The Canon names and Regiments

12 replies to this topic

#1 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Curious question. I'm fortunate in that my unit, 9th Sword of the Dragon, is not a canon name and was created by Kesmai as a filler unit, so no competition for our name. But I'm wondering about all the people who will want to claim Wolf's Dragoons, or Kell Hounds, Grey Death Legion etc. Is this going to be a first come first server basis? Or are we going to end up seeing a <WD>, a <WolfD>, and other such ridiculousness? :)

#2 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Perhaps the developers should beat everyone to the punch and create the prolific and canonical mercenary units for people to join beforehand. You know, lock them in and make them official, that way you don't get 20 different versions of Wolf's Dragoons or whatever.

It'd be easier to police that way, at least.

#3 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

They could just ban the canon units from being names. Thats how most MMOs handle it.

#4 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

They'll probably make it so you can't take the names of the actual units in the game, to avoid people jumping the gun and getting the Wolf's Dragoons or etc.

Now, people might be able to join them, but they won't be made by players.

#5 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

I like you Jack, because you have a quote from Robert Jordan <3 (though you forgot the Jr. part at the end). I hope I don't have to blow you up now :)

#6 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

That's the way it should be, canon units shouldn't be left for fans to make multiple versions of them. Maybe first come, first serve though.

#7 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

View Postpaladin brewer, on 01 November 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

I like you Jack, because you have a quote from Robert Jordan <3 (though you forgot the Jr. part at the end). I hope I don't have to blow you up now :)

I did at that, fixed!

#8 Target Rich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Lol...well Federated Suns is already out there and active...and we have a core group that has been playing together since MW3 days....So while that is officially "taken" I wonder if it is taken for this new matching system? BTW...FS is active and recruiting...we have between 6 to 8 players on any given drop that we are playing...and sure can't wait until that matching system handles odd numbers of players in a single drop again...

and 16 players on a side ...Whole Lotta Love here...

#9 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

name everything!

#10 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

We're hoping that PGI creates a WD faction in some capacity and in some form that the affiliated WD units can join. If not, we'll just be Swiftslayers in game and cooperate with the other units that claim WD affiliation, in effect recognizing a WD affilation behind-the-scenes. I sincerely hope though that PGI offers some mechanic for membership in the more iconic units. It surely wouldn't be too hard to make them operate similarly to the houses, but have them fight for one house or another based on current contract (i.e. have them operate somewhere in between a house and an unaffiliated merc unit).

Basically, we won't claim to BE the Dragoons. We just intend to claim to be affilated and intend to work with other units who make the same claim and have the same agenda.

Edited by Gallowglas, 15 April 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#11 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostTarget Rich, on 15 April 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Lol...well Federated Suns is already out there and active...

NECRO!!!! :(

Anyway, the game will not allow canon names for units in CW...

Does not matter if someone calls dibs or not.

Players will NOT be able to claim canon units as their own. When it comes to Mercenary Units/Corps/Companies, these names will not be available during MC creation. Trying to circumvent the naming system will result in the Merc Corp being renamed/denied.

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...post__p__227378

It was an old discussion and the result was that canon names are banned to players.

#13 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Oh geez...I just noticed this was necroed. ><

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users