[Suggestion] Mech Mortars

57 replies to this topic

Poll: Add Mech Mortars? (203 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support the OP's suggestion?

1. Yes (168 votes [82.76%])

Percentage of vote: 82.76%

2. No (32 votes [15.76%])

Percentage of vote: 15.76%

3. Abstain (3 votes [1.48%])

Percentage of vote: 1.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Available in the Inner Sphere since 2531, Mech Mortars are a lower-tech alternative to LRM's.

Originally phased out by LRM's, Mech Mortars started to make a comeback after the advent of AMS.

In MWO, this weapon could provide an alternative to LRM's that does not alert the enemy to incoming munitions, and also be mounted on Ballistic slots, allowing some mechs that were previously incapable of indirect fire, the ability to do so.

The ability to fire semi-guided shells is an interesting twist to the guidance packages that we see from Missiles right now.

LRM Benefits over Mortars:
  • Much more active guidance
  • Easier to aim
  • Fires more projectiles at once
  • 180 Missles per Ton vs. 120 Shells per ton of Mortars.
  • Time to Impact is much faster than Mortars
Mortar Benefits over LRM's:
  • Does not alert target to incoming munitions
  • Fires at higher arcs at indirect targets, allowing shells to hit targets behind steep cover (like Jump Snipers)
  • Fires in flatter arcs at targets in Line of Sight
  • Fire and Forget capability
  • Does not get shot down by AMS.

Edited by Syllogy, 17 April 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#2 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

I like it. This would also fill the weight gap between Machine Guns and AC/2's.

I imagine implementation could be tricky. They could make indirect fire work very similarly to how LRM's are now and direct fire could be more like normal ballistic, point and shoot.

#3 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

MOARtars

#4 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

You forgot that mortars are immune to AMS op.

#5 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Gimme flare and smoke capability YES YES

#6 Macheiron

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 86 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Mech Mortars would certainly make for some interesting gameplay. I would hope that they could be used for Area Denial, in addition to making targeted attacks.

#7 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

This seems like a decent and fascinating weapon compared to current weapons. But in the MWO universe, I am against implementing this before the vast majority of community warfare is implemented and without any other similar weapons being implemented. That is because this would introduce a fourth method of aiming, given the firing arc:
  • Point & shoot (lasers)
  • Point & lead (ballistics & SRMs)
  • Point & hold (LRMs & SSRMs)
  • Point & lob (mortars)
Not to mention different aiming for the arms and torsos. That's tougher for Devs to create and tougher for noobs to use.

#8 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 16 April 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

You forgot that mortars are immune to AMS op.

They would be much more easily countered with dodging though, which every mech comes equipped to do for no additional tons or crit slots.

I say yes. We need more indirect fire options. Also, it would add an additional small sized ballistic weapon which would be great.

Do any mechs come equipped with them stock, though? Many Ask the Devs ago the devs stated that they'd add new weapons when new mechs had them in canon configurations. That's good news for something like the Binary Laser if the Zeus is implemented, but perhaps not for the Mech Mortar.

#9 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

MechMortars would be indeed a nice addition.

View PostFrostCollar, on 16 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Do any mechs come equipped with them stock, though? Many Ask the Devs ago the devs stated that they'd add new weapons when new mechs had them in canon configurations. That's good news for something like the Binary Laser if the Zeus is implemented, but perhaps not for the Mech Mortar.

No MechMortars never made it into canon. However as far as i can remember they could placed into the place of STD Missile Racks in no time.
So every Mech that has cannon LRM would be able to mount mortars.
For the CPLT-C1 one or both LRM could be replaced by Mortar 5s.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 16 April 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#10 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

As an old mortar gunner trained on a 120mm mortar, I approve this suggestion. Let the Silent Death come to our enemies!

#11 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hey , no incoming missile warnings, boom. A dedicated mortar lance would be havoc on snipers.

Edited by ManDaisy, 17 April 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#12 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Wow do I love this idea.

Something to put on missile hardpoints to mess with incomming ECM covered mechs? priceless.

#13 Straften

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

The sniping meta would end, and yet sniping would still be viable. I approve.

#14 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostRenegadeMaster, on 16 April 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

This seems like a decent and fascinating weapon compared to current weapons. But in the MWO universe, I am against implementing this before the vast majority of community warfare is implemented and without any other similar weapons being implemented. That is because this would introduce a fourth method of aiming, given the firing arc:
  • Point & shoot (lasers)
  • Point & lead (ballistics & SRMs)
  • Point & hold (LRMs & SSRMs)
  • Point & lob (mortars)
Not to mention different aiming for the arms and torsos. That's tougher for Devs to create and tougher for noobs to use.

Would it be just the same as fireing a LRM without a lock.

#15 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostFrostCollar, on 16 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

None fitting within the current timeline that I can find. Does not seem that many 'Mechs carried them stock in a standard variant or configuration, period.

#16 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 18 April 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

None fitting within the current timeline that I can find. Does not seem that many 'Mechs carried them stock in a standard variant or configuration, period.

It fits in the current timeline. The problem is that most Mechs don't equip them because LRM's are considered "Superior". This would be looking to older tech for a different approach.

They were developed in 2531 by the Terran Hegemony. However, by the Succession Wars, LRM's were largely more effective, especially since AMS ceased production in 2796.

Since AMS was reintroduced in 3040 Mech Mortars are being revisited as viable weapons since AMS does not shoot down incoming mortar fire.

Edited by Syllogy, 23 April 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#17 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

As stated they could be placed instead of standard LRMs. So when a pilot is able to switch from DHS to SHS or vice versa...why not from LRMs to Mortars and back.

#18 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

I for one would welcome our new high-arcing overlords.

I wish they'd make a manual indirect fire system, though. Pop up a screen with an indicator on where your shots will fall when you fire at a given angle.

You mention the mortar system's disadvantages would include being slower to reach a target than LRMs. Personally I think that the low speed is an issue with the system, and it would potentially be more of a problem in a manual system. Technically, wouldn't the time to impact with a mortar round in an indirect fire arc would increase as the target got closer, unless you could change the propellant force on the fly. From a game play and player training angle, it might be easier to have indirect shots always take a certain amount of time, rather than a variable amount. Granted, it would encourage staying well away and "sniping"; however the lower arc from the maximum range would make the shells much easier to evade with cover, and add in an interesting tactic about when to close in for the high arcing shots that aren't so easily blocked.

Side note, it would be nice to have more versatility with ballistic slots, but it may be easier to leave mortars as "missile" weapons. Then once there is a manual indirect fire system enabled, give some ballistic weapons special munitions for indirect fire.

#19 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostCritical Fumble, on 23 April 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

I for one would welcome our new high-arcing overlords.

I wish they'd make a manual indirect fire system, though. Pop up a screen with an indicator on where your shots will fall when you fire at a given angle.

Like grenade throwing or using the Torque Bow in Gears of War?

#20 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Well given how everyone really enjoyed it when LRM's came straight down into their hidey holes, these Mortars are sure to be popular after the first couple of barrages head shot a lot of those hidden Mechs. :wacko:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users