Internal Heatsinks

6 replies to this topic

#1 Koujo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

While messing around with the surfy mech lab I noticed something odd. A mech with an engine with 10 internal heatsinks seems to have better cooling than one with 9 internal heatsinks + 1 external even though both have a total of 10. Is this a bug with the mech lab? I cannot load the game where I'm at to see if it is the same in game right now.

#2 Grandmaster Ramrod

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationComfortable Leather Chair

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

I believe this is because double heatsinks in the engines cool with an efficiency of 2.0 (standard heatsinks being 1.0) as opposed to double heatsinks outside the engine having only 1.4.

If i'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me ^_^

#3 smurfynet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

If you have double heatsinks, yea, 2.0 for internal and 1.4 for external

#4 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Single heatsinks always have the same benefit whether in-engine or scattered anywhere in the mech body. But double heatsinks in MWO have 2x normal capability when in-engine and just 1.4x normal when out in the body. I believe the Smurfy lab is accurate with this.

Edited by Elyam, 10 April 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yep. Apparently, having 2.0 double heat sinks would break the game or something. According to their internal testing...

Instead, when you upgrade to double heat sinks, only the engine heat sinks count as full 2.0 doubles. Any double heat sinks outside the engine are only 40% better than singles (1.4).

I don't agree with it, and we've all experienced how effective their internal testing is ... but it is what it is.

#6 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 10 April 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

Yep. Apparently, having 2.0 double heat sinks would break the game or something. According to their internal testing...

Instead, when you upgrade to double heat sinks, only the engine heat sinks count as full 2.0 doubles. Any double heat sinks outside the engine are only 40% better than singles (1.4).

I don't agree with it, and we've all experienced how effective their internal testing is ... but it is what it is.

Ya, the same internal testing shows missiles "feel right" at their current damage.

All fear the 3 second Jenner and alpha strike LURM boat.

#7 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 11 April 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Ya, the same internal testing shows missiles "feel right" at their current damage.

All fear the 3 second Jenner and alpha strike LURM boat.

Poor Atlas... First the 3 second Jenner, and next thing he knows, the 6 MG Spider will murderize him.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 11 April 2013 - 05:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users