The Lack Of Courtesy And Chat

108 replies to this topic

#101 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostCabusha, on 14 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

I've been playing since the old closed beta days, and I'm still amazed at how quiet people are. I regularly type out a friendly "Good Hunting" or "Good Luck, Have Fun" to everyone, and seldom get a reply from the opposition or even my own team.

If it wasn't for socialization with my guild, I'd have dropped this game long ago. The community is just absurdly anti-social.

I find these "glhf" chats annoying and pointless. You are playing a combat video game. This is not a tea party or facebook.

You can socialize with actual useful information, like commenting on their/your mech or tactics or whatever. Blowing them virtual kisses with "glhf" before a match is completely meaningless.

View PostDraco Harkins, on 15 April 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

I see most answers here and my mind and soul is bleeding. Pointless to be cordial and respectfull?

Telling them to have fun is itself pointless. If they were not having fun, they would not be playing.

#102 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

I wouldn't take it personally mate. I know when I drop in I am immediately setting weapon groups and talking about the strat we are going to employ with the rest of the squad. By the time I'm done with that the game is active and were moving out. Just no time for texts.

#103 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostLyrik, on 15 April 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

I don't communicate with people who are too lazy or too l33t to answer my "gl, hf".

You don't need to, because people like me will. I do pay attention to useful information in chat. Virtual hugs are not useful information.

#104 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostSheraf, on 14 April 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

You can yell something in the All chat like

I WILL KILL YOU ALL

That helps keep the mood going, at least type something ;)

I had someone type that in team chat once... as soon as we could, we all turned to face him.. to which he suddenly replied "I meant that to the other team" - it was hilarious.. I thnk there was a lime green stalker and a couple other hilarious paintjobs and it was really entertaining to see them all turn around.

#105 jtyotJOTJIPAEFVJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostDraco Harkins, on 15 April 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

I see most answers here and my mind and soul is bleeding. Pointless to be cordial and respectfull? Uau, i mean uau, when i write something i mean it and i always write something, might it be a cordial lore challenge to steiners or Dracs (which most people that use faction symbols dont even know the meaning, another source of sadness) when i actually see a reply in also cordial challenge it brightens my day and reminds me of a better community from other times.

No one actually cares about your stupid 30-year old lore. What's really sad is when people get upset that someone doesn't follow the lore just the way you'd like and start complaining that the game is going to be ruined because of it. The faction symbols are just this forum's version of avatars, you're supposed to pick the one that looks the coolest to you. What makes a community better isn't people like you nitpicking about stuff like this.

#106 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

LOL that is awesome!

View PostFierostetz, on 15 April 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

I had someone type that in team chat once... as soon as we could, we all turned to face him.. to which he suddenly replied "I meant that to the other team" - it was hilarious.. I thnk there was a lime green stalker and a couple other hilarious paintjobs and it was really entertaining to see them all turn around.

#107 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostPiipu, on 15 April 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

No one actually cares about your stupid 30-year old lore. What's really sad is when people get upset that someone doesn't follow the lore just the way you'd like and start complaining that the game is going to be ruined because of it. The faction symbols are just this forum's version of avatars, you're supposed to pick the one that looks the coolest to you. What makes a community better isn't people like you nitpicking about stuff like this.

QFT

I love Battletech lore, but really, this game is still beta. The faction symbols mean almost nothing at this point and trying to role play on PUGs is pointless.

#108 scruffy416

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'd chat more, but my typing sucks.... and the key-repeat nerf makes my attempts at correcting my typing horrors a bit of a non-starter... when you see a mech humping the side of a building for 30 seconds, that's me using chat ;)

So usually, I'll skip the social chat... but I'll definitely do tactical chat, eg. report enemy locations/numbers,etc.

I used to throw out a 'gg' after every game, but recently I've been holding off to see the scoreboard first... I'll hold off on typing if the game was a complete facestomp for/against.

#109 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

just a thought - I've used programmable keyboard macros for years (`sig types out my whole email signature, for example) - has anyone tried that in MWO? I'll give it a shot when I get home.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users