Amazing moments

21 replies to this topic

#1 Easy 8

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

So here is what I'm looking for in this...

What are your most amazing, wow, I can't believe I just pulled that off moments. Either on the table top, in MW2, MW3, what ever just shocked you beyond belief.

Table Top: Piloting an Enforcer 5D our group (5 mechs) is ambushed by two lances of IS mechs. On the second turn I smoke a Catapult with my small laser by getting a lucky critical (two actually) to the Center torso and blowing out its gyro. The next turn I knock a Phoenix Hawk out of the sky while it attempts a death from above. It falls squarely on it's head, killing it. Same turn...small laser again, hits an old Clint, detonates the AC/5 ammo (a little help from a team mate's ER PPC helped that). Two turns, three mechs.

Tesla Pods: Using a Night Star 9J. Fire an ER Small laser at a Shogun while in mid jump...BOOM! Couldn't even believe it hit.

So whatever yours are, feel free to share them.

#2 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have some sweet moments in Battlefield 3 where the only people that saw them happen were me and the full hand of five players I destroyed every once in a while, but this isn't the topic for it. ;)

EDIT: With an unguided tank shell to the Huey, might I add...

Edited by FACEman Peck, 03 June 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#3 Athena Hart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHesperus II (Or Spanaway, Wa IRL)

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

My best moment was while playing the tabletop game. My buddy and I were playing out my main characters first encounter with the clans using the tabletop rules. Her company, Hart's Commando's were issued a challenge by Clan Wolf (She was garisoning a planet along with my other characters Unit, Damage Inc.). After getting separated from her command lance she encounterd a Star of Omni Mechs (a Dasher, Koshi, Uller, Ryoken and a Madcat). The clanners issued her a challenge of 1 on 1 combat.

The Dasher was first to fall, she shot it in the leg with her Gauss Rifle (IS, yes, she had customized her mech with losttech) wich reduced its movement, and she ran it down and severed one of its legs immobilizing it and the Koshi fell similarly after taking an Gauss round and some laser hits. The Uller savaged her armor but was crippled as he hatchet ripped through the torso into its XL Engine crippling it. A lucky hit on the Ryoken downed it quickly (Ammo Hit on the Ryoken destroying its RT Torso and took out its engine), but not before it blasted away most of her Hatchetmans armor (though luckily no crits).

The Madcat on the other hand continued to destroy her remaining armor, hatchet and lasers and her Gauss Rifle ran out of ammo. Having crippled one of the Madcats legs I used a desperation move.. With no weapons or armor, and nowhere to run I went for the "Death From Above), my friend and I decided that the Madcat pilot would not have been aware of the Hatchetmans modifications (Namely mine had a larger engine and more jump jets) and plummeted on top of the Madcat crushing its cockpit. Sadly the Hatchetman sufferd catostrophic engine failure and its reactor nuked. My pilot used the Hatchetmans head jetison feature and "ejected" to safety.

The Clans however chased off the rest of her unit and captured her in the process. After reviewing the battle we decided that Clan Wolf, would have recognized my pilots potential and more than likely would have declared her battler her "Trial of Position" and thus she "Temporarily" joined Clan Wolf.

#4 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Awesome moments? Well, I'm relatively new to Battletech (about a year and a half - not new to MechWarrior at all, though) and haven't had much chance to play aside from monthly games hosted by our local demo team agent (who is awesome). As such, I really don't have many good stories yet.

A mildly interesting one involves last month's game. I'd brought a Banshee BNC-8S with a 3/4 pilot, Jenner JR7-C2 with a 2/5 pilot, and Spider SDR-5V with a 4/5 pilot as my 5000 BV contribution to my team's side of the fight. It was near the end of the game and things had finally gotten down into knife range. My Banshee was running hot to keep its TSM activated, and I was holding off moving it so I could make a run into melee range and axe one of my opponents a few questions. As we neared the end of the movement phase, I was forced to move the Banshee since the other players on my team had more important things to do with the last few moves (we had lost initiative).

