57 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

I salute the YLW player who encountered the light I was tailing (yep, I was in a heavy). As soon as I legged it, he quickly realized that fact and noted I still had most my armor on, and then moved on to help other teammates, allowing me the kill (well, turns out another teammate took that jenner down :blink: ).

I typically try to do the same. Say encountering a light/light chase fest, they cross my path, I get lucky enough to leg the enemy light, I note how many weps that mech has, and I've disengaged. Or coming up upon two heavies brawling, join in to the point of destroying every weapon on the enemy mech, and disengaging the same. Both instances, ensuring the teammate can easily finish the job he/she started.

I know it's impossible to sort out these kinda things in an 8v8 fight fest - whoever gets the kill gets it. And I'm not at the least complaining if that happens. But seeing such courteous action like what I saw on the YLW today on the virtual battlefield makes me enjoy playing with players that keep the spirit of the game alive. B)

#2 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

There is no zellbrigen in this game. If I have an opportunity to kill an enemy mech faster thus saving a teammate from taking any further damage, however small, I will do it. The game isn't about how many kills you get, its about your team getting the win.

#3 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Less Farmville, more Mechwarrior.

Kill mechs efficiently and effectively. If you're leaving a mech for a teammate to finish off, it should be because you are desperately needed elsewhere.

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostVxheous, on 13 April 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

The game isn't about X, its about Y

This game is about whatever you want it to be about B)

#5 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

This game is about whatever you want it to be about B)

But it's not.

#6 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 13 April 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

But it's not.

How so?

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

A wounded man holding a gun can still shoot you, and I'd prefer to not leave my solo friend to "finish-off" an armed and dangerous wounded gunman... that would increase your risk of Mission Failure...

Sorry if I offend you by killing that armed war machine that you were fighting, but you might recall that he had guns, and the best way to win is to eliminate your enemy's ability to fire guns at you. Killing them works great to that effect.

There's no such thing as a Kill-Steal; there are only Team Kills. When you destroy an enemy Mech, your Team scores a kill.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 13 April 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#8 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Great story OP. There used to be something called OwP; the 'online warfare pact'. It started to really take off during beta testing of the first installment of 'day of defeat' (some of the beta stuff occurred on a server I and others ran). Basically it was just a code of conduct that players could sign up too. Players who signed up would then incorporate the [OwP] tag into their names/online handles. Would be great to see that here!

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 13 April 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#9 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 13 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Great story OP. There used to be something called OwP; the 'online warfare pact'. It started to really take off during beta testing of the first installment of 'day of defeat' (some of the beta stuff occurred on a server I and others ran). Basically it was just a code of conduct that players could sign up too. Players who signed up would then incorporate the [OwP] tag into their names/online handles. Would be great to see that here!

I'm a merc and approve this message. It tells me who I can take advantage of in-game.

Filthy clanners.

#10 LockeJaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 13 April 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

There's no such thing as a Kill-Steal; there are only Team Kills. When you destroy an enemy Mech, your Team scores a kill.

I call it a deny... and pretend it was intentional>.< Bloody guys crossing my lasers while nearly dead.

#11 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 13 April 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

A wounded man holding a gun can still shoot you, and I'd prefer to not leave my solo friend to "finish-off" an armed and dangerous wounded gunman... that would increase your risk of Mission Failure...

Sorry if I offend you by killing that armed war machine that you were fighting, but you might recall that he had guns, and the best way to win is to eliminate your enemy's ability to fire guns at you. Killing them works great to that effect.

I would have finished off that light as it would have allowed both mechs to engage the remaining enemies immediately. That can sometimes be enough of a difference between a win and loss for the team.

#12 TOGSolid

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostNoobzorz, on 13 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Less Farmville, more Mechwarrior.

Kill mechs efficiently and effectively. If you're leaving a mech for a teammate to finish off, it should be because you are desperately needed elsewhere.

This is pretty much the only reason I'll pull off like that. I don't care about personal glory, my goal is to make sure we win. If you get buttmad that "I stole your kill" well too bad. I don't complain when someone finishes my target off because I recognize that the faster something dies the better because it frees up pilots who can then help jump other enemies.

I do have a bit of a violent reaction to "e-honor" because of some certain drama in Jedi Knight 2, so there is that.

Edited by TOGSolid, 13 April 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#13 PianoMan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Figured it would garner some discussion. Good to see different perspectives.

Never said anything about kill stealing, blah - blah. We get too wrapped around the axle in arguing about win/loss, this is OP, that is OP, etc...

Yes, kill mechs efficiently, get that team win. I agree. But it was refreshing to see a different grain of wood in the game.

#14 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Only times that the rules of zellbrigen were used in the game that I've seen was when there were unequal drops (3-5 vs 8). We ended up basically duelling, made it more fun than just a roflstomp of the smaller team.

#15 bigdaddynash

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationout the back

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

and i thought the gentlemen mechpilot era ended a few hundred years ago.

obviously someone was lying to me.

#16 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

I can't recall the number of matches where I've been down to a single laser, and still put the kill-shot of mechs (ammo explosions, XL engines, etc). Heck, I've even been legged (while in my trusty Hunchback), looking right at an Atlas, and managed to take it out.

I've seen Atlas's killed by wounded lights with only a small laser left. We all have. I'm sure we've all been on the receiving end as well. While a mech still has weaponry, it's a threat.

#17 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostZombie Gandhi, on 13 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

While a mech still has weaponry, it's a threat.

This.

Anyone on my team is welcome to the kill shot of anything I'm shooting. When that happens I'm just stoked that there is someone else on the team focusing fire other than me. B)

#18 Tor6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

The only time I leave wounded enemies who still have guns to be finished off is when I'm playing with a friend and I know he needs all the XP he can get to finish off the basics/elite of the mech he's running. Or if I know a teammate is almost to the fight but doesn't have an assist on the target and could use the money. It doesn't matter who gets the kill and who gets the assist otherwise.

#19 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

#20 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

No, this is incorrect. If you have a clear shot, you SHOULD take it.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users