2158 replies to this topic

#1081 nimdabew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 12 May 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

That is the most menacing picture of a Centurion I have seen in a long time. I love how threatening that mech looks, and feels. Now I know why it's called "Centurion"

Ah yes. They do look good don't they? You caught my good side :)

#1082 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

I missed it! ;)

Very nice pictures though - a lot more to add to my wallpaper cycle :D

#1083 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostTylerchu, on 13 May 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

How does one get an assist and 0 dmg?

View PostKoniving, on 13 May 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Damage is only registered on the score board in whole numbers. (This is why ER LL damage is so INFLATED, so many decimals).

Collide into an enemy that dies soon after. Produce damage but less than 1.

Best score I ever seen was 2 kills and 1 damage dealt.

While I don't have the Catapult crushing a friendly Raven's leg on accident example (it was epic but sad at the same time), I do have crushing a Raven's leg with a Stalker by backing into it! Listen for the sound, watch for the component destruction.

Stomp stomp CRUSH, question mark, stomp stomp stomp, laugh!

Even took some damage to my right leg when I stepped on his foot.

#1084 xSONOHx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts
  • LocationEarth (Terra)

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 May 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

Stomp stomp CRUSH, question mark, stomp stomp stomp, laugh!

Even took some damage to my right leg when I stepped on his foot.

Speaking of mechs getting stomped on, earlier I was in a battle piloting my Firestarter and I died when a team member jumped down ontop of me.

#1085 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

A bit of video from the same Stock Mech Monday that Lordred was in. You can even see him in the corners of my viewscreen on occasion.

It's two versions of an otherwise identical video.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 15 May 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#1086 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

any evening coming when you're planning to drop? I'd love to join for some smexy photoshoots of my handsome Blackjack :)

#1087 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 May 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

A bit of video from the same Stock Mech Monday that Lordred was in. You can even see him in the corners of my viewscreen on occasion.

It's two versions of an otherwise identical video.
Spoiler

That was like watching closed beta without the bugs :(
I really need to get TS installed.

#1088 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 19 May 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

any evening coming when you're planning to drop? I'd love to join for some smexy photoshoots of my handsome Blackjack :(

I do it almost every evening. Getting Lordred to drop is another story.

#1089 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

I do it almost every evening. Getting Lordred to drop is another story.

does persuasion and/or intimidation work? cause I can't afford bribery.

#1090 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

a bug and moments later you have some interesting screenshots of HPG map.

posted by someone on imgur LINK

#1091 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 20 May 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

a bug and moments later you have some interesting screenshots of HPG map.

posted by someone on imgur LINK

Wish the spectator bug could allow us to use it whenever we want in private matches.

View PostInflatable Fish, on 20 May 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

does persuasion and/or intimidation work? cause I can't afford bribery.

Balancing fixes, reduced LRM spam, some intelligent game mode design that isn't Skirmish, Skirmish with turrets, and Skirmish with Drills. Those would work beautifully well.

#1092 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 May 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Wish the spectator bug could allow us to use it whenever we want in private matches.

Balancing fixes, reduced LRM spam, some intelligent game mode design that isn't Skirmish, Skirmish with turrets, and Skirmish with Drills. Those would work beautifully well.

so the graphics mods were not enough hmm? lol

#1093 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Nope.

Though stock mech days are drawing his attention. Maybe letting him know which ones are out there would be a good idea.

#1094 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostLordred, on 13 May 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

A lot of people don't know it can look this good. I would insert grumbling but that wont get us anywhere, we just have to hope they better optimize the game, and add more options for the high end players.

Present settings in user.cfg
Spoiler

With DX11 enabled, there appears to be no way to properly disable the motion blur on items while in motion, previously the postAA and EdgeAA commands would disable this, PGI has either decided to lock those commands or it is a bug introduced with the re-implementation of DX11.

And the only way I can get rid of motion blur on items that are moving is to use their version of MSAA (very inefficient) or TXAA (fairly inefficient) I still get better looking images using AA forced on a driver level, however unless I am using MSAA or TXAA via the game client, I get motion blur.

I would consider looking into forcing FXAA through the client, but altering game files is a major nono so I am stuck playing with the user.cfg, finding what setting work, and which don't and playing with my display driver.

It's a bug and I apologize for its longevity it is on the strike list currently we're working through some further enhancements to performance (which should help more users reach higher settings; we agree we want more users to experience the game like these screen shots show off) and then those bugs will be next on deck.

Appreciate the patience (and the screenshots) in the meantime.

#1095 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 26 May 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's a bug and I apologize for its longevity it is on the strike list currently we're working through some further enhancements to performance (which should help more users reach higher settings; we agree we want more users to experience the game like these screen shots show off) and then those bugs will be next on deck.

