Mechwarrior Online Is Melting Down

136 replies to this topic

#21 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostRenthrak, on 07 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

"There's a bug with this unfinished game and it's not fixed over-night. LAAAAME!" . . . . . really? Come on. Can someone please explain to these . . . people . . . that the ENTIRE REASON that we are PLAYING MWO is to FIND these bugs, so that they can be FIXED? That's what 'beta' means.

during closed beta, the real "beta" in the traditional sense, they explicitly stated for a free2play title, going open beta was the same as launch

that's why all your mc purchases are now final, your mech xp and cbills are all final, basically your "character" progress is final. because this is launch. people aren't being spoiled. they're just not oblivious to reality

Edited by p00k, 07 April 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#22 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

That OP was a pleasant surprise. I expected another thread of DOOOOOOOOM.

And yes, the HUD stuff is unacceptable. We played a couple league matches (10 drops) and I don't think we got through one where one team or the other didn't have at least 2 people with HUD issues.

#23 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postp00k, on 07 April 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

during closed beta, the real "beta" in the traditional sense, they explicitly stated for a free2play title, going open beta was the same as launch

that's why all your mc purchases are now final, your mech xp and cbills are all final, basically your "character" progress is final. because this is launch. people aren't being spoiled. they're just not oblivious to reality

I'd like to see some sort of source where they've "explicitly stated" open beta is being considered as launch. From all the GDC interviews, and any interview, and any kind of hint found in any other post hinting at a launch - it's this summer with the arrival of Community Warfare. They've went to open beta and decided that any progress made is progress made. They're not resetting any information - not because it's a launch - but because they want you to be rewarded for testing, not being faced with the "f--k this is a waste of time. everything I do is just getting reset again" feeling. It's to keep you here, playing the game, so that they can get data, numbers, etc etc etc. But wait! Achievements? Oh yeah, with the arrival of achievements they're going to be resetting some of your stats, proof that the game isn't actually FINAL and we are subject to those kinds of changes.

I've never said to an artist that his work-in-progress is actually done and he/she should stop lieing and just put a frame around it. If the guy says it's not done, it's not done. If PGI says it's beta, we should heed it as a beta until they deem it otherwise.

#24 Nicholai Matowski

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

These aren't bugs people. They are features. To help the Immersion factor, they decided to make the mechs as if they were LosTech.

>.>

#25 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

View Postp00k, on 07 April 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Then why slip sept 12 as a tentative "release". The no more resets is simply to prevent the outcry from spent mc being a waste.

Path of exile is in the same state. F2P title with launch slated for later in the year, microtransactions can and are happening, and the final stat wipe happened some months ago. (If your a diablo fan try it btw)

Edited by Ralgas, 07 April 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#26 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 07 April 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

I've never said to an artist that his work-in-progress is actually done and he/she should stop lieing and just put a frame around it. If the guy says it's not done, it's not done. If PGI says it's beta, we should heed it as a beta until they deem it otherwise.

There is a saying that says something like, an artist never finishes their work, they just give up on it. But to me, I am totally aware we are in beta and it is acceptable to be working on nailing bugs. My only gripe is, the HUD bugs seem to be oddly persistent and hard to nail down for quite a long time, I sure hope they sort it out eventually.

Edited by MentalPatient, 07 April 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#27 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostMentalPatient, on 07 April 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

There is a saying that says something like, an artist never finishes their work, they just give up on it. But to me, I am totally aware we are in beta and it is acceptable to be working on nailing bugs. My only gripe is, the HUD bugs seem to be oddly persistent and hard to nail down for quite a long time, I sure hope they sort it out eventually.

Bungie knew how to do it (before Mircosoft got too much control), "it'll release when it's finished"

#28 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostNicholai Matowski, on 07 April 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

These aren't bugs people. They are features. To help the Immersion factor, they decided to make the mechs as if they were LosTech.

>.>

I thought about commenting on that, because half the broke HUD effects are the same kinds of things talked about in the early fluff (before BattleTech shifted from "Mad Max with robots" to "We can make all kinds of robots!" after the data core.)

Edited by Victor Morson, 07 April 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#29 Kekkone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 07 April 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

I'd like to see some sort of source where they've "explicitly stated" open beta is being considered as launch.

That source is in ones mind. The moment you offer the opportunity to invest in play experience enhancing microtransactions during a beta, the word becomes subjective and divides people into 2 groups:
- Those that consider it crowdfunding, a pre-order or the likes
- Those that demand a solid return for their investment

Both opinions have merit imo, but i'm glad i don't have premium time ticking down :P

If PGI says it's beta, we should heed it as a beta until they deem it otherwise.

Wargaming.net has kept Clan Warfare in World of Tanks at beta-stage for 2 years, with no real incentive to actually develop a "final" concept. It works well enough usually, and they haven't even made significant changes to it during that time. They just fling the all winning beta-card every time someone complains about server side errors ruining their experience, and chance for a fair fight against a rival clan.