I ran my Banshee 6 hexes into some light woods, giving it a +3 movement mod but with no chance of using the axe...or so I thought. Shortly thereafter, ALL of the remaining enemy units converged on it (not to mention the others that were already in position at range, including two Pretas, a custom Hunchback, and a Marauder). A Grasshopper ran up into its rear left, a Maxim boldly drove into the hex immediately behind it (the hill two hexes behind forced prevented it from ending up at a more sane distance), and then to cap it all off a Firestarter FS9-O with custom pods also jumped 6 hexes directly into the same hex as the Maxim. At first, I was thinking, "Wow, this could really suck..." but that was swiftly replaced by, "Wait...did he just give me 8's on the Firestarter with my 38-point hatchet?

'Nuff said.

Anyway, while I don't have many epic stories pertaining to things I've done, I do have several that were amazing for my opponent. There's one in particular that was simply ridiculous.

I was introducing two of my buddies to the game and set up a game on two mapsheets with two mixed lances vs. one assault lance, balanced by BV. I was fielding a Devastator DVS-3, Atlas AS7-S2, Berserker BRZ-A3, and Orion ON2-M. My opponents were an Awesome -9Q, Stalker -7D, Flashman (can't remember the exact variant; one of the 5/8 move versions), Rifleman -8D, Enforcer (forget the exact variant; had a standard AC10) Jenner JR7-C2, Hussar (again, can't remember the variant) and something else which I can't recall.

I moved my lance up into a stand of trees on a hill, limiting my opponents' ability to fire. Meanwhile, both enemy lances attempted to close the distance. After an inconclusive exchange of fire as they approached, once most of them got to around 10 hexes away things really picked up. The enemy Hussar had done an end-run around the hill and came up behind my pristine Devastator. All but one of its weapons missed, but the single medium laser that hit impacted on the head. That same turn, the rest of the enemy's weapons fire missed...except for the Enforcer's AC10, which also hit the otherwise pristine Devastator's head. (Interestingly, I had a Hussar headcap a Nighstar of mine in a different game. To this day, I hate seeing a Hussar on the enemy team.)

Anyway, that was not the end of my bad luck for the game. The next round was auspicious enough: my Berserker bum-rushed the Rifleman, which tried to paste it with it's RAC-5's, and both rolled low and jammed. Then, in the physical attack phase, my Berserker cleaved cleanly through the Rifleman's cockpit with its axe. The following round, however...

For the preceeding two rounds, my forces had been liberally pelting the Stalker with long-range weapons fire, and its torso armor was more a memory than fact. My Berserker had taken some damage in the previous round, but was mostly fine. It charged up to the Stalker to finish it off and got pelted by just about everything on the enemy team. Despite taking an engine hit when its left-torso armor failed (and being otherwise minimally damaged), the Bersker was still fully combat capable...until I failed my PSR for taking more than 20 damage. The Berserker fell directly on its left torso and critted itself in the remaining two engine slots. Scratch one Berserker.

Now it was down to my Atlas and Orion. Nearly pristine Atlas (it had taken 6 damage up to this point) - first enemy shot rolls snake eyes for the hit location and crits the engine. Next shot? Also rolls snake eyes and crits two more engine slots. The Atlas falls over dead.

With only an Orion left, I conceded the game.

Edited by Wrayeth, 03 June 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#5 phelancracken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Best one I can recall is where I saw a Viper/ Dragonfly run to range 8 of a Blood Asp and give it 8s to hit. The Blood Kite that is...and it alpha striked. I swear, the Viper pilot must have stopped, opened the cockpit, draped a mech sized bull's eye target and was waving flags saying "Hit me! I am right HERE!" It was hilarious, the Blood Asp.....WIFFED completely.

The second best one I can recall happened years ago, doing a nite battle with IS versus clan second line mechs. I was running an Atlas 7© that was trying to get to the extraction point. A Warhammer IIC had got there before me and a Grasshopper was engaging it. I had gotten into LRM range with swarms and the 'Hammer was not next to the 'Hopper. I asked my teammate if he wanted some light due to everyone not turning on lights and missing from night fighting modifiers. The look on the Grasshopper players face was priceless. He saw the warhammer figure pop down and then his then my Atlas and said no big deal. Until he was reminded it was a Warhammer IIC. 80 ton second line clan assault not an IS 70 ton heavy. His jaw hit the floor and the AAAWWWW SHOOT! moment was priceless. He was "slightly" outmassed.. :)

Edited by phelancracken, 04 June 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#6 Sigmund Sandoval

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson, Draconis March

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

This happened to my character "Hagar the Bear" in a Ghost Bear Mechwarrior game run by my buddy Mitch. It was played out on table top with miniatures using both Mechwarrior RPG rules and Battletech rules.

