- - - - -

Matchmaking Phase 4 - Feedback

233 replies to this topic

#101 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

I know everyone's already taken the **** out of you for this post, but... screw it! I want my space on the bandwagon too!

View Postjay35, on 12 April 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

To be honest, "meh". It's fine and all, but to be honest, I don't really want every match to be close. Close is stressful. I game primarily to have fun. To enjoy the game. Enjoyment naturally comes from winning. And I'm used to winning more than losing when it comes to FPS games. So to reduce my winning, as ELO inherently does by giving better than average players tougher than average opponents, will cause me less than a normal level of enjoyment.
It's not a huge deal. I'm not going to whine because I don't get to crush the enemy every round. But it must be pointed out that you are very directly reducing the fun factor of the game for above average players any time they're looking for relaxation and fun rather than competition and stress.

Jeeze man, have some empathy for the crappier players. You might have fun curb stomping a boatload of noobs on the enemy team, but, if you were in their shoes, it sure as hell wouldn't be fun to get dominated every single match.

What you're talking about is literally the worst game design for a pvp game. Having noobs and bad players matched against above average player just makes the game into a meat grinder, where new players come in and get obliterated by the veterans. Then they quit. Sure you might get a few here and there that convert into the hardcore playerbase, and then bash noobs themselves, but the majority will just be cannon fodder until they quit, which is a very hard to sustain design.

All you have to do to see how terrible this game design is, is to imagine that the roles were reversed. You're an above average player, so how would you feel if the game was setup so that above average players were consistantly matched against the super-pro players, just so that the super-pros would be given stress free wins. Meanwhile, you're being thrown to the wolves. You're consistantly the least skilled player in the game, and as such, you tend to do very little damage and die spectacularly in every match.

The meat-grinder type of experience you talk about is one that works well in a co-op or single player game, but it does not work for pvp. Every mech is a person, so for you to get easy wins constantly means that someone else is getting their *** handed to them whenever they play.

Also, at a fundamental level, I disagree with your preference. I'm the kind of guy who likes a challenge. A victory against someone who doesn't know how to play isn't a victory, it just makes me feel like an *** for destroying them before they had a chance. If every game is stacked in your favor, then you also don't get to experience the best feeling in any game, the come-from-behind victory.

To each their own, I suppose, but I just could not disagree with you more.

Edited by LackofCertainty, 12 April 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#102 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

I am one that doesn't realy care what I go up against. Nonetheless, can't realy go wrong with a more balanced match. However, it comes at a cost (See quote below. I would have said something simlar).

View PostINSEkT L0GIC, on 12 April 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

The more strict the filters the longer it takes to find each matching player as well. No one wants to wait over 30 minutes for it to find a match, or several hours of "no match found" before giving up and playing something else. Most people, especially new players, want to jump into a game right away.

Filters add wait time. Personaly, I would prefer the players themselves deside how strick they want the MatchMaker to be. However, I don't see such a system working in this environment. So, a Lobby would be the best alternative.

#103 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

A non-bugged ELO is a lot better than a bugged one, not sure why people are disappointed by that.

#104 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

View Postjakucha, on 12 April 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

A non-bugged ELO is a lot better than a bugged one, not sure why people are disappointed by that.

not all of us can constantly ignore the bad things this company does and be a constant cheerleader. Just like not all of us can stalk other ppls' online accounts, post the info on these forums and not get a permaban from it.

#105 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Any changes to ECM in these patches?

#106 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens next weekend ...

#107 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 12 April 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

It will be interesting to see what happens next weekend ...

TOURNEY, TOURNEY!!!

#108 Henrylw

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

My additional advice: Reward punishment. Higher ELO rating, higher bonus exp and money. For example ELO 1 = 1% additional money and exp. ELO 10 = 10% additional money and exp.

#109 Bazukyuu

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Welcome phase 4 MM for the more future MM. It will be better than current one.

#110 yashmack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 802 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

When will the 4 player limit be removed?
Im so tired of playing alone when 4 of my lance mates are in game...

#111 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

A little question: is this a total team weight balance or a player to player weight balance? I mean I got a 50ton and 1 opponent runs a 50tons or let's say "500ton each team" ?

#112 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 12 April 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

They also tend not to want to be thrown to the wolves in horribly imbalanced matches when they are already handicapped by trial mechs

I figure that's why they are changing it so new players start low to work their way up instead of the half-way point they were set at.

View PostEddrick, on 12 April 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

I am one that doesn't realy care what I go up against. Nonetheless, can't realy go wrong with a more balanced match. However, it comes at a cost (See quote below. I would have said something simlar).

Filters add wait time. Personaly, I would prefer the players themselves deside how strick they want the MatchMaker to be. However, I don't see such a system working in this environment. So, a Lobby would be the best alternative.

The only drawback to relying on a lobby system is getting stuck spamming "LRM Boat LFG" or somesuch trying to get a team together, so the more options the better.

Edited by INSEkT L0GIC, 13 April 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#113 Miken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

WEIGHT CLASS MATCHING! I was waiting it since CBT, don't screw up guys!

#114 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Total weight of all mechs in a team means NOTHING. We must have mech class matching back. A team of 2 jenners and 2 atlases will always win vs the team of 2 centurions and 2 awesomes.

Elo or whatever system you use to sort players 'by skill' should do it by their skill not by their win/loss ratio. Win/loss ratio means NOTHING, winning and losing as a team vs higher/lower ranked team means NOTHING in terms of each one player skill. Elo must be based off game score, and game score must be adequately adjusted to equally reward assault mech pilots who do the damage and light mech pilots who do scouting, support, base defense and capture.

Finally, we must be able to drop with 5, 6 and 7 players in group again. PUG stomps were happening, still happening and will always be happening and it has nothing to do with nasty premades. Over the last couple months I haven't seen any less PUG stomps, I have seen many PUG-only teams stomp other PUG-only teams just because they had at least some corrdination and the other team had not.

#115 Tykelau

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationPisces - Cetus Supercluster Complex

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

I'm pretty happy about all of these changes.

I never ran into a problem with weight values myself, but the forums did seem to have a problem with it so I'm ok with that too.

All in all, good steps in the right direction.

#116 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 12 April 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

not all of us can constantly ignore the bad things this company does and be a constant cheerleader.

If I'm a cheerleader, I hope realize you're no different than what you claim I am.

Edited by jakucha, 13 April 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#117 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 13 April 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

A team of 2 jenners and 2 atlases will always win vs the team of 2 centurions and 2 awesomes.

That's simply not true. Focus firing and/or aiming for cockpit can easily put it in favor of the non-Atlas team, also depends on whether or not they stick together.

#118 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

It's good news.

What I also would have liked though, is a separate ELO rating for each Mech, rather than the weight class. I did make a thread detailing the problems with a one weight class ELO.

#119 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

A good change which should be done at the beginning,when ELO has been introduced.
No more matches where opponents have 3 Ravens 3L and mine team even one light mech.

This is definetly good work devs,keep it up!

Edited by MasterBLB, 13 April 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#120 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostMiken, on 13 April 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

WEIGHT CLASS MATCHING! I was waiting it since CBT, don't screw up guys!

What were you smoking from like August on, it was class matched until like a month ago.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users