52 replies to this topic

#1 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Since there was no specific thread dedicated to this great series based off of George R.R. Martin's, A Song of Ice & Fire book set, I decided to create one. All are welcome; the readers, those who just watch the TV series & those who have been living under a rock for the past few years & have no idea what this is about.

For those who have read the books please clearly label if you are going to post spoilers. (for the purpose of this thread, spoilers are anything not yet shown past Episode 2 of Season 2; backstories are NOT considered spoilers)

Have at it!

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 12 April 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#2 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

The last time I got passionately interested in a story, I think the network found out and killed it, the last series I have watched when it came on brand new.

That show, was "Firefly"

I will typically only watch re-runs now because they cannot know everything. (It is like the Max Headroom world, for reals!)

#3 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Poor Firefly, doomed by a stoooopid network.

GoT is a great series of books. Although this past effort was a little meandering, IMHO.

After the online outrage over a certain execution near the end of the first season I CANNOT wait for a few other key scenes to play on in the TV series.
I'm liking the series, and Characters I might not have had a whole lot of interest in in the books have come to life for me in the TV series.

Cheers.

#4 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Frankly, I would rather talk about Firefly than A Song of Ice and Fire.

I loved Game of Thrones (the first book), but after that things got to be a little too much for me. Martin started to get convoluted for the sake of it, Martin started killing off characters until I just stopped caring anymore, and I got tired of all the gratuitous sex scenes (I figured I could get the same sort of thing online for free).

Of course, it's also one of the most successful series ever, so my opinion hardly matters here. I'm not trying to imply that anyone who likes GoT is somehow inferior or stupid. I simply read a LOT of fantasy, and so if a series doesn't catch my attention I drop it and pick up something else.

I'm sure in the next five to ten years or so Martin will put out another book for the series. Until then he can laugh and count his money.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 12 April 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#5 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostJack Gammel, on 12 April 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Frankly, I would rather talk about Firefly than A Song of Ice and Fire.

I loved Game of Thrones (the first book), but after that things got to be a little too much for me. Martin started to get convoluted for the sake of it, Martin started killing off characters until I just stopped caring anymore, and I got tired of all the gratuitous sex scenes (I figured I could get the same sort of thing online for free).

Of course, it's also one of the most successful series ever, so my opinion hardly matters here. I'm not trying to imply that anyone who likes GoT is somehow inferior or stupid. I simply read a LOT of fantasy, and so if a series doesn't catch my attention I drop it and pick up something else.

I'm sure in the next five to ten years or so Martin will put out another book for the series. Until then he can laugh and count his money.

Well I guess you can start your own Firefly thread.

It is a bit complicated trying to follow all the Houses & characters but at the same time that is what sets him apart from Tolkien & makes him such a great writer IMO. His killing off of characters is real life. This is adult fantasy, not childrens. The heroes are not all handsome & pretty wearing white & always triumph while never seeming to die, while the villains are ugly wearing black. This is real life. There are no wholly good or wholly evil characters. The world he created, is the world we live in; grey instead of black & white.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 12 April 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#6 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 12 April 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Well I guess you can start your own Firefly thread.

It is a bit complicated trying to follow all the Houses & characters but at the same time that is what sets him apart from Tolkien & makes him such a great writer IMO. His killing off of characters is real life. This is adult fantasy, not childrens. The heroes are not all handsome & pretty wearing white & always triumph while never seeming to die, while the villains are ugly wearing black. This is real life. There are no wholly good or wholly evil characters. The world he created, is the world we live in; grey instead of black & white.

Thanks for your input.

What? I get singled out and the first two posters don't? :P

Sorry if I sort of hijacked the thread or came off sounding like a smart alec.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting that Martin was a poor writer or that his world was somehow inferior. Like I said before, there's a whole lot more people who disagree with my opinion than do.

Well, I'll get out of here now to avoid hijacking this thread even more than I already have...

#7 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Love Game of Thrones (TV Show). I haven't read the books yet but as the books are always better than the movies/shows I'll stick with the show for now and read the books later.

#8 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I don't to read the books because they'll spoil the damn show for me. I absolutely love GoT, haven't liked a show this much (or more) since Dexter first came on. I'm addicted to this show, it's a shame season 2 is only 10 episodes like the last because of ridonculous production costs.

#9 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Season 3 will also be 10 episodes. Also they make a few changes from the book. They follow it as best as they can, but there are some things that have to be altered for TV purposes.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 13 April 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#10 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

My brother and I where trying to figure out a little why ago why they called the TV series Game of Thrones instead of the original name for the book series; A Song of Ice and Fire. I figured that the network execs thought that Game of Thrones flowed better and was easier to remember then A Song of Ice and Fire. Pandering at its best I suppose.

Oh well.

#11 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

I guess it sounded better for TV.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 13 April 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#12 StompyMcGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

The series has been OK. The last few books have, IMO wandered a bit; almost seems like Martin has lost sight of where he was intending to go with it.

TBH, I think they went with Game of Thrones because frankly A Song of Ice And Fire sounds a bit airy-fairy.

#13 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

In typical HBO fashion, they are starting to deviate away from the books. The first season, was _almost_ dead on, but they are starting to take more liberties as it unfolds.

They did this with Pacific and True Blood as well.

Still, a good romp with some damn fine actors/actresses.

#14 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

I totally love it. Even the german dubbing is amazing, I couldn't make out real differences between the voices when I switched from german dubbed to english original, which is rare...
I'm reading the first book right now, I'm really cought.