Hagar was one of the few men in the galaxy that enjoyed the sensation of the KF drive. To him, it was something of a spiritual experience. On Ancient Terra, the Bear Totem professes that from within all external answers can be discovered. Such was the feeling of being pulled inside out while crossing through hyperspace to a new and distant star. Hagar knew that such mysticism was utter rubbish, after all the Ghost Bear Clan was known for its practicality, but somewhere deep within him, he knew the importance of these myths and legends and paid them the heed they were due.

As he came out of the daze of hyperspace transport Hagar immediately sprung out of his harness noticing that the “yellow alert” message was running bright on the wall, which meant that there was trouble to be had on this “routine” jump. The half elemental/half mechwarrior freeborn had some trouble moving through the confines of the small jumpship due to the incredible bulk lent to him by his genetically engineered father, but thanks to his mother’s design he had the lithe reflexes and tight motor control to compensate. Reaching for the nearest rung of the corridor designed for zero-g maneuvering he launched himself to the control center of the space craft.

Once there, it was if he was floating in the vastness of space itself. The view gallery of the Thorkeld, a Hunter class jumpship was lined with view-screens that imaged, in perfect definition, the area outside the vessel. Hagar still marveled at the sheer vastness of space and drank the images deeply. Immediately he saw the reason for concern. Another vessel had materialized at the nadir jump point near or about the same time as they had aboard the Thorkeld.

One of the view screens zoomed in on the vessel whose markings clearly identified it as a Nova Cat jumpship. The ship had not been here long since it had yet to begin extending its jump sails to recharge its drive for further jumps. Abruptly, the face of a Nova Cat warrior flickered into view on the center screen.

“This is Galaxy Commander Phillip Devalis of Clan Nova Cat, aboard the Starpanther. Please identify yourself and your mission here.”

After some formal introductions and other “pleasantries”, it was obvious that there seemed to be some sort of contention between the two vessels respective commanders. Being a freeborn Star Captain of a second line unit, Hagar was not made privy to the exact details of the argument. All Hagar knew was that the missions of these respective vessels were somehow at odds and a heated discussion over being allowed to re-charge the jump drive had begun.
Apparently, the Nova Cats laid claim to the star which we were orbiting and had decided that we did not have “permission” to jump to here nor use it as a staging area. This seemed preposterous to Hagar since it was well known that this was an unoccupied star system within the borders of the Draconis Combine, who would most likely claim sovereignty over this star if anyone bothered to ask about it. It had but one barely habitable rock orbiting it with little to no valuable resources, an oxygen rich block of rocky ice in the middle of nowhere.
It was not long before it was concluded that this should be decided through a Trial of Possession. Hagar smiled inwardly thinking that there was some ironic poetry in the concept of fighting a Trial of Possession over starlight. He also knew that this situation presented a unique opportunity. Soon a bidding war will start between all the Star Captains over who would have the honor of fighting the duel. He also knew that the expedition carried only two Trinaries. Which meant that even though he was leading a freeborn sybco in second line ‘mechs, he would be invited to the bidding. That being the case, for once his low status amongst the Clans caste system would work to his advantage.
Hagar let the bidding start. It started with one Trinary and kept dwindling down to a Star then individual Mechwarriors. Hagar bided his time and let the war of egos become heated and when the time was right he rose to his full stature and declared, “I bid one Heavy class second line ‘mech, piloted by myself, a freeborn Mechwarrior.” This meant that in order to beat Hagar’s bid someone else had to bid a second line ‘mech of lesser tonnage versus an enemy unit of one medium omni and 4 second line light ‘mechs. The room fell silent and the honor was Hagar’s.

