Lrm For Arty Idea

5 replies to this topic

#1 iwasatoad

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

We have all at one point been in a battle where there is a LRM Mech sitting back and bombarding you in the open and you die quick unless you can get under the minimum range of LRM's at 180M and or if your by land mass you can block his view to make him loose lock or to get behind a building so they wont hit you even with him having lock because his team mate is right by you making him waste his ammo if he's not wise witch can be helpful in the long run. You can also use an anti missile system with a slot of ammo and knock some of those LRMs out of the sky. How ever in most cases a LRM boat has any where from 50-80 LRMs heading your way when he fires more times then not you only knock 5-20 out of the sky if you have friends by or are in a Mech that can fit dual AMS. as being a non LRM boat and LRM boat depending on what I feel for the day I find the LRM boat to be annoying in cities or in battles where the enemy is on the hill and your LRMs are more like dum dum missiles as they fly into the dirt 90% of the time and the ones that get by get taken out by AMS doing little to no damage. This is great for enemy targets as well as when I am in a non LRM boat I use this to my advantage and only 1 of my Mech builds has AMS as I don't see a need for it due to this as long as I play smart. with either sticking by ECM or just sticking by buildings or steep hill's and go with out AMS for free slot's and 1.5 or more less ton. I find I feel like I am cheating the mechanic of the game every time I use the hills or buildings to achieve this even with it being a game mechanic. So to my idea implement a system like Artemis iv or even call it Artemis v for that matter that would change the dynamic even farther but change it so that fitting AMS is worthy against a LRM boat to the point if your in a group with AMS (ie 4 AMS) you can effectively knock down every LRM and not be able to rely on buildings or semi steep mounds entirely. How do I propose this make the Artemis V make the LRM's take up twice the slots (ie LRM20 goes from 5 slots to 10) making it harder to fit as I have tested the idea with doing the math and fitting slots on most Mechs. But not only take up twice the slots make them Weigh more as well (ie LRM 20 goes from 10 ton to 22 and LRM 15 from 7 to 16) the idea behind this will make since with what changes to LRM flight. So to make that huge change worth it there better be some real good pay off right since after all the idea is to be used as a artillery device with a counter to it as well. missile flight in stead of flying out and slowly arching down to your target would instead fly like advanced LRMs do now in real life. with this fit they would fly out and up to a set distance (ie 75m up and on approach to target they do not fall until right above target as if they were to cut the engine and become a guided bomb. Now all the LRM haters will say it would be to over powered but your wrong and I can tell you why. Due to the slot increase and weight increase for example you would only be able to fit 2 LRM 20's to a stalker so all in all 40 LRM's flying your way in stead of hiding behind the building or s steep mound now you would either half to be by or have ECM or an AMS fit. But now noting changes right you can still only knock down 5-20 LRMs out of the sky..... Wrong because of this flight path if you were to doing a 3D animation or the raw hard numbers you will see now the LRM's are in your 200M zone for a longer period of time as they are not flying right at you there flying to right above then falling like a bomb. and since even a stalker could only fit for 40 LRM's per strike with 2 guy's fit with one AMS or a Mech with dual AMS could knock down approx. from 25-35 making the use of a AMS worth fitting to counter LRMs. and make the STX-5S and AS7-K great Counter as they both can fit dual AMS. Not only that this makes a light or fast med an extreme problem for a big LRM boat as the fast guy comes you start your lock he's down to 200m you fire and due to the charter of flight the LRM don't hit as he got below 170m to quick since now the LRM's have a little longer flight path. Now onto the Streak SRM change same principle just reduced to scale in stead of climbing up to the building cover they flight up to 20m above target and dive bomb the same way also increasing flight time to target and making AMS worth it but not making the Streak any more powerful just making more direct fire from top to increase torso damage to Left Right and Center. and to the last one the normal SRM 2-4-6 changes. make them have a tighter group in stead of acting like a sawed off shot gun make then act like a shot gun with a choke so they don't spread out as much until farther out. advantage with accurate aim you can cause more damage draw back if your off a bit a lot of your SRM's wont hit the target as well as they should be slowed down a bit in flight but at the same time in crease how quick they launch as now there is a delay not big but a delay loose delay if possible and slow flight making then also having a longer flight time in the AMS zone but making them more deadly for those with out AMS.................... well that about does it for my idea and again the reason I see this need is because I can counter LRM with buildings or steep hills and never need AMS on any map very rarely is it a LRM mech that does any real hurt to me and I feel that I should only have that with a AMS the change would be big but allowing less ammo to be carried due to weight limit and less LRMs in the air not only increasing the ability of AMS but improving game play by eliminating a spam of LRM's to be loaded if some one fit this as well as making a solo guy half to play smart and not just pop out do his 16+dps or 60+alpha hide again and have no real issue with a light coming to spot him as he can out dps or just alpha him dead now the LRM tied to the light can hit you if your not prepared with AMS and or ECM..... Well I will leave it at that I look forward to seeing peoples responses to the idea weather dis like or like... what I don't want to see is people posting and just saying bad idea I want to know why you think it would be a bad idea or why it would be a good idea and don't play reference to just oh I don't want to fit AMS lol again this would be a upgrade not stock LRMs and could be a 3rd option called Artemis V and cost I think could be around 1.5mill - 2.5 mill

#2 iwasatoad

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Sorry for long paragraph could not put spacing by hitting enter or down arrow or any way that I know of I assume most will criticize me for that or my spelling and not even stay on topic

#3 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think they are adding a weapon that kinda works like that.

