Hawken live action trailer

16 replies to this topic

#1 tigerwolf753

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Just saw this and wow:

I'm hoping with the renewed interest in the the BattleTech universe we'll one day get a proper TV series or movie. I'm thinking in the style of Firefly or Battlestar Galactica.

#2 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

hate to say it, but to me whole thing screams "we wanted to create armored core for pc, but eh.." aside from this - can't wait for release)

#3 The unnamed one

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

o-o, O_O, °O°, that looked awesome!

#4 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

I still want Armored Core for PC.

This doesn't look like it...

#5 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

View Posttigerwolf753, on 02 June 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Just saw this and wow:
I'm hoping with the renewed interest in the the BattleTech universe we'll one day get a proper TV series or movie. I'm thinking in the style of Firefly or Battlestar Galactica.

The new BSG took its filming style from Firefly.

#6 Theal Swena

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationProbably in an Atlas

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

(\__/)
(O.O)
( ) ( )
(_)(_) Bunny impressed!

EDIT: Looked a lot better in the editor. Just quote my post and see.

Edited by Theal Swena, 02 June 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Poor attempt to write in Russian alphabet and a c-grade movie clip.
Mechwarrior 4 intro is far more interesting and needed one tenth of the budget than this piece of crap.

Edited by Adridos, 02 June 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#8 CrimsonOdyssey

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

It looks to be similar to armored core (I've been a fan since the original) story wise: corporations control the world, and everything's going to hell because of struggles for power. But the game play seems to be a mix of armored core and mechwarrior, which is interesting but I'd say both mechwarrior and armored core are better than this looks. That's not to say I won't at least try it but armored core V is pretty damn good, game play wise, I just wish they had made the capture and control aspect a little different (bigger and better, not determined by numbers but by team and pilot skill).

#9 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

hm...

#10 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

hawken is like pre earth expansion battle tech with a bunch of light fossil fueled scout mechs with paper armor and machine guns hehe.

it may or may not be a fun fps, but its defeinitely just a reskin of the stock shooter formula with enjanced jumping!

mwo is a sim experience and the kind of game play i much prefer when done correctly!

ps since i didnt see it in their nda, i got to play some practice mode of reign of thunder, it really is just mechassault 3, 3rd person view, cheesy bullshit, die in 2 seconds and chain respawn deathmatching. they have mechs with predator cloak ffs!

Edited by LordDeathStrike, 03 June 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#11 Antaumus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

It's not the same genre as MWO, It's in the same thing as unreal tournament, tribes etc. Fast action. I loved UT but now I'm too old and slow :( Not downing there work it looks great and if I was 16 I would love to play it.

#12 Zack Delphirian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

Not a fan of this...It looks more as a short ad than an "action-live", except if they make like 35 of them seen how short that is...

That won't stop me from trying out the game on release though, and even before that if I can get into the beta !

#13 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Nice promo trailer, looks very well done.

It seems like the "Mecha Fad" is making a cyclical return to fame.

#14 Frostiken

• 1,156 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

Unfortuantely, Hawken isn't a mecha game, it's an FPS game with mech visuals, no different if you had just slapped a cockpit overlay on Doom. Don't be deceived. All the depth you take for granted in Mechwarrior isn't there at all in Hawken.

Edited by Frostiken, 03 June 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#15 tigerwolf753

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostFrostiken, on 03 June 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

Unfortuantely, Hawken isn't a mecha game, it's an FPS game with mech visuals, no different if you had just slapped a cockpit overlay on Doom. Don't be deceived. All the depth you take for granted in Mechwarrior isn't there at all in Hawken.

I think we can all agree that Hawken isn't a mech sim in the style of MechWarrior. It is closer to a twitch-style shooter with mechs.

What's cool though is that this is just a teaser for a series of short films being made by the creative director of Gears of War: http://www.escapistm...ing-This-Summer

That is the reason I'm excited. There is interest out there in doing mech films and we now have the technology to translate MechWarrior to the big screen and do it justice. Plus, that dark, gritty, realistic style is in fashion in Hollywood (Game of Thrones, Batman, District 9, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) and that would suit the BT universe perfectly.

#16 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hawken looks fun for a quick romp, reminds me of the quick arcade mechs like virtual on but more urban and "CoD"

Edited by SquareSphere, 04 June 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#17 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

The substance of this game seems to be external to the game itself (novel, digital shorts, etc...) and if it works, might be a stepping stone in the way RP content is delivered in online games.

As far as the gameplay itself, it does not look revolutionary at all, simple DOOM in a robot (again with big freaking cockpits).

And some of these videos have got the serious shaky cam going on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users