Team Tournament Announcement: Saturday April 6Th, 2013

21 replies to this topic

#1 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

What follows is the basic format for a team tournament to occur on Saturday April 6, 2013. The competition is open to all teams interested. So far I don't see a cap on the number of teams, but it could change if interest is much more than I can handle. If anyone has any questions/proposed changes you can post them below and they will be answered and added to the original post. Thank you very much for your interest, good luck, and have fun.

Alshain Open (8 Man Team Tournament)
Saturday April 6, 2013 (9PM Eastern)

The Great House Kurita and DCMS would like to present, the Alshain Open, an 8 man open tournament to promote competition between the best teams within the Combine and Inner Sphere. As an alternative to well known competitions such as Run Hot or Die and others, the Alshain Open was conceived as a open style tournament, in which 8 man teams would battle for supremacy in a simultaneous drop format over a wide variety of planets and terrain types.

Other community based competitions have attempted to build scheduled tournament structures or community warfare maps with widely varying degrees of success. The main obstacle preventing their proper function-ability has been the need to schedule matches between competing teams, an endeavor which is nearly impossible on a continuing bases. The Alshain Open takes place on a single date in which all participating teams will be present and results will be available shortly thereafter. If it is successful, it may be continued and modified as need be for future competition. The competition will occur over a 3 hour time period +/-.

Tournament Rule Set:

Participating Teams and Registration:
* Two threads will be opened within the House Kurita forum for each tournament. The first will be an announcement declaring the date and time of competition with these and other applicable rules. The second will be a pledge thread in which a representative of each team will post their intent to participate as well as a roster of their team. The pledge thread is not for immediate entry but to gauge interest in the tournament.
* All teams must run a constant player base of 8 players who take part in all of their matches. Teams may make three substitutes during tournament play to replace a departed member, but following this, no others will be permitted. If they are unable to field a team, they will not be able to accrue additional matches towards the final total.
* All teams must designate a representative who will be responsible for tallying match results and keeping a screen shot of every results screen. If a team does not have the resources to do this, they can be directed as to where to find them.
* On the date of the tournament, registration will open 45 minutes prior to the first drop time. Team reps must be present at some point within the opening and the start of play in order to confirm their attendance. Each team will be assigned a number for record keeping. Each team is encouraged to come up with an original name which will describe them.
* The tournament drop schedule shall be a 2/2/2/2 combination defined as 2 Lights, 2 Mediums, 2 Heavies, and 2 Assaults. There was concern that not specifying a specific drop schedule would result in an abundance of top-heavy teams and imbalanced matches.

Cycle of Play:
* A total of 12 drops will be counted towards each teams' record in the competition standings. Combat drops will occur as close to 15 minute intervals as practical. The team representative must be present in the tournament room on TeamSpeak in order to drop together with all participating teams. The full tournament time will be on the order of three hours but may extend a bit further if drops are taking longer, which is well within the reasonable play limits of most players. The intent in increasing drop times is not to allow players to tinker with their mechs, but to give time for matches to legitimately be located, played, and finalized.
* Teams will be given the allowance of one missed drop for which they may attempt to drop slightly behind schedule or wait until the next sync drop at their choosing. Successive missed drops will result in a .5 win deduction from their final score.
* Drops will be counted down and completed as close to these intervals as counted by the organizer. Verizon cell system time will be used as the official game clock. It is encouraged that team members have their mechs ready within the home screen of the mech lab as the group will not wait for anyone to set their mechs up or be AFK. There will be zero tolerance for teams not ready on their own volition.

Scorekeeping and Declaration of Winners:
* At the close of the competition, each team rep will convene within the tournament channel and declare their records. The winning team will submit screen shots for verification. Everyone will be encouraged to record with fraps, Bandicam, or any other recorder. It can be used as proof of match results as you said, but could also be posted on YouTube as promotion for the game and tournament, and used to make an edite highlight reel of the action.

Tiebreakers:
1st Tiebreaker: Direct head to head records between any two or more teams tied for first will be the first and most important tie breaker.
2nd Tiebreaker: Team Efficiency. The second tie breaker will be a team efficiency statistic, which will measure the overall effectiveness (or not) of the competition teams. The formulation is based upon the summation of everyone's results for each match and is as follows:

(Kills by the Team - Kills by the Enemy) / Matches Played

The statistic rewards dominance but not attritional warfare, applies to teams who prefer to cap base, but does not reward them as much as others as they may lack the overall kill differential. Kills alone are not a good measure of a team as one or two players may carry a team many times. Damage dealt is also not very accurate as it can be related to weapon choice. An LRM heavy team may inflict much more damage than one with members who surgically core their opponents.

