• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

It really all depends on from where the word for Liao is derived.

I'm not a big fan of Wikipedia 'facts,' but - (for the sake of the ignorant or just plain insulting, who try to assume that anything referenced in a game can have no basis in reality) - Liao is real. (http://en.wikipedia....ki/Liao_Dynasty) A river, a name, a Dynasty, etc.

Personally, I always went with the Liao Dynasty ideogram, but I'm not sure if that was the intent of the original BT creators (or if they even cared).

#22 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

View Postzwanglos, on 20 April 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

http://baike.baidu.com/view/65602.htm
http://baike.baidu.c...iew/1165354.htm

The character 辽 is the simplified version (i.e. reformed in the mid-20th century to be easier to write and improve general literacy rates) of the original character 遼, and 尞 is ascribed the meaning 'long, far, distant.' Aside from place names such as 辽东 Liaodong peninsula, 辽河 LiaoHe river, etc., the only meaning that 辽/遼 seems to have is 'far, distant', as in the Mandarin word 辽远. The aforementioned Liao /Khitan dynasty was, I think, thusly named because of the Liao river being within its borders.

I was under the impression that the Liao Dynasty was called such because of their Khitan origins. They are "outside the wall" hence foreign or distant. The same applied to the Qing Dynasty being invited into the country through the Great Wall to end the Ming Dynastic cycle.

#23 Edwyndham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

http://zh.wikipedia....6.A5.A0.5D.5D-8

史学界对「契丹」的含义最广为接受的说法是镔铁或刀剑之意。而后来改国名为“遼”也是“铁”的意思,同时“辽”也是契丹人发祥地辽水的名字,以示不忘本之意。

The implicit meaning for "Khitan" most widely accepted by historians is that of "wrought iron" or "sword." Additionally, when the country was later renamed "Liao," this character also had the meaning of "iron," and at the same time "Liao" is a name indicative of not forgetting one's roots, as it derives from the birthplace of the Khitan people, the Liao River.

*shrug*

I know "wikipedia facts" only get one so far, but it's a good starting point as any. 中国古代王朝和政权名号探源 unfortunately doesn't seem to have a handy e-book version.

#24 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

ewwww

#25 WARCRACK

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

View Postmetro, on 24 April 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

ewwww

Something against the Chinese?

#26 Ricky Cheung

Lead QA

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

+1 for 辽 = Liao

遼 is the traditional Chinese character for it.

*This is by no means the official response from PGI. Just my personal opinion, since I come from a chinese background.

#27 Nerroth

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

For what it's worth, XTRO:1945 makes a point of listing Liao Yaoxiang (廖耀湘) as a notable commander of the Type 97 Chi-Ha. There is no guarantee that he is supposed to be an ancient relative of Elias Liao, but one could imagine the in-universe authors playing up the name similarity (as they did for certain other notable figures in that file).

Also, it may be worth noting that Elias Liao himself is noted as having been of British and Nepalese descent, though he did live in Hong Kong; the overt identification with Chinese culture only really became a full-on "thing" in the Confederation when Sun-Tzu Liao launched the Xin Sheng movement.

As for Kurita, given the overt self-identification of the Combine Kuritas with Kurita Takeo (栗田 健男), it might be likely to imagine that their use of characters matches. Perhaps there might be something more definitive published in Handbook: House Kurita?

Edited by Nerroth, 01 May 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#28 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

The Liao Dynasty (Khitan: Mos Jælud; Mongolian: Лиао Улс; simplified Chinese: 辽朝; traditional Chinese: 遼朝; pinyin: Liáo Cháo:huh:,[2] also known as the Khitan Empire (Khitan: Mos diau-d kitai huldʒi gur; Mongolian: Хятан Гүрэн, Кидан Гүрэн; simplified Chinese: 契丹国; traditional Chinese: 契丹國; pinyin: Qìdān Guó),[3] was an empire in East Asia that ruled over Mongolia and portions of the Russian Far East, northern Korea, and northern China proper from 907 to 1125. It was founded by the Khitan Great Khan Abaoji around the time of the collapse of the Han Chinese Tang Dynasty. Almost immediately after its founding, the Liao Dynasty began a process of territorial expansion, with its founder Abaoji leading a successful conquest of the Bohai. Later emperors would gain sixteen Chinese prefectures by fueling a proxy war that led to the collapse of the Tang Dynasty, and would make both the Goryeo and the Song Dynasty into tribute states following successful military campaigns into their territories.

#29 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

I always heard it was the same one as "surrender" :(

Cheers, bros :huh:

#30 Kip Wilson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon USA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Solved:

http://en.wikipedia....o_%28surname%29

Liao is a common family surname in Southern China. would be the correct character for the Liao family name.

#31 Sabbathiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 381 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives Compact.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Simple! 廖楼

#32 kristan dagley

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

Well folks I decided to go straight to the source and ask the powers that be over at Catalyst Game Labs on their forums, if they have an answer. classicbattletech.com

Herbert Beas (BattleTech‘s Line Developer) had this to say: "I do not believe that information has ever been determined for BattleTech canon. Thank you, - Herbert Beas"

So any guesses on our part are purely that until such a time as those in the know decide to pick one for us.

#33 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

If you guys are still in doubt after the inquiry at Catalyst :
Take the ideogram for "raised middlefinger/ *****************" for the Liao´s in general, as the mindset of "frack you, I´ll show you how Liao´s roll" seems kinda hitting spot on for the whole family , but Maximilian and Kali especially .

^^

so according to forumcensor "fl!pp!ng @ b!rd" is an evil word ... hups

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 25 August 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#34 kristan dagley

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

凸 [tū] protruding; raised

House Tu doesn't quite have the same pleasent sound to it as Liao.

#35 HellAvenger

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Yen-Lo-Wang is 100% Japanese looking PERIOD. So I will not be buying it ever.

#36 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

it would be awesome to see some chinese lettering on some of the Capellan mechs like the Raven and Cataphract or maybe even some of the cockpit in chinese

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users