Hagar chose a Grizzly for the battle. It was a solid heavy second line ‘mech. Plenty of long range firepower including a Gauss rifle and LRM 10 and plenty of close range firepower with several classes of pulse lasers. It could also jump and carried 13 tons of armor, which gave it a decent amount of survivability even against faster machines. He was up against a couple of Jenner IIc’s, a Locust IIc, a Commando IIc and a Nova Prime.

After being dropped in on the iceball of a planet, Hagar began a systems check. The Technician Caste mechanics kept his machines in top shape and he knew that even though the Grizzly he was piloting was ancient by design, it would serve him well. He hit his throttle and began to move in. First to come into sensors range was the Locust. “Damn that thing is fast”, thought Hagar as the machine sprinted across the icy landscape at almost 130 km/h. The one good thing about garrison duty, Hagar thought to himself, is that you get a lot of experience against fast raiders. The open terrain being gobbled up by the light ‘mech provided little cover and Hagar had his number. Its Mechwarrior pilot was running a classic evasion pattern, one Hagar had seen many times before. He brought his Gauss Rifle to bear, aimed a tad low, led the target and fired. The electrical snap of the rifle followed by its sonic boom filled Hagar’s head like the ringing of a bell. One…. Two…. Three…and…… the Locust’s left leg exploded with the massive kinetic energy of the Gauss round. The poor light ‘mech staggered for a second, the second that Hagar needed to lock his LRM 10 on target. By sheer luck he managed a near perfect spread, taking out the endo-steel that still held the left leg together. One target, out.

Over a hill to the west he saw the enemy Star Captain in his Nova, but there was something wrong about it. Hagar was told that it would be a Nova Prime, armed with only ER Mediums. Hagar had hoped to use range and mobility to fend off the superior omni ‘mech for a while giving the freeborn some time to reduce the imbalance of numbers by taking out some of the lighter machines. This was no Nova Prime, it was a Nova type A. With two ER PPC’s! Suddenly his HUD started blaring target lock warnings as he saw the telltale mass of electrostatic energy that was not one, but TWO PPC blasts. Hagar lunged to the left and avoided one shot, but the second hit the Grizzly’s right arm soundly. After the initial EMP “fuzz” caused by the electric discharge cleared, warning indicators lit the inside of the heavy ‘mech like a Christmas tree. His armor held, but it would seem that the Grizzly’s old design flaw decided to manifest. The armor on his arm had melted into his arm joint and fused the actuator. Unless his target was on the ground, there would be little chance that the powerful weapon would be able to get a bead on any targets. Hagar’s main offensive asset was gone. With typical Ghost Bear stoicism, Hagar let out a sigh and dumped the Gauss Rifles ammo and hit the jump jets to fly into some nearby cover.
Hagar scanned the landscape, mostly snow drifts and craggy rocks. To the south was a long straight ravine. Hagar decided to take his chances there. Quickly he moved towards the w rend in the ice, putting some more distance between him and the enemy Star Captains PPC’s. The two Jenners popped up on his scope. Hagar put his back to the ravine and turned to open fire with his LRMs. Hagar didn’t have much time to rain down with his only remaining long range weapon. The Jenners were eating the terrain faster than an elemental eating a protein bar. Hagar managed to let off a few salvos that did little to slow the Jenner’s advance. The scout ‘mechs began to open up with their SRM’s at extreme range. Hagar stood his ground taking a few light hits on his torsos and jumped into the ravine before they hit their medium range.

The waiting was tense. He knew that the two light ‘mechs should reach him soon. The tight quarters in this icy tomb would severely limit mobility giving the advantage to Hagar. The downside is that he might not have enough jump distance to get back out. Hagar could only hope that there was some place along the length of this ravine that he might use to get back out.

Looking up he spotted the first Jenner jumping to the other side of the ravine. The Ghost Bear was already waiting for just that, thinking that they would want to come at him from two angles. Hagar let loose with his Large, Medium and Small pulse lasers. He was planted for the shot and was under the Jenner as it jumped in a nice smooth predictable arc. All three lasers hit home landing a good hit on the Jenners hip, melting straight through the armor and into the ‘mechs most important motive actuator. Hagar heard a crash and the sound of twisting metal and could only guess that the poor Nova Cat had less than soft landing. Then Hagar heard nothing.