Thank you for the update. Honestly until I read this post, I thought that this "bug" will not be touched for another year or so.

#1096 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Also glad to hear that it is being addressed.
You can 'kinda' hear the frustration about trying to remove the motion blur in the Banshee video which was taken during the Frozen City run a page or three back. If it was more like the original motion blur it'd look really cool (see "Kon DirectX 11" Jenner vids on youtube from 2012), but all the fake / bugged motion blur it does is produce a 'ghost' image instead of actual motion blur (which it occasionally applies somehow even on stationary images).

Spoiler

Fixing the motion blur issue so that we don't have to use the game's anti-aliasing (or making the game's anti-aliasing much more efficient because I gotta say there's times when having it off looks better than having it on because of how bad it has been aliasing for me; evidently the film grain was to help hide it?) would go a long way to helping keep this thread (and thus the screenshots) alive. Glad to hear it's coming.

Just hope it's coming soon and not soon™. :D
-------
An LoD issue.
At the highest settings (very high on every advanced setting, MSAA, DX11), I'm having trouble with medium to low LoD on terrain objects at 700 meters and up. Earlier today at 769 meters I saw a generic terrain piece with an LoD of such low quality that things like it are usually only visible in Skyrim at over 1,000 meters in the distance while standing high on a mountain. It looks bad on 1280x720, but I can only fathom how it looks at super high resolutions. Thankfully the mechs are the focus of the screenshots here, but 'terrain' shots are difficult because of this.

It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, there were times when I'd see huge level of detail changes on Frozen City, Crimson Strait, etc. at 100 to 150 to 300 meters. When an LoD change is so different in both texture and shape, shifting at such close range it's impossible not to notice. I can understand at much lower settings, but I mean I'm maxed out. I know it's 1,000 true meters (or supposed to be) but even BF4 on medium can show me 500 meters before the LoD cuts out (and I play it on high for recording, ultra for fun).

Edited by Koniving, 26 May 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#1097 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 26 May 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

Thanks for the info Matthew, it is good to hear that it is a bug.

Three images this evening.

Spoiler

Edited by Lordred, 27 May 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#1098 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

On a second note, if you are still floating around Matthew, do you know if they plan to revisit the texture packs on older mechs? Some of the older mechs could use some real love, while the mechs themselves may have baked in textures @ 2k res, the paint job then applied over them are down in the 1k resolution range.

The best looking mechs in the game are using 2k resolution RGB.DDS files, any idea if making all mechs use 2k RGBs is being considered?

Mechs such as the Catapult have a 1k res RGB.DDS, and that mech already had the art overpass.

I know I would love to see all the mechs using the 2k versions.

Posted Image

Edited by Lordred, 27 May 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#1099 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Koniving was requesting high res cockpit stuff.

Awesome Cockpit.
Spoiler

Griffen Cockpit
Spoiler

Edited by Lordred, 27 May 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#1100 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostLordred, on 27 May 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

On a second note, if you are still floating around Matthew, do you know if they plan to revisit the texture packs on older mechs? Some of the older mechs could use some real love, while the mechs themselves may have baked in textures @ 2k res, the paint job then applied over them are down in the 1k resolution range. The best looking mechs in the game are using 2k resolution RGB.DDS files, any idea if making all mechs use 2k RGBs is being considered? Mechs such as the Catapult have a 1k res RGB.DDS, and that mech already had the art overpass. I know I would love to see all the mechs using the 2k versions.

We actually scaled back a bit which is why you see the shift to 1k reason being we were releasing Mechs/Skins quite aggressively and were concerned about ballooning the install footprint I think we're currently sitting around the 4GB mark for a full install which we're still ok with but with many more Mechs/Skins to come (Clans) we need to be mindful of the install size.

I'm hoping to get some more time to investigate newer third party texture compression tools that are around that could allow us to potentially either halve the install footprint or use larger textures for the same cost e.g. 2k for all Mechs while retaining a similar install size. The tradeoff here is we need to evaluate texture compression times (internal build time costs) and decompression times (runtime client costs i.e. potentially slower level loads) to see if it makes sense.

I agree that I would like to see us use the higher quality textures our artists author at higher resolution so getting those in your hands is great if we can do it but so long as it doesn't come at the cost of a bloated installer or long load times etc.

Another potential solution we continue to toy with (again nothing concrete) is the idea of having a high res texture pack available that is an optional download (potentially selectable in the patcher) so it can be avoided for users who don't think they have a GPU that can absorb the extra bandwidth or don't want the extra install size.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users