Alternative Tiebreaker: As an alternative, if there are several teams with the same record who wish to play on, one or two matches may be added to the competition to separate them. This tiebreak is dependent on whether the teams wish to continue or let statistical tiebreakers determine the winner and will be decided at the close of the regularly scheduled matches in the case of a tie.

Question and Answer:

Q: The Magician: "I'm assuming that you will be staggering the drop times, so that we don't have more than 2 teams in the tourney trying to drop at a time?"

A: My initial concept was for the field to drop concurrently so that their opponents would be randomized not knowing who or how many teams will actually come for the tournament. We have interest and pledges from some teams that they are coming, but unfortunately, there is no way of knowing until the event actually takes place. I will most likely not be playing it in the interest of objectivity, and so that I can run a master list and spreadsheet.

Q: BigJim: "I think it's a very interesting concept - I dunno about the 15-minute, I know a lot of teams who will take a match to the full 15-min rather than rush a plan from a bad spawn against a team that has a stronger position (and I admire teams that can do that), imo a 20-min cycle would be better, to allow the odd bio, to get a coffee, to get screenies converted to .JPG, renamed, and uploaded after the match, etc..

I think you'll end up with a lot of pissed off teams if it's 15mins exactly & guys end up missing matches because they're stuck in a drop for 14 mins & can't get ready in time (the game can take an age to ready up after a match for some people), but still, I do like the overall idea & think it has merit."

A: I agree, and in the end you may see match starts begin to stagger a bit off of the 15 minute exact timing in order for teams to all assemble. The easiest way to ensure the maximum amount of teams are present is for the reps to preface their names in TS with their team number, so the TS will order it for me (hopefully), and I can see at a glance how many are there.

Q: Khavi Vetali: How do you plan to handle disconnects and crashes at or before match start? Play it through? If I missed this in the ruleset please point it out.

A: DC's and CTD's will be played through of course. Everyone will be playing through at the same time and it is assumed that there will be no purposeful disconnects. That said, it is not the fault of any team to have DC's so the opposing team would still like their result to stand as well given the limited number of drops. So in short, the teams are encouraged to play even if given a handicap due to a random CTD.

Q: Fallen: Your going to run into a lot of problems, I feel, if you do strict 15 minute intervals. Why not just do 20-25 minute intervals and do a mass sync drop at the same time? This allows you to maintain your plan to randomize the matches while also allowing the the random yet inevitable occursions to not destroy any order, I definitely think it could be done;however, the level of planning and manpower needed to keep everything working - to keep all (Number of teams times 8) variables working in synchrony is impractical. This does mess with your time planned of 3 hours but couldn't you simply reduce the number of drops by 3 or 4?

A: The times have been reviewed and revised. 20 to 25 minutes is a bit too long to keep the field waiting while most teams are readied up. I'm assuming that many teams will already know the preferred mech types that their members will bring and will be able to ready up in an orderly fashion. Drop times may tend to creep closer to 20 minutes per, but anything greater than this is impractical. We will aim to drop quicker if possible given the rate at which matches can be played out.

-k

Edited by Kdogg788, 20 March 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#2 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Nice idea and we need to work on 8 anyway.

#3 Prophetic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 750 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

We are in!

#4 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Good to have you! Chances are teams will filter in and more will show up on the day.

-k

#5 FarEYE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

I can see it now, my team will have 2 people wanna quit...

#6 mechapenguin

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

Sounds like a good idea. I like how it doesn't drag out and require you to form up your team at weird times. I'll see if my merc group wants to put together an entry.

#7 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

I will add the House Kurita TS information if it is unknown to the participants. Also, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here. I am on the forums most days and will answer them as a response and include the information within the master post.

-k

#8 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Sounds interesting.

I'm assuming that you will be staggering the drop times, so that we don't have more than 2 teams in the tourney trying to drop at a time?

SJR will likely compete.

#9 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

@Magi; I get the impression he's doing that on purpose, so that all teams drop at the same time, and thus it's essentially random who you drop against.
Hence the strict rolling, 15-minute drop schedule, so everyone is dropping together as a big mass for a total of 12x cycles, and whoever wins the most matches (according to the OP's criteria) wins. :)

I think it's a very interesting concept - I dunno about the 15-minute, I know a lot of teams who will take a match to the full 15-min rather than rush a plan from a bad spawn against a team that has a stronger position (and I admire teams that can do that), imo a 20-min cycle would be better, to allow the odd bio, to get a coffee, to get screenies converted to .JPG, renamed, and uploaded after the match, etc..

I think you'll end up with a lot of pissed off teams if it's 15mins exactly & guys end up missing matches because they're stuck in a drop for 14 mins & can't get ready in time (the game can take an age to ready up after a match for some people), but still, I do like the overall idea & think it has merit.

