My shot at the Madcat

21 replies to this topic

#1 Abrahms

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Looking at the new MWO artwork inspired me to give a mech a shot... but I quickly discovered that my history of drawing organic things and lack of training didn't translate to mecha very well. Regardless, instead of simply trashing it, I figured that it could find some appreciation here and perhaps be resumed one day. Clicky for full size.

Posted Image

Edited by Abrahms, 03 June 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#2 Pawn Couch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 135 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

better than i could do

#3 Wolf Hreda

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 196 posts
  • LocationHesperia, CA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Nicely done. Better than I could do, as well. And just a small friendly jab, that Timber Wolf seems to be armed with some sort of Clan LRM-25s. Damn you, Clantech.

Edited by Wolf Hreda, 03 June 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#4 KC Spaz

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Kansas

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

I like it, at least, the direction you seem to be going. I really like the shoulder, arm and weapon pod. Much more robust than say, the T-wolf cover art from mech2. Looks more powerful, like it can actually take some damage. very nice ;)

#5 Abrahms

• 1,478 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostKC Spaz, on 03 June 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

I like it, at least, the direction you seem to be going. I really like the shoulder, arm and weapon pod. Much more robust than say, the T-wolf cover art from mech2. Looks more powerful, like it can actually take some damage. very nice ;)

Well, it looks great in my head and yes, I was trying to go for a more robust feel, but I get frustrated with the square edges and mechanical angles.

The MWO artist makes it look so easy... but then again he probably has thousands of more hours than I do in practice. He does a really good job and making the mechs look aesthetically pleasing on top of being capable at eating gauss rounds.

#6 Ouranos

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

Well done.

#7 KC Spaz

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Kansas

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostAbrahms, on 03 June 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Well, it looks great in my head and yes, I was trying to go for a more robust feel, but I get frustrated with the square edges and mechanical angles.

The MWO artist makes it look so easy... but then again he probably has thousands of more hours than I do in practice. He does a really good job and making the mechs look aesthetically pleasing on top of being capable at eating gauss rounds.

I think you've got a good thing goin man. i would be interested in seeing it get completed. On a more critical? note, you have 25 missle ports for the lrm20, just sayin ;)
Seriously though, the whole thing looks great, i really like what you did from the shoulder down. That area has always kinda bothered me about the mech2 era clan mechs; Timber Wolf, Hellbringer and Thor. They all shared those spindley little arms.

#8 ThunderHorse

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Very good first attempt. Nice job drawing in the style of MWO's mechs. One suggestion I have is to invert one of the triangular missile pod covers so they close covering the pod completely. Like so:
|..\ \....|
|...\ \...|
|__\ \_|

EDIT: had to put period s in because the editor changed my awesome ASCII artz.

Edited by ThunderHorse, 03 June 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#9 Quincy80

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Reminds me of the Mad Cat III.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mad_Cat_III

Posted Image

#10 Abrahms

• 1,478 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostKC Spaz, on 03 June 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

On a more critical? note, you have 25 missle ports for the lrm20, just sayin ;)

I actually spent a few minutes trying to space out 4 rows of 5... apparently I did 5 rows of 5 :(

#11 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

I like it. It looks a lot more hefty and able to take damage like the others have said. Looks something like a cross between the Mad Cat Mk.II and a Mad Cat Mk.III

#12 Razor 1

• PipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 32 posts
  • LocationA Planet Near You !

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

NIce Work !

#13 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

I like it a lot. I dont think your giving yourself enough credit. By all means please finish it up for us!

#14 Abrahms

• 1,478 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostThunderHorse, on 03 June 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Very good first attempt. Nice job drawing in the style of MWO's mechs. One suggestion I have is to invert one of the triangular missile pod covers so they close covering the pod completely. Like so:
|..\ \....|
|...\ \...|
|__\ \_|

EDIT: had to put period s in because the editor changed my awesome ASCII artz.

It has three panels (I know its hard to see with just scraggly line art). I was attempting to add some practicality to the missile door - a configuration where it could have some protection yet still open very fast (doesnt have to fight gravity to pull up). It could even function like a spring loaded door with very little power to keep the side flaps from coming back.

The MWO Catapult looks great, but I always thought the doors looked very heavy and a top hinge would fight against gravity. Also the Madcat has always had a large cockpit so the panels above the windows can lower to reduce the cockpits size (again, probably hard to tell from my wobbly hand drawn line art).

#15 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Looks awesome. Great improvement on the arms, but I still wish someone could cook something up that reduced the cockpit size down to something that did not beg for a headshot.

#16 Abrahms

• 1,478 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostAlaric Wolf Kerensky, on 03 June 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

Looks awesome. Great improvement on the arms, but I still wish someone could cook something up that reduced the cockpit size down to something that did not beg for a headshot.

There are retractable armor panels above the top window so its just the nose that is susceptible. I would like to shrink it more but I was trying to stay within the style of the MWO art (see catapult cockpit size) and canon.

#17 William Chase Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

It looks great.

#18 Philmor Bowls

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Very well worked,nice job.Post when finished,id like to see it. Thx!

PH‡£MÔR BÔW£§™

#19 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Cockpit reminds me of a Rogue-Trader era Terminator helmet.

Very nice overall. :)

Edited by BigJim, 16 July 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#20 Khan Brandon Ward

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationThe Exodus Road

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

That's pretty good, keep at it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users