Battletech!

22 replies to this topic

#1 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'm talking about the game "Battletech" the one for the SEGA Genesis.

I'm talking about... this one! Where they say "Battletech!" in it(hence the thread topic name).

I want this game on XB LIVE Arcade. I'd even pay 1200 MSP for it! Maybe even 1600!

Someone should make this happen.

#2 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

Lol I remember that game. I also remember the horrible co-op system (the players shared a mech; one player controlled the movement, the other controlled the torso twist and weapons). And the fact that, at the time, I found it quite difficult... Wish I still had my Genesis and games so I could give Battletech (and Shadowrun, and NBA Jam) another try

#3 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

The co-op mode was hilarious if you weren't actually trying to win. The torso always arguing with the legs about where to go, what to dodge, and who to shoot. It was like a two-headed ogre.

Edited by Miles Tails Prower, 07 November 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#4 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

Flying Marauders FTW!

#5 Mercurial

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

The game was so weird. It was basically a port of those Helicopter strike games, but randomly with a Madcat.

I also remember it being absurdly difficult, but then--yeah, I was playing co-op. It was problematic.

#6 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

View PostMercurial, on 07 November 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

The game was so weird. It was basically a port of those Helicopter strike games, but randomly with a Madcat.

I also remember it being absurdly difficult, but then--yeah, I was playing co-op. It was problematic.

Yeah like Jungle Strike and Desert Strike, I liked those games too.

I could always get the last level in Battletech, but I could never beat it.

#7 DiabloX

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

I had both this one and the SNES version "Mechwarrior 3050". I remember it had button codes to enter during loading and you could change what mech you piloted. I loved changing to the Marauder and wreaking havoc. Man I miss that game.

If you really want to play it, i know they have it on emulators for your computer.

Edited by DiabloX, 07 November 2011 - 10:06 PM.

#8 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

View PostDiabloX, on 07 November 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

If you really want to play it, i know they have it on emulators for your computer.

There's just something about owning it on my XB360 that has a particular charm.

I mean if I wanted to play Sonic the Hedgehog 2 I could just hook up my SEGA Genesis and play it, but I like having it on my XB360. Same with Battletech, I actually still have it in a crate full of SEGA Genesis games alongside others like John Madden Football '92, Super Thunderblade and Vectorman. But there's just a charm to having it on the XB360.

#9 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

Yeah... I won't stop someone from enjoying this part of the franchise if it is their thing, but I would rather have a King Crab punt me like a football then play that thing again. I miss CHI and CHR myself though, and I play with people who feel the same way about those games as I feel about Madcat Strike.

#10 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Personally I thought the Helicopter strike games were harder than Battletech since you had to worry about fuel as well. On the other hand I liked rescuing the MIAs in the helicopter strike games.

#11 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Pffft... you and your talk about emulators and modern consoles - why don't you go to the next flea market and get the real thing?
Seriously, a snes nowadays is about 15$, a game between 1$ to 10$. Compared to back in the day, that's a steal.

#12 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

View PostExilyth, on 09 November 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

Pffft... you and your talk about emulators and modern consoles - why don't you go to the next flea market and get the real thing?
Seriously, a snes nowadays is about 15$, a game between 1$ to 10$. Compared to back in the day, that's a steal.

The question then(if buying from a flea market) is how many times you have to kick it until it works. Hah.

#13 Blackangel

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationlima ohio terra

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

i had that game now i wish i never sold the system to the collector , ah well ....

#14 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

View PostMiles Tails Prower, on 09 November 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

The question then(if buying from a flea market) is how many times you have to kick it until it works. Hah.

Don't you mean "blow" them?

I remember what a pain in the rear that was, and looking back, it's rather hilarious how primitive it all was. You could never just stick the cartridge right in, no, you can to blow on the leads (the moister the better!), and then you had to stick it in just right, sometimes stopping short of pushing it down all the way, and if someone so much as sneezed in the same room while you were playing, the cartridge would be jogged and the game would freeze (and of course, most games didn't have a save function back then).

#15 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

alright, so you find a game system... trick is finding the game.

PGI Go harass nintendo to release the two battletech games on their virtual console... if they still put things out on it, been a year or so since i looked at the wii shop

#16 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

Battletech on Sega Genesis was my first exposure to the Gauss rifle; I was surprised to learn that it WASN'T some kind of mortar system upon reading the updated rules in CityTech 2nd Edition....

#17 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Oh man used to play that game all the time. Although I seem to remember playing it on SNES (It had a different name as well IIRC).

Years later I actually beat it, using an emulator. At the time, it was impossible, I could barely get past the second level.

#18 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

View PostMiles Tails Prower, on 07 November 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

The co-op mode was hilarious if you weren't actually trying to win. The torso always arguing with the legs about where to go, what to dodge, and who to shoot. It was like a two-headed ogre.

That was me and my brother throughout that game on the Genesis. :)

Still decent fun though!

#19 Peryl

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

So who wants a copy? I just picked up two copies from a local used game shop. Message me directly if you are interested before I get them onto ebay sometime next week.

#20 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

View Postcobrafive, on 18 November 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

Although I seem to remember playing it on SNES (It had a different name as well IIRC).

Mechwarrior 3050 is the title you are looking for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users