There Can Only Be One!

12 replies to this topic

#1 Heinous Atrocity

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Herein lies the awesomeness of the Highlander!

As for me, ive tried a few different builds, but have settled on this one. 3 large lasers, and gauss rifle with 4 tons of ammo. XL 325 and endo steel. and all 5 jumpjets. 15 double heat sinks as well. Modules, advanced sensor and cool 9by 9. Ive been able to do a consist amount of damage with this build, and dont over heat that often, but on the warmer maps, thats what the coolant flush is for. As for the other builds I tried SRMS, ER large lasers, and ER ppcs. they tend to over heat alot.

Now for strategies!

while poptarting is fine, I try to use the jump ability for other stuff. helps with movement, getting up high and raining death. or jump over that building to land in front of someone who really needs a smacking! However, lighter fast mechs tend to be able to run circles around the Highlander. even 1 can take you down. so its good to have nearby support to chase them off, so you can blow them away as they flee. Hopping from roof top to roof top on river city is sooo much fun.

But lets hear from those of you who have discovered the joys of the only one Highlander!

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

3x LL, 2x AC/5 (4t), XL325, 5x JJ

Begin with long-range fire, mainly the AC/5s so as to keep cool, LL saved for clean shots.
When brawling use terrain elevation to avoid fire from torso mounted weapons while using arm-mounts.

My favorite tactic so far is to focus entirely on one mech, disarm or kill it, and then do a quick jump-turn to face the inevitable mech trying to shoot me in the back.
Facing arm forward to an enemy, and only putting CT to them while in the air from jets is a good way to avoid having their torso mounts hit your CT.

#3 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

View PostHeinous Atrocity, on 11 April 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Herein lies the awesomeness of the Highlander!

As for me, ive tried a few different builds, but have settled on this one. 3 large lasers, and gauss rifle with 4 tons of ammo. XL 325 and endo steel. and all 5 jumpjets. 15 double heat sinks as well. Modules, advanced sensor and cool 9by 9. Ive been able to do a consist amount of damage with this build, and dont over heat that often, but on the warmer maps, thats what the coolant flush is for. As for the other builds I tried SRMS, ER large lasers, and ER ppcs. they tend to over heat alot.

Now for strategies!

while poptarting is fine, I try to use the jump ability for other stuff. helps with movement, getting up high and raining death. or jump over that building to land in front of someone who really needs a smacking! However, lighter fast mechs tend to be able to run circles around the Highlander. even 1 can take you down. so its good to have nearby support to chase them off, so you can blow them away as they flee. Hopping from roof top to roof top on river city is sooo much fun.

But lets hear from those of you who have discovered the joys of the only one Highlander!

How can you use modules without any other highlanders to master with?

#4 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 11 April 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

excuse me ??? since when do you Need to master a chassie to use modules ?

#5 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

All mechs have a base number of module slots.
Mastering a mech provides 1 additional module slot past the base amount.

#6 Faithsfall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 363 posts
  • LocationUK

each mech has a set amount of modules you can use as soon as you purchase a mech, when you get to master then you get an extra module to use. Highlander comes with 2 then at master you get 3

#7 Hellboy561

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, United Kingdom

Because every mech has module slots. The Mastery is to gain an extra one on that variant. I'm not sure how many the Heavy Metal has as standard.

haha, so many replies to that post in such a little time!

Edited by Hellboy561, 11 April 2013 - 02:27 AM.

#8 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

Im playing without the JJ and an XL300 but put in 2 SRM6's with artemis aswell, does some evil damage and can focus down anything, especially when they think they can get in close and brawl with it.

Love it.

On a side note, love the 3 LL in one hand, a Jenner came through the gap in the ship the other day and lost an arm and leg almost instantly when me and my 3 friends in highlanders all turned our LL's on it. So fun.

#9 The Voidwolf

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

I am logging in just to post this and it's my first time I have ever felt compelled to post on here, the quote is " there can be only one" Thank you, that is all.

Edited by chrisb376, 17 April 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#10 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

OP, I believe it's " There can be only one. "

#11 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

HEAVY METAL

3x LL, 2x SRM4 Gauss, 3 JJ.

Uses every crit. SRM's are there as backup, NOT A MAIN WEAPON, hence only 1T of ammo, but thats all you need. The main guns are the LLs and Gauss, can hit at any range, and deal damage up close when needed. Literally is the same build as the OP's but better refined.

You only need 3 JJ tops on any of the highlanders, anymore and its a waste of tonnage since those things are bloody heavy.

#12 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 17 April 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

OP, I believe it's " There can be only one. "

I say that every time I see someone post "There can only be one" in game.

#13 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

I have the Heavy Metal, 733C, and 733P. I've enjoyed them all immensely. Very solid mechs.

For my Heavy Metal I run 3 LL 1 Gauss. It's a simple effective build.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c8dcc4bb8f7545b

My 733C makes for a fun brawler. It's durable and vicious up close. 1 AC20 2 ML 3 SRM4
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7ecb39bfc573d89

Finally my 733P makes for a healthy stand off fighter that works well in tandem with snipers or close range fighters. 4 LL 3 SRM4
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a01440ba514c8be

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users