Clan honor

32 replies to this topic

#1 ammo566

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

A lot of people are talking about when clan tech is added clan players should have to follow honor rules. Well first off if your going to talk about clan honor you should know that most clans thought the inner sphere were barbarians and did not use honor against inner sphere opponents. So I will be using honor against clan opponent, with that said it would be a cool feature but to what extent. the honor did die off eventually die off in some clans. Last if the timeline starts in 3049 and goes day by day( correct me I'm wrong) we don't have to worry about clans for a few months any ways.

#2 chainedbeast

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I agree. Will it be some kind of status or something like that?

#3 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

Ammo, I don't know what novels or sources you've read, but the "honor" did not "die off" from the Clans, it's just that their honor values were not really true values to begin with. Zellbriggen, for example, says you do one-on-one combat unless you're fired on by a second combatant, and then all bets are off. Inner Sphere honor does not include that rule, normally, it's more an unspoken issue than a hard-fast rule. All of Clan "honor" is like that, it is not honor at all. As well, there is not a soul on these forums that would actually play in accordance with the Clan honor rules, even if something were put in place to limit their ability to make war when they don't follow the rules, and the people on here, thus, would not be worthy of playing the Clans.

I agree wholeheartedly with something said in another topic, the only people who like to play Clans are, typically, munchkins and power gamers who like shiny things they would actually have to put effort into in order to actually lose.

For my part, I hope and pray the Clans are nothing more than PvE, bots, especially with the time-line of the Clans and the VERY limited contact everyone except the Free Rasalhague Republic, the Lyran side of the Federated Commonwealth, the Draconis Combine, and only one Canon mercenary unit I know of -Gravewalkers- will have to face. To the best of my knowledge, unless our hosts plan to alter this limited contact and allow Merc Corps to fight against them, even ComStar won't see anything of the Clans until March, 2015. A lot of people seem to forget the Clans faced very little actual opposition between the beginning of their invasion in late August early September 3049 until the close of Tukkayyid in 3052; reading the Blood of Kerensky trilogy would not be a bad idea, so this can be understood.

Now, if the Clans are facing off against the Clans, the non-invading Clans, at least, then have at it. The invading Clans will do their best with the Inner Sphere, and the elements I mentioned above, except for the Gravewalkers, will see quite a lot of IS/Clan action. However, the rest of the Inner Sphere will go on much as it has, IS vs IS, only with the updated tech.

#4 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 03 June 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

supposed "negativity" (read: truth)

<sarcasm> oh come now you're being too 'negative' :D

#5 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Why does it feel like allot of people who want to play a clanner are saying that "The Clans never used Zellbringing (or clan fighting system) against the IS barbarians".

I found this about the Clan Honor System on the web. I feel it is how the Clans would treat the IS:

Zellbrigen (Dueling)

Under the rules for ritual dueling, or zellbrigen, Clan players must declare a target for each of their dueling 'Mechs. A typical declaration might sound something like, "I am MechWarrior Seth of Clan Steel Viper. I pilot the sole Summoner in Alpha Star. I hereby invoke the ritual of zellbrigen and challenge the pilot of the Orion adorned with the unit designation eleven to a duel of warriors. In this solemn matter, let no one interfere!"

During a duel, no other Clan warrior may attack either of the dueling 'Mechs. If a third Inner Sphere unit interferes with a duel, the dueling Clan warrior may attack the interfering unit, provided that another Clan 'Mech has not already challenged the interloper to a duel. A duel ends when one combatant is destroyed, disabled or retreats from the battlefield.

At Honor Level 1, the Clan warrior upholds all the rules of dueling regardless of his opponent's actions.

At Honor Level 2, the Clan warrior follows the rules of dueling until the Inner Sphere side takes an action that violates the Clan honor code (a third party interfering, a unit involved in one duel firing on a 'Mech involved in another duel, and so on). If this happens, the duel immediately degenerates into a free-for-all.

At Honor Level 3, any infringement of Clan honor in the dueling rules renders the entire ritual of zellbrigen null and void, leaving the Clan 'Mechs free to attack any enemy unit without restraint for the remainder of the ehgagement.

At Honor Level 4, dueling rules do not apply.

Physical Attacks:

Unlike the formal ritual of dueling, the Clans' dislike of physical attacks in 'Mech combat is an informal, if widespread, custom. No explanation has yet been given for this distaste, though some experts suspect that Nicholas Kerensky chose to encourage a long-range fighting style among the Clans.

