57 replies to this topic

#41 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

I love how legging keeps comes up. Rarely did I leg or get legged and I played other iterations of this game a lot. I played Med's and heavies. If I ever did a leg shot it was on flippin ullers and even then it was so hard to get a bead on the legs I would aim for the bulk. The other ones snipers MKII Pop Snipers were sometimes an issue but it wasnt something I couldnt work around. My most memorable Battletech/Mechwarrior experience was being legged. It was an early iteration of the game and in a scenario. I was piloting a Mad Dog and my leg was blown off. So there i was face down in my cockpit and still able to turn my torso and shoot. I nailed the last mech who haphazardly walked in front of me (I like to think he thought I was out of the picture but this is AI we are talking about). It was friggin awesome. Down but not out.

#42 Slavgaard

Rookie

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSW Texas

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

What about flamers? I always loved to take my light, equipped with nothing but flamers, run(..er..try to dodge and llive) then flame the big guy, make him shut down while my buddies rain pain on the shutdown mech.

Edited by Slavgaard, 08 June 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#43 StriplingWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 126 posts
  • LocationBarony of Gryphon's Lair, Kingdom of Artemesia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostAaz, on 04 June 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Dude, i've played MW2 and 3, and believe me, you dont know anythyng about legging. :) No offence.

View PostAaz, on 04 June 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Can't win fair? Just win then.

If you are not cheating, you are not trying. - SSG Banks, US Army

#44 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostSlavgaard, on 08 June 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

What about flamers? I always loved to take my light, equipped with nothing but flamers, run(..er..try to dodge and llive) then flame the big guy, make him shut down while my buddies rain pain on the shutdown mech.

Man I hated when that would happen. It was a great tactic though, and I rejoiced when you creepy crawlers took some of my LBX love to the face!

#45 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostAaz, on 04 June 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Dude, i've played MW2 and 3, and believe me, you dont know anythyng about legging. :) No offence.

Quoted for truth. Legging has been an issue in MW2 through MW4, and I suspect some people will whine about it in MWO also no matter what, but in all the games so far, MW4 had the least problems in ballence related to legging. It certainly wasn't perfect however.

Legging gets a lot of people angry for various reasons.

As for people mentioning that it wasn't a problem in the TT. ...Yeah, and?

#46 Mister Houseman

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

If jumpjets are only allowed on jump capable variants, then when are getting a jump capable medium 'mech?

#47 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostMister Houseman, on 08 June 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

If jumpjets are only allowed on jump capable variants, then when are getting a jump capable medium 'mech?

Well, either wait a few weeks, because there's been a new mech almost each fortnight, or wait another year. Clan invasion, 3050. Current game time-span, 3049. So, by that logic, in barely a year, we could all be running around in Uziel or Mad Cats, or (hopefully) Stone Rhino. I LOVE the Behemoth. And Blood Asp, but they were 3060 or something.

#48 Semper Fi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe Great North West of US

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

I did legging because I got the most salvage. ;)

As someone said least amount of criticals, most expensive parts, most C-bills.

#49 Khan Matthew Osis

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

I dont like the fact of coring or legging being equally viable option. It defeats the point of the mechs armor point to vital areas. I should be that if you dont want cored or legged you should have to assign more armor to center torso and legs, at the sacrifice of losing armor to your weapon, heat dissipation, and equipment systems. The Battletech system is already balanced. Dont compensate for bad gunnery pilot skills. This will force players to have to actually become "skilled" pilots. If the player dont want to be leged they will have to up armor or learn to protect weak areas of the mechs. Let the game come down to the piloting and strategically configuring the mechs.

#50 JzT Dolomite

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostMeatMonkey, on 09 June 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

I dont like the fact of coring or legging being equally viable option. It defeats the point of the mechs armor point to vital areas. I should be that if you dont want cored or legged you should have to assign more armor to center torso and legs, at the sacrifice of losing armor to your weapon, heat dissipation, and equipment systems. The Battletech system is already balanced. Dont compensate for bad gunnery pilot skills. This will force players to have to actually become "skilled" pilots. If the player dont want to be leged they will have to up armor or learn to protect weak areas of the mechs. Let the game come down to the piloting and strategically configuring the mechs.

