If It Is Implied That A Segment Of Our Community Should 'burn', Would You Expect Harsh Emails In Return?

55 replies to this topic

#21 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostKhanublikhan, on 11 April 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

It is human nature to be passionate about something. It is human nature to try and communicate that passion. There is no excuse for threats.

Disproportionate use of language (a lack of reading comprehension and debating skills)... ...well, welcome to the modern age.

Well said.

Edited by John Norad, 11 April 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#22 HugoStiglitz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 11 April 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Imagine for a moment that you did believe that such emails were sent. Imagine that you also believed that PGI did force MWLL to close.

Yes, if you don't believe that I am asking you the reader for a suspension of disbelief so you can empathize with a character in the story, who does believe those things. I ask you to imagine the type of emotions you might feel if you held such beliefs and passions and were a member of a gaming community that was no more. What's more that those taking your gaming community away from you have the cheek to say 'let it burn', 'we must destroy in order to create'.

Again sorry if you think this is faux intellectualism.

Maybe MWLL decided that they couldn't compete with someone who could actually monetize the game. Maybe Russ decided to hire some of the people working on MWLL. Maybe MWLL felt that they had a good run and didn't want to fracture the already small fan base of MechWarrior into choosing between 2 games. Maybe you can still find a server for MWLL and your argument of 'PGI took away our gaming community' is just false, maybe the community just lost interest.

Seriously both developers are fans of the franchise. Why else would MWLL exist with little to no way to make money off of it? Why else would PGI go out of their way to get the license for MechWarrior, a franchise that, for all intents and purposes, was dead and stuck in licensing hell?

#23 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostJohn Norad, on 11 April 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

And you only need to understand people if you want to help or change them. Personally, I'm a bit fed up with stupid or uneducated people,

And who in this thread do you view as stupid and uneducated? Or is that just something you think of the people sending threatening emails?

"We do NOT negotiate with terrorists!"

View PostHugoStiglitz, on 11 April 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

Maybe MWLL decided that they couldn't compete with someone who could actually monetize the game. Maybe Russ decided to hire some of the people working on MWLL. Maybe MWLL felt that they had a good run and didn't want to fracture the already small fan base of MechWarrior into choosing between 2 games. Maybe you can still find a server for MWLL and your argument of 'PGI took away our gaming community' is just false, maybe the community just lost interest.

I was 'there' when the news first went public on the MWLL boards, the IRC channels and TS servers. I have spoken to some of those that worked on MWLL. I can tell you what they told me if you like (I won't name specific people)?

#24 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

No source yet? All we're discussing at the moment are the words "let it burn." Where is the source?

#25 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

1 - What did he say exactly?
2 - What is considered threatening?

In this 'PC jargon' world we live in where a simple word sends people into shivering terrified wrecks, it's difficult to separate true threats from things that 'just make me feel threatened'. I work in corporate America, and if someone sets a coffee mug down on a table too loudly, other folks 'feel threatened'.

If they are getting emails like "Make me a Rifleman or you and your family will die to my keen edged knife blade, Soandso of 123 Winderly Ct, Alberta Canada in the Beige house with white picket fence who drives the blue Camry" then, yeah, there's cause to be concerned and call the police... err.. Mounties. That sort of behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

Edited by Scromboid, 11 April 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#26 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostMoromillas, on 11 April 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

No source yet? All we're discussing at the moment are the words "let it burn." Where is the source?

Which bit do you want me to clarify. I am happy to answer questions but you need to be specific! EDIT: Bryan's twitter feed was the source (BTW people presented this twitter feed in another thread. The feed was also 'chopped' and the conversational order changed when people displayed it. This caused much confusion on the day).

View PostScromboid, on 11 April 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

1 - What did he say exactly?
2 - What is considered threatening?

In this 'PC jargon' world we live in where a simple word sends people into shivering terrified wrecks, it's difficult to separate true threats from things that 'just make me feel threatened'. I work in corporate America, and if someone sets a coffee mug down on a table too loudly, other folks 'feel threatened'.

If they are getting emails like "Make me a Rifleman or you and your family will die to my keen edged knife blade, Soandso of 123 Winderly Ct, Alberta Canada in the Beige house with white picket fence who drives the blue Camry" then, yeah, there's cause to be concerned and call the police... err.. Mounties. That sort of behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

Yeah, the nature of the threats could be totally different from what I have implied!

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 11 April 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#27 Eternal Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

Eh? Sorry, not sure i'm getting your post 100%

Are you saying devs from PGI are trying to shutdown MW:LL, and then got threatening emails?

Sources please.

#28 Moku

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

They need one pr guy with big balls....wah wah. Everyone calmed down since CW wasn't going under a paywall. Just maybe the mercs that want private matches.

#29 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostEternal Hunter, on 11 April 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Eh? Sorry, not sure i'm getting your post 100%

Are you saying devs from PGI are trying to shutdown MW:LL, and then got threatening emails?