At Honor Level 1, a Clan warrior never makes physical attacks in 'Mech combat.

At Honor Level 2, a Clan warrior may make a physical attack only if an enemy unit makes one first. Any Clan unit may freely engage that 'Mech in physical combat.

At Honor Level 3, a single physical attack by an Inner Sphere 'Mech allows all Clan warriors to retaliate in kind against all enemy units for the remainder of the engagement.

At Honor Level 4, the taboo against physical attacks no longer applies.

Retreat:

Clan MechWarriors despise their Inner Sphere counterparts because they consider Inner Sphere armies dishonorable warriors fighting in inferior 'Mechs. Therefore, Clan warriors consider retreating from Inner Sphere opponents a disgrace almost beyond redemption. When allowed to choose whether or not to flee a losing battle, many Clan warriors prefer to fight to the death.

At Honor Level 1, a Clan warrior never retreats.

At Honor Level 2, Clan warriors may retreat from enemy 'Mechs that are using advanced technology, but never from 'Mechs, armor or infantry units using 3025 (Level 1) technology.

At Honor Level 3, Clan warriors may retreat from any vintage of enemy 'Mech, but will not retreat from armor or infantry units.

At Honor Level 4, Clan warriors may retreat at will.

Almost every Trueborn starts off at Level 1. Some may be Level 2. Freeborns will most likely be Level 2 and some Level 3. Dezgra or Solahma units would most like be in the 3 or 4 area. This is before the Battle of Tukayyid. Most invading Clans units slid down the scale with only the most elite units staying at Level 1.

How zellbrigen is interpreted depends not only on the individual, but their parent Clan as a whole. At one end of the spectrum, the rules are strictly followed, the only exception being when fighting bandits, pirates or the most hated of enemies. At the opposite end, zellbrigen is figuratively "thrown out the airlock" and used only against other Clan warriors, and even then only when there is an advantage over them. In between are varying levels of adherence; for example, zellbrigen is followed unless circumstances dictated otherwise, such as being outnumbered or thinking one could get away with breaking it.

Prior to the Clan Invasion, Clan Blood Spirit, Clan Coyote, Clan Ghost Bear, Clan Goliath Scorpion, Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Star Adder and Clan Steel Viper adhered strictly to the tenants of zellbrigen. Meanwhile Clan Cloud Cobra, Clan Hell's Horses, Clan Ice Hellion, Clan Nova Cat and Clan Snow Raven were more opportunistic in their interpretation. Only Clan Diamond Shark and Clan Wolf used a liberal interpretation of zellbrigen in their conflicts with the other Clans.

After their defeat at the Battle of Tukayyid, many of the Clans began to rethink their use of these honor rules, and a number of political, military and cultural changes took place. The Blood Spirits, Jade Falcons and Star Adders became more opportunistic, while the Ghost Bears became more liberal, in the use of zellbrigen. The schism within Clan Wolf resulted in its new Crusader-minded leadership to become slightly more conservative, while Clan Wolf-in-Exile maintain a flexible definition of zellbrigen.

Clan Fire Mandrill, by their fractious nature, defy any sort of labeling, with each Kindraa having their own individual understandings of zellbrigen.

This will not come into play during the random battles. I am guessing this will only come into play during pre-made battle between Guilds//Clans/Houses/Factions. Then it will be for bragging rights.

It should also be noted that most clans fought IS green and regular warriors with 3025 Tech. The more elite units with better Tech put up a good fight and may have won some battle, but, 12 (or 24) Mechs cannot hold a battlefield when their flanks are being over run.

Edited by Skylarr, 03 June 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#6 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

Skylarr, in how many novels, or even in the rulebooks with the opening stories for each book, was Zell actually adhered to. I know what the rules say, and typically I agree with the Clans being bound at their varied and distinct levels of honor, but you will not find that in this game, unless it is somehow programmed in. I could write an algorithm for that, but not program it, and the algorithm would take up a full 1-subject notebook if I did, but everyone who wants to play Clan wants to do it because the Clan tech is so much better than Inner Sphere tech, and no one wants to take the time to wrap their head around the story to figure out why the tech at I.S. level is so dismal, they just want to make it crumble into dust. Therefore, though I respect your wall-o-text on the matter, I'm afraid it must be in vain. Regardless, thank you for posting the whole thing; maybe it will open the eyes of those who actually would practice honor in the Clan way and, perhaps, PGI will have testing to determine who is eligible to play in the Clans in the first place, as a result.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 04 June 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#7 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

'Everyone who wants to play Clan wants to do so because of the Tech.'