Edited by BigJim, 18 March 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#10 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

My initial concept was for the field to drop concurrently so that their opponents would be randomized not knowing who or how many teams will actually come for the tournament. We have interest and pledges from some teams that they are coming, but unfortunately, there is no way of knowing until the event actually takes place. I will most likely not be playing it in the interest of objectivity, and so that I can run a master list and spreadsheet.

What has your recent tournament sync drops suggested for successful drop rates when syncing two distinct teams? When we were in RHoD I believe we dropped successively a little over half the time.

-k

View PostBigJim, on 18 March 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

@Magi; I get the impression he's doing that on purpose, so that all teams drop at the same time, and thus it's essentially random who you drop against.
Hence the strict rolling, 15-minute drop schedule, so everyone is dropping together as a big mass for a total of 12x cycles, and whoever wins the most matches (according to the OP's criteria) wins. :)

I think it's a very interesting concept - I dunno about the 15-minute, I know a lot of teams who will take a match to the full 15-min rather than rush a plan from a bad spawn against a team that has a stronger position (and I admire teams that can do that), imo a 20-min cycle would be better, to allow the odd bio, to get a coffee, to get screenies converted to .JPG and uploaded after the match, etc..

I think you'll end up with a lot of pissed off teams if it's 15mins exactly, but still, I do like the overall idea & think it has merit.

I agree, and in the end you may see match starts begin to stagger a bit off of the 15 minute exact timing in order for teams to all assemble. The easiest way to ensure the maximum amount of teams are present is for the reps to preface their names in TS with their team number, so the TS will order it for me (hopefully), and I can see at a glance how many are there.

-k

#11 Khavi Vetali

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 277 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

How do you plan to handle disconnects and crashes at or before match start? Play it through? If I missed this in the ruleset please point it out.

#12 FaIIen

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Your going to run into a lot of problems, I feel, if you do strict 15 minute intervals. Why not just do 20-25 minute intervals and do a mass sync drop at the same time? This allows you to maintain your plan to randomize the matches while also allowing the the random yet inevitable occursions to not destroy any order, I definitely think it could be done;however, the level of planning and manpower needed to keep everything working - to keep all (Number of teams times 8) variables working in synchrony is impractical. This does mess with your time planned of 3 hours but couldn't you simply reduce the number of drops by 3 or 4?

#13 MangoBogadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 377 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Antares Scorpions are interested but, if I read it correctly, 3 hours dropping every 20 mins with the same 8 people and only 1 sub that can only be changed once?

Personally I think more flexibility should be allowed for pilot changes.

#14 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Yes I was considering loosening up the time limits a bit but not too much so. For the subs, perhaps 2, 3 at the absolute most. I will add on a more formal response tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

-k

#15 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

The main post has been revised to reflect the most recent line of questions, with the two major revisions being:

1. Number of substitutes increased from one to three.
2. An general acceptance that match start times of exactly 15 minutes will not be practical and the start times may shift dependent on actual match times. I've noticed spectating RHoD that tourey games are not as standoff-ish as they once were, and that a decisive outcome is achieved quicker than in the past (for the most part).

-k

#16 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Good luck!

#17 Shahadet

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Just a quick shout Kdogg, to let you know that the 2nd Arkab Legion will be participating. We're a young unit, but we're looking forward to having a good time.

Cheers and see you on 4/6!

- Shahadet, Executive Officer (Chu-sa), 2nd Arkab Legion

#18 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Excellent! I'll see you then, and make sure to tell Ibrahim what's up for me and that we had some great drops with him.

On a side note, I was thinking of starting a Twitch stream if I can figure out how it works. Would it be a nice add so that those not in the main channel can hear what we are talking about?

-k

Edited by Kdogg788, 21 March 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#19 Shahadet

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostKdogg788, on 21 March 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Excellent! I'll see you then, and make sure to tell Ibrahim what's up for me and that we had some great drops with him.

On a side note, I was thinking of starting a Twitch stream if I can figure out how it works. Would it be a nice add so that those not in the main channel can hear what we are talking about?

-k

Will do - Ibrahim is having internet issues, so he hasn't been prepping with the rest of us, but next time I see him, I'll let him know you said hi!

As far as the Twitch stream, I think it might be cool. If you can make it work without too much hassle, go for it!

-Shah

#20 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

Just a reminder that the Tournament date is a week from tomorrow. Open to anyone who is interested. We are set to begin at 9PM Eastern Standard Time on Saturday, with team registrations open 45 minutes before then. Good luck and hope to see you all there!

-k

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users