#4 Markis Steiner

• PipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAvon, Illinois

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Are you saying that you want an upgrade option that doubles LRM slot size and weight, but change the missile flight path to avoid most cover?

An increase in weight and size would limit this LRM based systems to Heavy and Assault class mechs. Those systems would also be so large that mechs would not be able to field them due to lack of free space unless they took just LRM units and no other weapons/upgrades.
If you are looking for a missile based artillery system the Arrow IV Artillery might be what you are looking for. :)

As for the change in flight path; I suggested a module in the past that would change the arc of missile flight. The higher arc would increase flight time but also bring the missile in at a steeper angle allowing it a better chance to bypass medium cover. This module idea mixed with Target Decay would make for some nasty missile shenanigans. Of course I would want the module to have a toggle switch in case I did not want it active at all times.

#5 iwasatoad

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostMarkis Steiner, on 11 April 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

Are you saying that you want an upgrade option that doubles LRM slot size and weight, but change the missile flight path to avoid most cover?

An increase in weight and size would limit this LRM based systems to Heavy and Assault class mechs. Those systems would also be so large that mechs would not be able to field them due to lack of free space unless they took just LRM units and no other weapons/upgrades.
If you are looking for a missile based artillery system the Arrow IV Artillery might be what you are looking for. :)

As for the change in flight path; I suggested a module in the past that would change the arc of missile flight. The higher arc would increase flight time but also bring the missile in at a steeper angle allowing it a better chance to bypass medium cover. This module idea mixed with Target Decay would make for some nasty missile shenanigans. Of course I would want the module to have a toggle switch in case I did not want it active at all times.

I cover each bit as I go sorry again for no spacing from some dang reason I cant hit enter to end the line. You are right the increase in weight and size would limit this LRM based system to only field LRM and no other weapon how ever it could still be fit to every mech but size for size (ie light with dual LRM5's med's with dual LRM 10's heavy Dual LRM 15 assault Dual LRM 20). as for the Arrow IV artillery I just now red up on that did not find to much on it but sounds about right so long as it's still a targeted weapon and has that arch to clear those annoying mechanics that allow me to never half to fit a AMS. As for the change if flight path I was referring it to be able to clear vertical buildings buy limiting how much you can fit and so that AMS becomes a point to be worth fitting. I don't mind that I cant clear buildings now the med hill thing is just wrong but I look at it from my LRM fit but more closely to my non LRM fit I run as I don't ever need AMS as I said I either stick my ECM or a little hill or building and not one LRM will ever hit. This is what I think is wrong with how it works now but in all fair ness if I could fit the same 4 LRM 20's on my LRM fit and have this vertical drop flight path I would pawn every thing that was not ECM as you would half to have all 8 of your team fit with AMS and I would still likely hit you with 20-40 missiles that also would be a little over powered as more times than not you would not get 8 AMS in a 50m radius so I guess even a different weapon that you were only allowed to fit 2 for say regardless of missile slots so that it would not be over powered would not be bad but at the same time it would half to not make LRMs point less to fit because well then let's face it no one would use LRMs if this other weapon device was there. I suppose you could make it a special kind of artmies ammo that would for example make a LRM 20 only fire 10 from a 20 as they would be bigger charges with the same damage ability of 20 normal LRM's so this way AMS would still have the ability to knock down more and with the new flight could make the hill and building hiding not the best idea unless you have AMS or ECM till that light comes around and get's in that sweet spot. but then as well you would not see any one using normal artmies ammo for the LRM mech fit could I guess make that ammo take up 2 slots so you don't get to carry as much ammo so the difference would be ya you can hit over a building but you only have 300 rounds with strict LRM fit or something

#6 iwasatoad

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

I guess I just don't want this game to be like the rest where there are a lot of weapons that one could fit that have no real reason to be fit. Right now AMS is the one that has no real point. Most people (timed players that know how LRMs work) only fit AMS if they have the free slot and cant put any more heat sinks or any thing better in the slot. and I would like to see something done that makes AMS something that if player A has strictly this weapon on you will either wish you could get under the range so they don't do any damage or pray for a AMS friendly to come running, so that AMS is worthy of fitting again. ECM on the other hand I don't even want to start on as that's not the topic of what I am getting at

Edited by iwasatoad, 11 April 2013 - 06:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users