Edited by Kekkone, 07 April 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#30 KingDerp

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

At the start of open beta the frame rate was crappy but the client was pretty stable.
They did improve the frame rates, caustic being somewhat of an exception but even caustic is better than it was.

As of the last 3 weeks the client is far less stable, bugs are happening at a greater rate, I'm seeing bugs
I've never seen before and experiencing CTDs not experienced before.

Being a hardcore BT/MW fan is the only thing keeping me playing and I'm losing interest rapidly.

If true fans of the genre are losing interest how can MWO appeal to a wide enough audience to stay alive ?

#31 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostKingDerp, on 07 April 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

If true fans of the genre are losing interest how can MWO appeal to a wide enough audience to stay alive ?

beats solitaire

#32 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Judging from these replies quite a few people are either not reading my post or not comprehending it.

I am not talking about minor annoyances, I am talking about serious issues preventing normal game play in around 50% of matches.
I am not QQing or raging at PGI. I am not predicting doom or making demands
I am not talking about my bad luck as a 1%er who has issues.

I am talking about issues affecting a significant number of players.
I am pointing out that since I started playing in closed beta, this is the first time that I can't functionally play the game at all.
I am saying that I miss playing because I enjoy the game, and hope the issues are resolved in short order.

That is all.

#33 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Just a guess here, but we'll likely see another hotfix sometime early this week. A few days of bugs isn't a meltdown.

#34 JimSuperBleeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 473 posts
  • LocationZimbabwe

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

This happens to me all the time. It started last patch and the hotfix did nothing but make it happen more. I can't even play really because I don't want to be that person that D/C and ruins other peoples games.

Posted Image

#35 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostRenthrak, on 07 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Holy CRAP people are spoiled.

"There's a bug with this unfinished game and it's not fixed over-night. LAAAAME!" . . . . . really? Come on. Can someone please explain to these . . . people . . . that the ENTIRE REASON that we are PLAYING MWO is to FIND these bugs, so that they can be FIXED? That's what 'beta' means.

Bugs are going to happen, stop acting surprised. Take note of the bugs, report them, and carry on. If your game is unplayable, wait for the next patch. It's not rocket science. Feel free to complain when a bug hasn't been fixed for a couple months, if you feel it needs to be a higher priority. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time and ours.

yes very spoiled when PGI and IGP aggresively market this game and expect to get financial returns on a product that doesn't work.

So entitled...

#36 jetjaguar2000

Rookie

• 2 posts

The "disco ball" bug is the only really serious one, and it obviously does have to do with your video card drivers. If you keep saying "don't say it's drivers, it's not the drivers!!@!!" and you haven't actually updated your drivers because you think you know better, you're wrong. Update your drivers according to the information in the patch notes.

#37 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

kalidiscope bug came up last patch. Drives me a bit nuts and alt-tab the hell out of it. I can go matches without seeing it then 3-4 matches straight with it. I hope it gets fixed soon, we'll see. All the other hud bugs i can deal with as I can still see. To a guy above saying he's a paying customer. Sorry man that's by choice. I give them funds too, but I do this of my own free will realizing what the state of the game is.

#38 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 07 April 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

So what. It's a patch that came with a few bugs.

Are you getting angry that PGI is oblivious to bugs?
Send in a ticket and make them aware. No sense QQ'ing about it when the next patch comes out in 2 weeks. Sometimes, it might even take FOUR weeks to isolate the bug, reproduce it, find what's causing it, figuring out how to fix it, making sure that it doesn't affect anything else, and if one of those things take a little extra longer.... yeh. it's going to take some time, and just gatta cool your jets. Do what you can, report things, it's beta, play the game, if you can't, then wait.

i'll file support tickets when PGi enables the debug tools on our clients.

If we don't have access to those tools then my support tickets will be utterly meaningless.

Any one saying otherwise really hasn't every worked in or with people in QA, being given nebulous descriptions of problems that you have to recreate is pretty bloody hard where as with debug tools on and a log out put you can nail down exactly what the hell is going on.

#39 Stalephreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 295 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostGooner, on 07 April 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Oh, this is a bug? Okay, I got that yesterday on River City, but I wasn't sure if it was a new "feature". You know when you load up the game without reading patch notes and then realise "oh, the game does this now, that's cool". I was thinking while heading to upper city "what does all this colour coding mean? Is it something to do with map heat?" Then I started shooting mechs and forgot about investigating it until just now :)

With that bug, If you zoom out to the big map, you'll not the word "IMG:". Specifically, the map graphic fails to load. Can't blame that on my video card, not when it's worked all this time and randomly shuts down. We could probably guess it has to do with PGI's view that programmers are rocket scientists.

#40 Verbrand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

yeah yesterday was mental trying to play.

I had all the bugs in the OP plus a few random mid game disconnects
I know if wasn't me as my housemate had the same problems.

And this was after a clean install with updating all the driver.
The lag wasn't at our end as I could get about 130ms ping to other servers in Canada from Europe.

Oh and the disco/kaleidoscope bug is fixed temporarily by pressing alt enter

Edited by Verbrand, 08 April 2013 - 07:55 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users