It would seem that the second Jenner pilot was not at all amused with what had happened to his counterpart and decided that it was time to use some tactical reasoning instead of charging straight at a Heavy battlemech. After some tense waiting, Hagar saw a ping on his scope. Apparently the other Jenner decided to run down the ravine before jumping in. There was plenty of cover to be had in here. It would be hard to get a clear shot at his small enemy. All of a sudden, target lock signals started going off and missiles came flying from everywhere.
As Hagar tucked and rolled, bracing for impact, he came to several conclusions. First, the missiles were coming from two directions, which means that there was more than one ‘mech firing at him. This meant that either the first Jenner managed not only to survive its landing but get itself into the ravine or the Commando found a way in that does not require jump jets. The second option was a little more attractive since it meant that he would be able to get the Grizzly out of this place to maneuver once the Nova finally closed in, which would probably be sooner than later.

Missiles hit all over the Grizzly, but Hagar managed to keep the old thing upright. Getting his bearings he did realize that the Commando was indeed in there with him with the undamaged Jenner. Hopefully this was only a two on one brawl, for now.
The melee took for what seemed ever, but Hagar managed to take out the two lighter ‘mechs with some slagged armor and a wounded left leg to show for it. Backtracking in the direction of the Commando's initial fire, Hagar managed to find a place to get out from inside the ravine.

As soon as he came out, two PPC shots flew towards him. One hit him in the wounded leg, crippling much of its internal structure and the other slammed straight into the cockpit.
Hagar's hair was standing on end, the sweat that had beaded on his face from the intense fight he just won froze almost instantly in the frigid air. Most of the glass of the Grizzlys cockpit was shattered and the Ghost Bear felt a sharp persistent pain in his right thigh. Apparently some shrapnel from the shattered cockpit had pierced his leg and was jutting out a good eight inches through the skin. His elemental genetics kicked in and the pain just made him angry.
His opponent was honorable and allowed Hagar to get his wounded heavy mech upright as the two faced off. Despite of Hagar's and his Grizzly's condition, they were still a dangerous foe as they began to dance around each other and trade shots. Hagar won an early victory and managed to put out one of his enemies arms, but the Nova Cat managed to take the right arm off the Grizzly as well. Hagar thought to himself grimly, "I will trade your PPC for a useless damaged Gauss Rifle any day.

All Hagar could smell was smoke and grim determination. Not afraid of overheating, since his engine was the only thing keeping him from hypothermia, he pushed on. Firing his LRM at point blank range, removing all the safeties Hagar took the second arm off his enemy. Hagar could hear the Nova Cat cursing in his cockpit. Not that it mattered much, Hagar was down to paper armor and most of his systems were flashing a very unpleasant red. His leg was almost gone, his LRM still had ammo but his Small Pulse was the only other weapon he could rely on. His opponent on the other hand had some major scrapes, was also nursing a bumb leg, but still had a medium pulse laser and most importantly wasn't pumping blood out of a wounded thigh.

The Nova Cat moved in for the kill speeding up to bring his medium pulse laser to point blank range, aiming low for the Grizzly's wounded leg and for some reason MISSED! Infuriated the Nova Cat pilot just wanted to end this and defeat this freeborn surat once and for all. Throwing honor to the wind the Nova pilot turned and KICKED the Grizzly in its wounded leg. The heavy mechs leg had had enough and began to crumble as it fell on its back. Hagar struggled to keep control, but he knew it was useless, he was going down, but his instincts took over as he twisted the mech to one side using the last of his momentum and hit his jump jets. The plasma torch that was the Grizzly's jump jet hit the Nova's wounded leg and it began to fall gracelessly to the ground.

