31 replies to this topic

#21 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

XL 300 without a doubt.

If you can get your hands on the X-5 its pretty sweet - my favorite. 2 SRM 6, Choom choom choom!!! Boom!!

Otherwise 3M with PPC, get a mech alone and its frustrating as hell for them, great fun for you - otherwise run around taking sniping potshots in between intercepting lights and capping locations.

#22 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

So all this in mind... and considering I kinda want to try Centurions. Might it just be worth saving the extra 2.5 Million Cbills to get a Centurion C9D to get the 300XL that comes with it?

(My other pondering is whether to just save for Highlanders, but until I know their hardpoint options, I'm not too keen on that)

#23 Burnsidhe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Cicada's are equally out of place in tabletop.

It's basically a 'heavy scout' in that it's fast, but weighs more than properly-designed scouts. It has the move to keep up with most light mechs, but only a tiny bit more firepower in some configurations.

You *have* to use an XL engine to free up enough tonnage to mount any serious weaponry. Then it can fulfill the role of harasser.

#24 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

I wouldn't say that. I mean, on my CDA I can do 6 MLs pretty easily, and not even be that bad on heat, admittedly, requires a 245 Engine. but even that's not terrible. and it's not a problem to do 4 MLs on the A or B. It's just more speed. MORE SPEEEEEEEED I want. ^_^

#25 Dusty Sandals

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

So it seems as if I've not given the stock loadout enough attention on the 3M. I really like having the UAC/5 around for a bit of range. Just dropped the engine size to 300XL and swapped SPLas for two SLas. Allowed me to get more ammo in than original. All the hardpoints are filled and with guardian ecm you've got yourself a little support mech. So I suppose it's best to just return to basics sometimes... I like that I can snipe, or skirmish, or support the big guys. Also, on a strange note I have found ac shots easier to land than ppc's. I suppose the slower shot just makes more sense to me? I just seem to hit more with it. A last little bit of tweaking to see if it is "just right" I don't know why I didn't like stock the first time around. Perhaps some early game knowledge that I should have had. This build just seems to work for me. Seeing good damage and the occasional kill. I'm decent against all types of mechs and have good speed and firepower to react. I like it.

#26 K a 0 t i K

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

I have been loving the X5 since I got it. Moves at 147kph so can dance with other lights popping them with streaks or circle around to stab the 4ML into the backs of assaults. It does its job well. However the VERY popular Raven-3L packs the same weapon loadout, but with ECM also denies you the ssrm shots that it is taking on you. Honestly the 3L is the mech I fear the most while running the cada. The ECM commando with streaks can do the same, but does not have the janky hit boxes the raven has that make it harder to core so those duels are alot easier to win.

#27 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Actually, I would love some playstyle advice on Cicadas as well. I like them, but I can't say I do well in them. Especially not hearing about people getting 500+ matches, my BEST is probably a 300 point one, usually I'm lucky to be around 100 and rarely have a kill.

Both my A and B variant are using 4 MLs at the moment, and AMS. I forget the engines offhand, but one goes 109, the other 122. Both have Speed Tweak. They're standard Engines too, I've yet to be able to afford an XL - too interested in new mechs to shake up play. I sold my C, though have sellers remorse now.

#28 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

hmm, no one came up with this kind of cicada, so here it is:

Gaussssssssss......

not sure about the laser weaponry, though.

#29 Vincinzerey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

Especially not hearing about people getting 500+ matches, my BEST is probably a 300 point one, usually I'm lucky to be around 100 and rarely have a kill.

Playing most times with the Cicada X-5, two Screens playing this mech
https://www.dropbox....oi/Victory1.png
https://www.dropbox....52/Victory2.png

Playstyle with the Cicada ist like you would Pilot a light mech.
You have about the same weapons then them, but better Armor and in some cases more Speed.
Best Role: Scout, Harassment

Personally i do best with the X-5 and the 2B
(Hit rates with Med Lasers 87%)

Preferred play style:
Dont work alone, help Assaults or Heavys who are already in "close" Combat with others.
When hunting lights i shoot on theyr feet and let the others finish them (preferred when encounter ECM Ravens)
Protect the back of the Assault/Heavys (Most of my Kills are Savior Kills)
Playing prey for the Assault/Heavys in close Combat so the enemy Team starts shooting me then my friends (loads of Spotting Assist+Tag Bonus)
Never Ever Stop Running, always on the move..
I like "Motion prediction" so when i encounter an heavy/Assault, i never run in front of them, i run 8 behind them.. when they turn, they are easy target for teammates

Edited by Vincinzerey, 17 April 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#30 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

would you bother to share your x-5 build?

#31 Harleen Quinzel

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

Personally for the 3M, I take max armour (except the arms - hell they're worthless anyway) and use 2xMPL and 2xML - I would take 4xMPL but since I only seem to get the desert map, the heat build up from 4MPL was killing me.

With this build I have no problems taking on light mechs, especially important for the recent surge in wins by capping. If that isnt an option, I do the headless chicken run around and shoot things in the back method.

For the X-5 I've tried swapping the SRM's for SSRM's which helps a lot for fighting Light Mechs, but with the number of Lights now sporting ECM's it just wasn't worth it. Also I found I kept running in straight lines trying to get lock on assaults etc which is just suicide at the best of times.

Haven't tried the heavy weapon option, may buy another 3M or similar to test this out :)

#32 Vincinzerey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

View Post627, on 17 April 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

would you bother to share your x-5 build?

LP X-5
You can however swap the Tag with a Med (and dish out more dmg), but against ECM Mechs (and for Bonus/LRM Support) i prefer the Tag.

And this is my "cool" running Version:
Streak X-5

"LP" dish out more Dmg but run hotter and against ECM Heavy Teams
"Streak" is for "finishing"

but with the number of Lights now sporting ECM's it just wasn't worth it. Also I found I kept running in straight lines trying to get lock on assaults etc which is just suicide at the best of times

Because of this i mount the Tag. you get used very fast in sporting a Tag laser to keep the Target "painted", as a side effekt your Streak get a lock. (for the 180-270m)

My Problem are SRM´s because when you rush by a target with around 100-130 it isnt easy to fire two salvos at the target..:)

Edited by Vincinzerey, 17 April 2013 - 02:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users