking to point A while trying to duck snipers. It has the potential to be a lot of fun, but much of the time it's outright tedious!

I'm looking at my stats here on the site and it seems there is no way for it to be "random chance" statistically speaking.

My Matches Per Map
  • Forest Colony 28
  • Frozen City 23
  • Caustic Valley 25
  • River City 23
  • Forest Colony Snow 25
  • Frozen City Night 25
  • River City Night 25
  • Alpine Peaks 43
  • Tourmaline Desert 45
Why on earth are these maps being pushed so hard on us?

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this happening to you? What do your profile stats here on the site say?

Edited by Ravingdork, 14 April 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#2 Ravingdork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Anyone?

#3 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Tourmaline's chance was upped because it's the newest map. However, you can't determine probabilities from such a small sample size. Tourmaline is my least played map, while Caustic and River City Night are tied for most. That's just the way the dice fell.

#4 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

That was the case from the time the map was launched until the last patch, but their rotation has been put to normal with the rest of the maps.

As far as being pushed so hard, well previous to Alpine, when the maps were in normal rotation, it wasn't uncommon to go 20-30 matches without getting the new map.
It's kind of hard to find bugs or test play-ability with that. So, it makes sense to up the rotation on new content to see if it actually works.

#5 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Your sample size is too small. For me, Alpine and Caustic are the most, and Tourmaline is the least by far. It's random, so the maps will approach even distribution as the number of games approaches infinity. Until you get to infinite matches, your sample could be skewed by simple probability.

#6 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Honestly, a lot of people are sick of the appearances of Alpine and Tourmaline over the other maps. The game is being actively funded by the user base and it is open to everyone to play. Calling a released game "Beta", is cute, but it doesn't justify upping the drop frequency of Tourmaline and Alpine to the level its been.

#7 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostRhent, on 14 April 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Honestly, a lot of people are sick of the appearances of Alpine and Tourmaline over the other maps. The game is being actively funded by the user base and it is open to everyone to play. Calling a released game "Beta", is cute, but it doesn't justify upping the drop frequency of Tourmaline and Alpine to the level its been.

http://mwomercs.com/...about%E2%80%A6/

4. Beta status:
You've just gone on about how this product IS or IS NOT Beta.
Why you’re probably wrong: Many people are using an outdated model of what qualifies as Beta status. Others believe in the concept that as soon as a product has been monetized that it is no longer Beta. Both of you are wrong.
Back in the day, if you wanted to Beta test a product, you would be charged for the disc, shipping and a nominal fee, this is usually around the same cost +/- of what the Elite Founders package was. Now we’re in a world where an entire game can be downloaded in the time it takes to eat lunch, at a relatively minimal cost to the developer compared to disc production. And without a major publisher pushing the title, these companies need to get funding from somewhere, ergo (Latin), you have Beta entry packages and micro transactions during the development to fund future development.
In short, until the entire industry redefines what the meaning of the word Beta now means, the game is Beta until the developer says it isn't.

Edited by Roadbeer, 14 April 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#8 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

You don't take money for a game in BETA, end of definition. Let me know if you need any more clarification of the term Beta.

#9 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostRhent, on 14 April 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

You don't take money for a game in BETA, end of definition. Let me know if you need any more clarification of the term Beta.

Please do, your views intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

#10 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

I just did a quick glance of my stats, AP and TD (you can cut-and-paste stats directly into Excel) and the two maps drops 29.26% of the time for me with the remaining 7 maps taking up the remainder, so ~10% on each of the other maps vs almost 15% for the 2 new maps. Overall the drop-map selection for me comes in bunches, but overall this is not so bad that I feel the need for PGI to change it.

I wish for a higher variety/number of maps so we can just have fewer back-to-backs on the same map.

-S

Edited by Splinters, 14 April 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#11 Phellian

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

Forest Colony 67
Frozen City 78
Caustic Valley 84
River City 68
Forest Colony Snow 75
Frozen City Night 76
River City Night 74
Alpine Peaks 68
Tourmaline Desert 110

That is my map stats, the Tourmaline is so high because when they introduced it they 'increased the frequency' of the map.

Edited by Phellian, 14 April 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#12 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Please do, your views intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Good to hear, please do.

#13 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

No, I'm serious, please elaborate on how this isn't Beta because they are charging money.

#14 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

When I did not get the white screen of death every game (yes my drivers are up to date) these frequencies made me very happy.

#15 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

No, I'm serious, please elaborate on how this isn't Beta because they are charging money.

Mechwarrior Online is in Open Release. Anyone who wants to play the game, can play the game. The game allows people to buy to content freely with no restrictions placed.

Feel free to fall in the Beta delusion camp, I find you guys hilarious.

#16 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image

He is coming for your thread! Redundancy is one of the evil, deadly sins! Relegation to the trash bin of the digipocalypse will soon be upon it! Woe to the non-believers!

#17 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

wtf,,,
Forest Colony 92 45 47 0.96 05:50:48 Frozen City 99 49 50 0.98 06:42:15 Caustic Valley 119 63 56 1.13 08:41:07 River City 104 51 53 0.96 06:52:32 Forest Colony Snow 115 64 51 1.25 07:26:20 Frozen City Night 100 47 53 0.89 06:55:13 River City Night 107 52 55 0.95 07:42:30 Alpine Peaks 121 65 56 1.16 12:11:08 Tourmaline Desert 168 76 91 0.84 15:02:13
it doesnt help that at this point do to playing it so much I HATE tourmaline.

Edited by Ph30nix, 14 April 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#18 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostRhent, on 14 April 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Mechwarrior Online is in Open Release. Anyone who wants to play the game, can play the game. The game allows people to buy to content freely with no restrictions placed.

Feel free to fall in the Beta delusion camp, I find you guys hilarious.

That's your argument? You have failed to convince me, I am no longer interested in your newsletter.

View PostIceCase88, on 14 April 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

%20http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/g-ent-111006-ghostbusters-stay-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

He is coming for your thread! Redundancy is one of the evil, deadly sins! Relegation to the trash bin of the digipocalypse will soon be upon it! Woe to the non-believers!

http://mwomercs.com/...about%E2%80%A6/

1. Redundancy:
You have just made the 172nd thread on the topic. By this point, no matter how well thought out your post is, you’re just making noise. When I see 5 threads on the first page about the same thing and yours’ is the most recent, you’re going to get “This thread is new and exciting”.
Why you’re probably wrong: You may have the best solution on the topic, which is so simple to implement a child could code it, and not only will revolutionize the topic, but make food taste better to boot. Creating your own thread on the topic just makes you a narcissist. When the devs are paying attention to the volume on the topic, they’re not counting threads, but posts. Your idea is just as valid as an OP as it is on page 22.

#19 Ingvay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Alpine, Tourmaline and River City seem to be the only ones I get lately. Tour drops 2 to 1 over all other maps with River City coming in second. There aren't very many map to begin with, and while I like Tour, it sucks playing 6 matches a night and getting it 4 times.

#20 Ravingdork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

River City is one of the most balaced maps out there I think.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users