Sources please.

Which part you want me to tell you about? As I said I can tell you what developers working (or who worked) on MWLL have told me but I won't name them as I don't want to get them into trouble.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 11 April 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#30 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 11 April 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Which bit do you want me to clarify. I am happy to answer questions but you need to be specific! EDIT: Bryan's twitter feed was the source (BTW people presented this twitter feed in another thread. The feed was also 'chopped' and the conversational order changed when people displayed it).

So, what you're saying is there's no source, meaning this is all hearsay, meaning I am to assume it's all ********.

#31 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostMoromillas, on 11 April 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

So, what you're saying is there's no source, meaning this is all hearsay, meaning I am to assume it's all ********.

Look, I don't know how the hell you are missing this but I just told you the source, Bryan's twitter page. Go have a look yourself and if you don't see the phrase I am referring to I will go find a copy from somewhere. But even then because it is a copy I have given you, it will never be enough for you.

EDIT: BTW, Bryan may well say he is referring to something else by those phrases and that is fine. I can accept his word here. As I have gone to pains to stress, those words can be interpreted differently by people, particularly if english is not a 'first' language.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 11 April 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#32 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 11 April 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Look, I don't know how the hell you are missing this but I just told you the source, Bryan's twitter page. Go have a look yourself and if you don't see the phrase I am referring to I will go find a copy from somewhere. But even then because it is a copy I have given you, it will never be enough for you.

EDIT: BTW, Bryan may well say he is referring to something else by those phrases and that is fine. I can accept his word here. As I have gone to pains to stress, those words can be interpreted differently by people, particularly if english is not a 'first' language.

Don't you think I would have already done that. All the searches just lead to this thread.

Bryan also said he loves the **** on twitter. True story, just google it.

#33 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

View PostMoku, on 11 April 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

They need one pr guy with big balls....wah wah. Everyone calmed down since CW wasn't going under a paywall. Just maybe the mercs that want private matches.

Give me a job right? Of course I am kidding, I would be terrible.

#34 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostNaja, on 11 April 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but I read that through in it's entirety twice and I still didn't understand the point you were making. Are you saying that under certain circumstances it's acceptable to send threatening emails?

Not trying to poke fun, but could you give a definitive statement on what it is you're saying here?

I think what he's getting at is that they were asking for it in a way, and that certain comments made by certain people of this gaming community (or perhaps the MW:LL community) might have helped to push the envelope further.

I guess what he's getting at is that bryan ought to take a look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

Not saying that I approve of threats, but when people are asking for it I have no sympathy for them when the **** hits the fan.

#35 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

Threatening emails. Thats 110% crossing the line. Finally theres something most of us can agree on, i hope.

#36 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

This is the dumbest thread on the forums (k-town included).

#37 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

View PostMoromillas, on 11 April 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Don't you think I would have already done that. All the searches just lead to this thread.

Bryan also said he loves the **** on twitter. True story, just google it.

https://twitter.com/bryanekman

Go to the 30 March entry. I highlighted the bit I thought the most inflammatory or likely to be taken the wrong way.
Posted Image Bryan Ekman@bryanekman 30 Mar
@zmeul80 every city needs a good fire. Allows for rebirth. :ph34r:

9:44 AM - 30 Mar 13 · Details

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 11 April 2013 - 04:14 AM.

#38 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Threats of Violence... never ok. Use of "Emotive language" means you get threats... WTFrumpkin??

Also quote, clearly a joke, some people seriously need to cut down on the coke and steroids.

Edited by Jetfire, 11 April 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#39 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

while alot of times i really do feel there is a portion of people in control of this project who dont care for anyone not spending gobs of cash constantly, There are those who could care less and are just trying to make a game they are proud of.

In the end its a game, if they take it in a direction i dont like ill be upset only because it would be another failed mechwarrior game (which honestly ive enjoyed every mechwarrior game ive ever played so it would be a first) If i can still enjoy the game ill keep playing just will put zero more cash into it. If i dont enjoy it then i stop.

no malice or hate from me i would have gotten alot of play time out of this game so good enough for me i guess.

oh i forgot add it really does seem that Bryan Ekman has a huge ego and seems to think alot of people are beneath him. Most of his twitter comments are barely veiled insults about peoples rage and irritation when the only reason they are raging and annoyed is because he never gives clear answers.

Edited by Ph30nix, 11 April 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#40 DerSpecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 11 April 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

It is very rare that people will get so het up, to the extent that they send threatening emails just by themselves. Often these people have strong attachments to friends and the gaming communities they are a part of. A lot of human behaviour can be seen as driven by the need to bond and maintain bonds.

Wrong. It is common that as a mod or dev you receive threats and insults via PM daily. Ask any f2p mmo mod or dev. Best example that comes to mind is overlords from WoT who closed his blog after users threatened his and his family life because of... balancing patches.. now aint dat sick?

Edited by DerSpecht, 11 April 2013 - 04:18 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users