At that point there was silence. Nothing but a howling wind and two hearts pounding with rage. Hagar unbuckled his restraints and simply climbed out of the shattered cockpit. His leg hurt like hell and he left a trail of blood on the snow as he staggered towards his enemies wreck. The Nova's cockpit opened and Hagar got his first look at the Nova Cat pilot. He was slender and graceful. Long dark hair with piercing blue predatory eyes. The Mechwarrior was almost shaking with uncontrolled rage. Undaunted by Hagar’s sheer bulk, he hurled his 200 pounds at him like a leaping puma. Hagar's mind was cool. Everything was happening in slow motion now. He could almost count every flake of snow that dropped from the sky. He could no longer feel his leg, nor could he feel his hands or the skin on his face. It was no matter, it was all about to be over. The Nova Cat Mechwarrior leapt at Hagar with a vibro knife in hand intending to bury the blade as deeply into the freeborns chest as he could. Hagar stepped aside, let the Nova Cat pass by him slightly and reached out with both hands. Hagar caught the manic Mechwarriors head like a football and smashed it against his leg. The wounded leg that was slowly leaking Hagar’s life blood, the wounded leg that was bringing him ever closer to unconsciousness and death, the wounded leg with a very jagged eight inch long piece of endo steel jutting out of it and now into the eye of his enemy who fell to the floor dead.

The last thing Hagar remembered before waking up aboard the Thorkeld was crawling back to his fallen Grizzly and messaging, "You are free to open up the Jump Sails, qui aff?" and his star colonel's reply, "aff."

#7 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Last Saturday, we played the first tabletop game in a campaign where we are using the A Time of War RPG, and Battletech. The game is set in 3049 (ironically the same as MWO), and the characters are newly trained Mechwarriors and Aerospace Pilots from the Wolf Spiders unit of the Wolf's Dragoons (which is just being formed after the exit of Natasha Kerensky and the Black Widows).

The characters have just finished training on Outreach, and for their final "training" mission, are sent to destroy an ore mining facility as part of the Wolf Spider's Special Reconnaissance Group. Two of us were piloting Locusts, one was piloting a Jenner, and the final player, an Assassin.

The scenario started with a Union Dropship landing on the planet being masked as an Ore pickup ship. It's complement of two Riever Aerospace Fighters launched and took out a communications array to mask the attack. The gamemaster told us that the Riever saw two tanks and a light mech guarding the facility, and said we had 15 turns to destroy the building before reinforcements arrived.

Me and the other locust took off in one direction at full speed to try and draw off the defenders while the other two approached the facility over a ridgeline from behind. The opponents ended up being a Rommel tank, a Saladin Hovertank, and a Commando mech...So we were already outclassed by 10 tons, and had to do 100 points of damage to the facility to take it out.

The Saladin went after the two locusts, and after some nail biting near misses from it's autocannon, we managed to take it out with really well placed fire and maneuver. At the same time, the Rommel and Commando didn't take the bait, and went after the Assassin and Jenner, but they were able to put some fire on the facility and start taking it down.

The Rommel scored a solid hit with its autocannon on the Jenner, but the pilot was able to eject. The Dropship launched a Skulker scout tank to pick up the pilot. My locust starting trying to engage the Commando, while the other Locust focused on the building. The Assassin was also trying to hit the building while staying in cover from the Rommel.

In all of the scuffle that ensued, the Rommel managed to score a hit on my Locust's leg, and damage took out the right torso and center torso without any ammo explosions. The Mech fell over, but my pilot was able to eject, taking a bit of damage. He headed for the rendezvous with the scout car and other pilot.

That left an unscathed Locust and Assassin vs. a 65 ton Rommel and the Commando....The amazing moment was that the two Mechs were able to destroy the building (the last hit doing exactly the number needed to bring it down), and then maneuver into some heavy woods, and escape back to the dropship before the 15 turn limit. There were a couple of turns where the Rommel got to take some pretty easy shots at the locust, but missed. It was nail-biting, and the most fun I have had playing any tabletop game or RPG in probably a decade.

The story went that the pilots survived, and became Wolf-Spiders....and the GM now allocated 200 tons between the four players to form our own lance.

#8 Griffinhart

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

Panther. PPC gone, Out of Ammo, Badly Damaged.

Crusader. Fresh, undamaged.

DFA, hit. two 6's for damage location. :) One pissed off friend. :P

#9 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRight behind you...