#15 WithSilentWings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

The last time I got passionately interested in a story, I think the network found out and killed it, the last series I have watched when it came on brand new.

That show, was "Firefly"

I will typically only watch re-runs now because they cannot know everything. (It is like the Max Headroom world, for reals!)

NOOOOO FIREFLYYYYYYY :):(:P:( why must it's death haunt all corners of my life.

Also: Arrested Development. **** you Fox.

#16 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostVandul, on 13 April 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

In typical HBO fashion, they are starting to deviate away from the books. The first season, was _almost_ dead on, but they are starting to take more liberties as it unfolds.

They did this with Pacific and True Blood as well.

Still, a good romp with some damn fine actors/actresses.

This is not directed at you specifically but for the audience of book readers in general, who think like you.

Please keep in mind this is an adaptation of the book for TV, it will hold true but it will not always be dead on. There are things that HAVE to be changed, added or left out for TV purposes.

Changed: When Arya sees Jaqen H'gar for the first time in his cage, he is described as having his hair red on one side & white on the other. The guy in the show was blonde. Did it ruin the show? No. GRRM says some fans overreact to this stuff. In an interview he said if he describes a character with dark hair in the book & on the show he has red hair some people go, "OMG they changed his hair. AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH they ruined it! I can't watch anymore!"

Theon Greyjoy's sister Asha, is renamed Yara on the show to avoid confusion with Osha, the wildling woman captured by the Starks. Annoying? Yes. Ruined the show? No.

When Robert Baratheon visits Winterfell to ask Eddard Stark to be the Hand of the King, Queen Cersei is riding in a portable castle so to speak. It is three stories high & pulled by forty horses. It was so huge, that it could not fit through the gates of Winterfell. D&D said they could not afford to build something like that, so they settled for what we saw.

Davos Seaworth had his top joints of his last three fingers on his left hand cut off by Stannis Baratheon. The actor portraying Davos is left handed, so they had to do it on his right hand. I think the show will be alright.

Added: The fight between Khal Drogo & Ko Mago never took place in the books. D&D however wanted to give the viewers an idea of how badass Drogo was. Even GRRM was impressed & he wrote the damn books.

Left out: When Robb learns Ned has been arrested, he sends out ravens for his banner-men to rally to him. GRRM described a montage he wanted of all the banner-men each receiving their ravens with the message, gathering their forces & converging on Winterfell. D&D loved it but they could not afford it so all we saw was the ravens going out.

Things are going to be altered.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 13 April 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#17 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

I consider the show to be the heavily redacted, Reader's Digest Condensed version of the books. I agree with the producers that there is simply not the time and money available to stay true to the details. Certain things will have to be condensed and compressed. Such is the reality of turning a huge sprawling story into a miniseries.

The show; Peter Dinklage plays his part marvelously. Earned that Emmy and Golden Globe. The rest of the cast seems to have a deep understanding of their character's motivations. The show will be remembered for the sex and violence (as demonstrated by a number of recent HBO productions) but the cast should not be forgotten.

As for the books; First one had me hook, line and sinker. Second one as well. The third one got a bit bloody. The fourth was a bit tiring as people kept dying. The fifth and sixth were even more of the same with me wondering if GRRM was trying to be known as the greatest mass murderer in literature - "People are really starting to love this character, time to kill them". Still quite engrossing in a morbid, watching-a-train-wreck-in-progress kind of way. A friendly warning for those that have not read the books; Do Not Get Emotionally Attached to Any of the Characters. People Die in War. (but really, GRMM. "Them" too? Really?!)

Thinking the way GRRM is killing off the major players that the last scene in the last book/episode will be a huge stack of corpses strewn about the throne room. Who will be sitting on the throne? pfft, if book seven is more of the same carnage I'll stop caring by then.

Ran into someone who didn't want to read any of the books until the show was over. Had to remind him that there is a wealth of character development in the book that one cannot get from the show. Suggested that he read the first book now and once done with that follow the show by reading a few chapters at a time as each season progressed.

Still, a very good read with very deep characters each with their own flaws a nuances. Quite believable world he has built. Should not be missed by medieval fantasy aficionados.

#18 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

The sixth? The sixth has not been released as yet.

#19 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

View PostMagnificent *******, on 12 April 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Love Game of Thrones (TV Show). I haven't read the books yet but as the books are always better than the movies/shows I'll stick with the show for now and read the books later.

The books are better... But beware, Cersi and Sansa are even more retarded and annoying in the books. But Sansa does get a bit better in book four, just a little though...

View Postpursang, on 13 April 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

My brother and I where trying to figure out a little why ago why they called the TV series Game of Thrones instead of the original name for the book series; A Song of Ice and Fire. I figured that the network execs thought that Game of Thrones flowed better and was easier to remember then A Song of Ice and Fire. Pandering at its best I suppose.

Oh well.

Well the line/saying/phrase 'Game of Thrones' does come up occasionaly in the other books as well...

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 15 April 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#20 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

After I first saw the first season of game of thrones, I got hold of all the books for my Kindle and started reading. They are really good. The TV show has it's place in that it truly visualizes the characters and the universe in a way your imagination often can't and make it all seem more stylistic and epic with music and all that, but the books simply contain so much more of the universe. All those little stories that explains the background for the major houses, the characters backgrounds and the thoughts they are walking around with simply brings so much more volume to the story.

So both the books and the TV series have their places, but if I had to choose I'd go with the books where you get the "whole experience". If you are not a reader type, then the TV series is a worthy pass card into the universe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users