Ok the reason that this issue keeps coming up for thoses who wasnt around for MW2 or MW3, it was a not only an easy tatic, but it led to very bad gameplay that went like this during a match: Go out and start fighting, other team legs you and leaves you facedown on the ground so you would not respawn. So you could spend a good 10 minutes just sitting there OR even worse your own team would have to kill you so you could respawn that would affect your teams score.

Oh and before you say this have max armor on your legs, we all did. Infact you would put always put max armor on your legs, but it never helped cause the torso always has more armor than the legs which led to legging. Plus in MW3 it was just a straight auto kill, the second you fell over the mech was dead. All of this led to how MW4 handled it and mitigated this a lot and put shooting other parts besides the legs to actually be viable.

It was these thing that actually happened that leads to people worrying about legging.

#51 Myshal

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIm in Georgia!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Legging a winning tactic?? Even in pen and paper it hinders but does not win you the match. Pilots can still operate a one legged mech, just hard has hell. Better to hope for those awesome center torso crits and take out the engine or gyro. Legging, pfft. I will be aiming for the pilot ;)

Legging should only be good if you take arms off (or have an armless mech) so that the opponent cant upright themselves.

Edited by Myshal, 10 June 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#52 Khan Matthew Osis

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

legging or hitting any weak spot on the mechs is a vital strategic tactic in all battletech. Just put in the eject button. No mech pilot wants to be in the cockpit when the salvage crews arrive. I feel this is going to "dumb down" the game so that you dont need to develop piloting and gunnery skills and use the mechs to their full potential or push the pilots to theirs either. Mech combat is supposed to be brutal and unforgiving.

#53 OperationExodus

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Forgive me, but I haven't been able to find anything that says either way (perhaps because I don't know how to look). Is legging in MWO a "you lose your leg and fall down and can't move except for jump jets" like MW2, or a "you lose your leg and instantly die" like MW3 and 4? I much prefer the first to the second option.

Edited by Felix Davion, 10 June 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#54 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

In MWO, the devs say destroying both legs kills the mech. I think i am going to move some armor from the torso and max the legs out. Is, i hope, hitting the legs going to be harder hopefully since they are moving targets and 2 smaller objects close to the ground. In TT, a mech is destroyed by taking out the cockpit, head location, center torso, anything else the mech can live through except ammo explosions and 3 engine criticals. I hoped MWO would go to that TT rule. That would solve this issue of legging. Mechs without legs cannot participate much but they might have something to contribute with the AOE electronics gear like ECM installed or help spotting and directing for the team.

#55 Daisu Saikoro

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks. Good JJ question thought it'd seem obvious. Who knew?

#56 Kalenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I don't get why some are saying legging is a "cheap" way to win. It's an obvious weak point on a mech and has the ancillary benefit of slowing down your opponent on a critical hit so you can get behind them when playing in a smaller mech with some speed. Having played all the previous PC MW games, I got shot in the head / torso / arms waaay more often than I got my leg taken out. Can't remember which game, but in at least one version, you could actually get back up if you lost a leg. You couldn't move around any more, but you could still stand and fight back.

... annnnd, if you're good and not under a time constraint, it's actually a tonne of fun to "deconstruct" someone by removing limbs...

Just my two cents.

#57 Myshal

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIm in Georgia!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

I agree that targeting legs is a viable tactic. What I do not agree with is that a leg gone ends your combat ability totally. You may be gimped and limping or ,in the case of a cauldron borne one time, hopping about, but you can still contribute to the fight. I foresee some trouble with mechs that have no lower arm and hand actuators (catapult) pushing themselves back up, but its something you give up with the mech design. TT rules specify this and even with both legs gone you can prop yourself up with one arm and aim weapons with the other. Hella piloting rolls, but do able.

#58 Kolhammer

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

Awesome, cheers for the answers...i was wodnering about if i could use parts from one mech and into another

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users