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

My best offering for this thread is another thread here about the Battle of Luthien :angry: But aside from that, my twin brother loved Battlemasters back in the day, so I played a one on one with him where we were both in the 3025 Battlemaster. First turn of the game he comes running up to point blank range - the hex in front of me - trying to fire all he had. He missed. I missed with everything I had save for one machine gun. Two points of damage to the center torso, backed up by the possible crit for snake eyes. Dropped up with a double gyro tap. I don't think he has ever forgiven me. :(

#10 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

My best was on AoHell MPBT Solaris
I alone was guarding a room during SSW (a weekend all out war event) a Full lance of Stiener entered to challange for the room
i was holding, I could not get a 2nd let alone a full lance. My choice was simple take on 4 to 1 or leave the room to Stiener without a fight.
I dropped in a Hunchback 4j, to my disappointment I was facing 4 Atlas's. The Stiener commander was a true warrior, and offered
1 on 1 matches, to my benifit 3 of the pilots were new and unsure how to use the atlas to its best advantage. I killed 3 in succession,
with only the Stiener Commander and myself left = to my amazement = He offered to punch out, I did the best I could without much left
on my mech.and they took the room. I still think of the Honor of that Commander.

#11 Drunken Firebat

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

During one of my first tabletop games, I was driving a 3050 refitted Ostsol (pulse lasers). Suddenly, infantry in a wood hex nearby, shooting at me!

Me: Hrm. What do I need to hit them?
GM: 10's (mind you, I was playing a newb mechwarrior, my gunnery was pretty bad).
Me: Hmm. Unarmored infantry, right?
GM: Yup.
Me: What's my base to hit to set the woods on fire?
GM: ...What?

One inflammatory barrage later and I'd flushed the infantry out into the open and mowed them down. The GM complimented me on original thinking after the battle.

#12 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

in tabletop i remember my last unit facing off against a fully armored and armed wolverine which was his last unit (mine was a beat up locust) anyways the wolverine shot me to hell that round my pilot ejected 2 hexes from his mech next round i use a last ditch effort and make the pilot attack with his pistol (1 damage weapon) i roll a 12 and hit his head it ends up being a critical hit that takes out the life support and fries the pilot of the full health wolverine i was like "holy **** since when did they give pilots api ammo"

#13 Steelgrave

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostEasy 8, on 03 June 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

So here is what I'm looking for in this...

What are your most amazing, wow, I can't believe I just pulled that off moments. Either on the table top, in MW2, MW3, what ever just shocked you beyond belief.

Table Top: Piloting an Enforcer 5D our group (5 mechs) is ambushed by two lances of IS mechs. On the second turn I smoke a Catapult with my small laser by getting a lucky critical (two actually) to the Center torso and blowing out its gyro. The next turn I knock a Phoenix Hawk out of the sky while it attempts a death from above. It falls squarely on it's head, killing it. Same turn...small laser again, hits an old Clint, detonates the AC/5 ammo (a little help from a team mate's ER PPC helped that). Two turns, three mechs.

Tesla Pods: Using a Night Star 9J. Fire an ER Small laser at a Shogun while in mid jump...BOOM! Couldn't even believe it hit.

So whatever yours are, feel free to share them.

Something tells me you were destined to drive a CGR-1A1 Charger.

Old school BT/AT story.

So, first turn, we win initiative. My friend rolls his shiny new Atlas out to midfield to try to intimidate my substantially lighter mechs into taking the far harder terrain on the flank where the rest of his lance are set up in waiting.

My first action of the turn is to cruise a Stuka right over his Atlas and drop a 100 point bomb in its lap. The bomb hits. Damage locations are rolled and the first two 10-point clusters come up boxcars.

After I insist we play out the rest of the damage rolls, he ends up with a pair of smoking Atlas legs standing mid-field.

I used to hate Stukas...

Edited by Steelgrave, 01 July 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#14 Aeryk Corsaer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I have two memorable moments I will share with you.

First, the utter joy in tabletop gaming when my Archer was cruising behind some woods, only sporadically in line-of-sight during this company on company battle at a friends house. There were two people running each company, custom mechs allowed but before Clans.

There were actually two Archers behind the woods but we only let them see one at a time. A Phoenix Hawk was sent to flush out the Archer and ran around the woods to do so. After he came behind the woods, he was only a few hexes from one Archer while six away from the other one - which surprised him but it was not the last surprise. The first Archer launched its LRM barrage to soften up the already slightly damaged P-Hawk. Then my modified Archer (the close one) after the P-Hawk had its shots got its turn.