I'm sick of reading this. It's a falsehood being repeated over and over in the hopes that if you mix it with enough truth, you won't be able to detect the reek of falsehood about it.

From the cockpit of a MAD-2R, -3R, or -5S, I'll gladly play by zellbrigen against any Inner Sphere-tech or LosTech opponent who will fight likewise. Against ClanTech or those who do not or will not abide by zellbrigen, all bets are off. Unless I'm driving my 'MAD-D06' (Mardauger? ClanTech Marauder 'simulator' built on a Mad Dog chassis), in which case, game on!

Edited by Haakon Valravn, 04 June 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#8 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

That is why I said the only place you will find Zellbringing is in pre-made fights between the organized groups. It will be for branging rights.

It will be interesting to see 12 Clanners of the same faction step onto the battlefield. Will they demand that everyone in their group follow some sort of Zellbringing just to prove how much better there way is.

Will I bee in my IS mech and at the bigging of the Battle see a text stating that Clan Wolf there and they are following Level 2 Honor Rules?

I am sure my IS Mech with advance Tech will give them a run for their money.

I would be nice to an IS faction say they fought the well known Clan faction on their terms and beat them. Showing u-tube clips to prove it.

PGI should not implament a system to make Zellbringing woork. I would rather they work of getting more Mechs into the Game. Let the communite hand and police the orginized event.

#9 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 04 June 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

I'm sick of reading this. It's a falsehood being repeated over and over in the hopes that if you mix it with enough truth, you won't be able to detect the reek of falsehood about it.

it's not a falsehood, its just something many like me have a hard time believing and many clan players should try and see it from our point of view. to make things worse, there are clan players who play only for the stat boost, and theres no way to differentiate; we have to take everyone at their word, which I don't. Until otherwise proven, I assume people are here for the stat boost, because honestly who wouldn't?

#10 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 04 June 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Until otherwise proven, I assume people are here for the stat boost, because honestly who wouldn't?

It is hard to argue against this. In every game you have Power Gamer. People who only pick the Faction/Race/Vehicle/Weapon that lets them do the most DPS. Then they sit there in general chat or on the Battlefield says how bad your build Class/Race/Build is.

#11 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostSkylarr, on 04 June 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

It is hard to argue against this. In every game you have Power Gamer. People who only pick the Faction/Race/Vehicle/Weapon that lets them do the most DPS. Then they sit there in general chat or on the Battlefield says how bad your build Class/Race/Build is.

agreed, and right now; my experience is power-gamers play clans, and with MW:O not out yet, neither side can be proven or disproven. My bias just falls on experience in this case.

#12 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

You see it now. Player already posting about why would antone pilot anything but an Assualt Mech.

I have more respect for the pilot of a Light Mech (IS or Clan) than I do for an Assualt pilot. You will see allot of Assualt come onto the battlefield and just stand still to fire their weapons. A light Mech has to learn to dance.

Edited by Skylarr, 04 June 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#13 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostSkylarr, on 04 June 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

You see it now. Player already posting about why would antone pilot anything but an Assualt Mech.

I have more respect for the pilot of a Light Mech (IS or Clan) than I do for an Assualt pilot. You will see allot of Assualt come onto the battlefield and just stand still to fire their weapons. A light Mech has to learn to dance.

well if the devs make sure that 'role warfare' is ingrained into the system, it'll come down to the weapons themselves more than the mechs carrying them. but yes, I can see it now, much like World of Tanks became 'why pilot anything but a tier 10 heavy, or IS7?'

#14 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 04 June 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

What I said was the absolute living truth, and I'll stand by it until I die or am proven wrong. If you played in MechWarrior IV: Mercenaries, and you actually played in a Clan that required you, and all your fellow's to abide by the Clan rules, or in any previous MechWarrior game with the same requirement, and you and all around you actually did it, then kudos to you. I don't want to hear whether or not you did, because there's no way of proving it.

If YOU did it of your own accord, because you like the lore, or you like the rules, or you realized the necessity of leveling the playing field, then bully for you, man, great job! I won't believe until I see it (glove - smack), but good for you, anyway.

Now, even if YOU DID play by the appropriate rules, win or lose, how do you presume you will get any of your fellows to do the same in MWO?

The fact you will not be able to satisfactorily be able to answer this question, because none of your friends are either under contract to you, nor being paid by you, to follow your orders, is answer enough to the challenge of what I said being a falsehood.