I promptly unloaded my four SRM-6 pack barrage into it and proceeded to knock it silly. Three hits to the head knocked the pilot unconcious and then the 'Mech fell down and the pilot was unconscious for much of the rest of the game. I gained a reputation after that for SRM and head shots...

The second moment was from a tournament Championship I was in in northern California in the early 1990's. All players had to play stock 'Mechs and had a weight allotment of 220 tons. Some had two or three heavy/assault 'Mechs while others had tons of light 'Mechs with most in between. My team consisted of four Wolfhounds and a Victor. The fast, well armored hounds with the large laser moved quickly to flank opponents at large laser range as a pack. Moving in for the kill after whittling down the opponents. The leader of the hunt, the Victor, used its jumping ability to maneuver in cover if possible while closing to AC20 range. Very effective team and it got me to the championship.

In the end it was my Victor and the other guys assault 'Mech, a Stalker I believe. My hounds had died doing their duty and had killed or savaged every 'Mech but my Victor was hurt also. Some damage carried over each round, you could only repair so much and got so much ammo also. The final map we played on had hills and woods for my Victor to play in and the fight was rough and tumble. The maneuverability of my Victor was crucial and as he ripped through one of my two empty AC20 ammo bins, I cored through his center torso and destroyed his 'Mech.

The experience of a tourney with multiple battles through a Saturday attended by over 50 people was amazing! Damage that carried over was interesting but the ammo reload issue was not a factor since only one had ammo (the Wolfhounds were all energy based). Great battle where tactical edge and teamwork helped expose more than one 'Mech to a rear shot from lasers or my AC20!!!

#15 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostFACEman Peck, on 03 June 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I have some sweet moments in Battlefield 3 where the only people that saw them happen were me and the full hand of five players I destroyed every once in a while, but this isn't the topic for it. ^_^

Hitting some dude's grenade he just threw around from the corner with a rocket mid flight that kills him is always fun.

#16 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

MW3: The mission where you enter some kind of valley or gorge overlapped by a bridge. Two or three light mechs were on said bridge on max range of (I think it was) my LRM 10. I let loose and the volley hits one square, kicking it off the bridge into death. The other one decided to follow his pal voluntarily, and I sat there shaking my head...

Another one from Battlefield 2 - Project Reality: I was Insurgent and armed with a RPG, the Americans had a Blackhawk and two Littlebirds. I went to one of my favorite spots by bike to wait for enemy vehicles as one of the little buggers came up and immediately started attack runs on me. I steered my dirtbike in the next bush and got down, desperately trying to hide. The Littlebird came back again and I decided to try a shot on it with my rusty old RPG. I lined it up, took aim carefully as its .50s lit up and -swoosh- the rocket went straight up and boom. A black ball of smoke marked the hit and the helo went down right above my head crashing in the other side of the river. I kept trolling the Americans via chat for the rest of the round...

Some more, with footage.

Edited by Shredhead, 01 July 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#17 Von Falkenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

TT: At my introduction to the TT (first round ever for me) my lone Spider killed the hosting Merc unit's Colonel in his Atlas by crits to the cockpit. With that, the position of Colonel became highly undesired by said Merc chapter, forever linked with bad luck. XD

Edited by Von Falkenstein, 01 July 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#18 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostSkadi, on 01 July 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Hitting some dude's grenade he just threw around from the corner with a rocket mid flight that kills him is always fun.

What?

The?

F**K??????

Edited by FACEman Peck, 05 July 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#19 Apfelsator

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostFACEman Peck, on 03 June 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Not such a big thing, actually.Hittin a Jet with an unguided tank shell, well that was something.Or taking down a chopper with an RPG. :P

#20 shane jerricho

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationTwycross, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

This just happened a couple days ago.
My group (4 of us total) were doing a 2v2 skirmish. My buddy and I decided to try and lowball with a pair of modified Bushwackers, each packing a gauss rifle, up against the two others, one in a Marauder II and the other a Mad Cak mkII. first shot I fire lands a gauss rifle slug in the head of the Mad Cat. My teammate is right after me and nails the Marauder in the head with his gauss. 2 shots fired, 2 assault mechs dropped. I was laughing hysterically, the other 3 were in complete shock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users