Good day.

#15 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

@Kay Wolf

People love the Clans and have so before any video game. I don't know what's so hard to believe about that.

Me myself, I probably won't worry about Zellbrigen and Rules of Engagement. This is still a video game, and the purpose is to win. Everyone's tears of rage will be delicious when I shoot them in the back as they are shot from both flanks by my Clansmen.

Don't worry yourselves with such trivalties. There will be hundreds of thousands of players out there with different playstyles. We'll be going by the best strategies, the most fun way to play an online FPS.

Edited by cw roy, 04 June 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#16 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

View Postcw roy, on 04 June 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

@Kay Wolf

People love the Clans and have so before any video game. I don't know what's so hard to believe about that.

Me myself, I probably won't worry about Zellbrigen and Rules of Engagement. This is still a video game, and the purpose is to win. Everyone's tears of rage will be delicious when I shoot them in the back as they are shot from both flanks by my Clansmen.

Don't worry yourselves with such trivalties. There will be hundreds of thousands of players out there with different playstyles. We'll be going by the best strategies, the most fun way to play an online FPS.

It is refreshing to see players who say they love the clans and look for reasons not play like a clanner. Instead of talk about ways to try and stay to clan honor

#17 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Get off of your high horse, kiddie. It's not for you to judge others' opinions and playstyles. Why would I want to dictate how my members play when there will be hundreds of thousands of people not following the Rules of Engagement? Besides, my personal preference matters not. That's why our forum members are being allowed to vote on our playstyle, and any skirmishes we play in the future, any pre-determined Rules of Engagement set with the opponents will be followed.

Looks like you're a bit preemptive in your assumptions, huh?

I should also point out that no one will be following the orders of separate Clusters and Stars out there, not if they are strangers. So you're all a part of the same Clan, but you don't follow the orders of a superior officer? That's not Zellbrigen at all.

Edited by cw roy, 04 June 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#18 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 04 June 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

it's not a falsehood, its just something many like me have a hard time believing and many clan players should try and see it from our point of view. to make things worse, there are clan players who play only for the stat boost, and theres no way to differentiate; we have to take everyone at their word, which I don't. Until otherwise proven, I assume people are here for the stat boost, because honestly who wouldn't?

By that rationale, everyone who doesn't play clans is a terrible player who just wants to hide behind the "but their tech is so much better" excuse so that their own shortcomings aren't noticed.

#19 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postcw roy, on 04 June 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

@Kay Wolf

People loved the Clans before the video games for the very same reason they love them IN the video games. The only difference was that board gamers actually tried to pay attention to the rules, because the rules were right in their face, they were a part of the game, and the player would be called on if others around the table also knew the rules, and knew the Clan player wasn't playing by them. It's all about the shiny, cw roy.

Exactly why you, and those of your ilk, should never be anything more than pirates, freebirth. "This is still a video game, and the purpose is to win...", and the purpose behind the parent of this game was to win, as well, but there were rules put in the face of everyone playing the tabletop. A word beginning with "I" comes to mind, here.

View Postcw roy, on 04 June 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

Get off of your high horse, kiddie. It's not for you to judge others' opinions and playstyles. Why would I want to dictate how my members play when there will be hundreds of thousands of people not following the Rules of Engagement?
So those folks can be taught the right way to play the game, not just anything for the win.

Besides, my personal preference matters not. That's why our forum members are being allowed to vote on our playstyle, and any skirmishes we play in the future, any pre-determined Rules of Engagement set with the opponents will be followed.
It's funny you should mention that, right after saying there are hundreds of thousands of people, each with their own play style. If your pathetic little 'Clan' decides to fight with honor, to bite the bullet, rather than just doing whatever it takes to win; what will you do then?

I should also point out that no one will be following the orders of separate Clusters and Stars out there, not if they are strangers. So you're all a part of the same Clan, but you don't follow the orders of a superior officer? That's not Zellbrigen at all.
You are clueless as to what it means, even if you took the time to read the wall-o-text posted, above, and thus you should never be allowed into the Clans. I really hope they are nothing more than PvE because, though I don't like the Clans, you would dishonor them with your presence, you are not worthy of them.

I think I'm done here.

#20 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 03 June 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

As well, there is not a soul on these forums that would actually play in accordance with the Clan honor rules

*raises hand*

When I play Clan, I play it to the hilt. In character, I would rather fight my opponent with a sharpened stick than have aspersions be cast on my honor by people suggesting I was easymoding via tech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users