When Is The Spider Getting Fixed?

54 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyJuan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

cant begin to count how many times i've seen a spider take withering fire that should have killed it 10 times over. Its getting pretty obnoxious, because every spider pilot thinks hes some kinda mechwarrior ninja god when really its just that the mech is far far far tougher than it should be.

before anyone pipes up with oh youre just not hitting, or not keeping lasers on point long enough, ********. I just saw a spider who tried to run from a group of my teamates, my jenner is just as fast and I was under 200m distant so I was getting full damage from my 4 medium lasers. thats 20 points a cycle. the noob didnt jump, didnt turn just showed me his back, no buildings no hills no trees we were out in the water at the river delta. I put 4 lasers dead in his back probably 8 times because I run cool enough to do it in water no problem. He didnt turn at all. thats 160 pts of damage to the rear torso. Even if youre going to insist that i couldnt have been focusing it all on his rear, no spider should be able to survive that.

dunno if its just some lag ********, or if you hit a certain kph damage just stops applying but even after I worked his back that hard it and he ran afoul of 2 more heavies it took the other 2 mechs and me probably 3 more minutes of lighting him up like an xmas tree for him to die. ********, ******** ******** ********.

someone tell me the devs are aware that a spider shouldnt take more hits than an atlas to kill.

have they never played the paper game at all?

#2 Levi Strauss

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Posted Image

#3 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

I dunno, my spider seems fragile enough. And I've never had trouble with spiders not taking damage consistently. Ravens are still fairly wonky for me, but thats probably SRM spread and being biased against the abominable 3L.

#4 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Edited by Budor, 16 April 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#5 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

yeah pgi the spider is getting out of hand with its 6 macine guns

you hardly ever see jenners or ravens any more

#6 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Last night, mid air, I saw a spider get hit by a bunch of folks simultaneously, have one of its legs ripped off, and then die to a gauss round through its chest... all before it hit the ground.

I'm thinking that it's not quite as invincible as the OP suggests.

#7 CrazyJuan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Yea yea, thing Is I'm not making this up. If you haven't seen it yet, you will. Pretty hard to miss 5 mechs lighting up a spider all day and it soaking it like an assault mech...

also, its not like I made up the story of the spider who ran straight ahead directly in front of me, think he didnt know a light was in the mix and just thought he could outrun the heavies or something, I have heard a lot of contradictions, but I havent heard one explanation for what actually happened that this spider could withstand so much damage, hell I didnt even mention the pair of streak 2s my jenner carried as well.

Edited by CrazyJuan, 16 April 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostCrazyJuan, on 16 April 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Yea yea, thing Is I'm not making this up. If you haven't seen it yet, you will. Pretty hard to miss 5 mechs lighting up a spider all day and it soaking it like an assault mech...

I think you might be crazy.

#9 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostCrazyJuan, on 16 April 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

5 Mechs were missing. My Spider dies in one SRM volley from a Centurion, one good ppc hit, etc. If it was "soaking it like an assault mech" nothing was hitting it, because if it was, it'd be dead.

#10 Little Details

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSt Louis, MO, USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

sometimes wonky things happen to any mech during a game. I remember a disconnect that literally would not take any damage at all. weird stuff can happen from time to time but spiders certainly aren't invulnerable... I've seen a number of times me hit someone, see the splash damage and watch their paper show zero damage happen.

#11 CrazyJuan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostXenosphobatic, on 16 April 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

5 Mechs were missing. My Spider dies in one SRM volley from a Centurion, one good ppc hit, etc. If it was "soaking it like an assault mech" nothing was hitting it, because if it was, it'd be dead.

No, no they were not. Just like i was not missing when the kid was running in a straight line directly ahead of me and i put ML after ML after ML into his rear, its easy to sit there and say "they were missing" when you werent there to see that they were not.

gauss and ppc and srm hits are pretty damn easy tell when they hit...

i guess his backside changing color when my lasers hit it over and over was an indication of missing as well.

Edited by CrazyJuan, 16 April 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Lag and Latency can give the illusion of invincibility.

Remember that when your ping is higher or you are experiencing some packet loss, that Spider isn't really where your game shows him to be. That is why he seems invincible, in reality you aren't actually hitting him as far as the server is concerned.

#13 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostCrazyJuan, on 16 April 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

No, no they were not. Just like i was not missing when the kid was running in a straight line directly ahead of me and i put ML after ML after ML into his rear, its easy to sit there and say "they were missing" when you werent there to see that they were not.

gauss and ppc and srm hits are pretty damn easy tell when they hit...

You're right, I wasn't there.

HOWEVER, in my volume of experience, Spiders die when they are shot. They don't soak **** like a Raven.

#14 Party Animal

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Most Light Mech pilots, except for the newest Noobs, know that stopping=death. But I wonder if the program "spreads" laser damage in a way that if you are really haulin' butt, you escape the worst of the punch in the Spider model especially? Just thinking out loud, as I myself am a "noob!" And I certainly have no programming skills!
Love this game! Gotta get a joystick though.......

#15 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

He has got to be kidding, really please don't take him seriously, got to be a troll.

My mind can't accept anything else

#16 CrazyJuan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 16 April 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

Lag and Latency can give the illusion of invincibility.

Remember that when your ping is higher or you are experiencing some packet loss, that Spider isn't really where your game shows him to be. That is why he seems invincible, in reality you aren't actually hitting him as far as the server is concerned.

View PostXenosphobatic, on 16 April 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

You're right, I wasn't there.

HOWEVER, in my volume of experience, Spiders die when they are shot. They don't soak **** like a Raven.

i have a 110mb internet connection, 6mb upload, (i work for my provider) my pings are in the 20s I don't have a connection problem, and the spider I was chasing was moving in a straight line away from me, I was moving in a straight line behind him, so really server side positioning issues shouldnt have been an issue.

Just hang in there xeno, you'll come across one too, you'll have to with the times I've seen it.

View PostLordBraxton, on 16 April 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

He has got to be kidding, really please don't take him seriously, got to be a troll.

My mind can't accept anything else

Not trolling, and why lie? Its something I've seen happen all morning and I'd like an explanation.

Edited by CrazyJuan, 16 April 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#17 Wolf of the Sea

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Trust me, as someone who pilots a spider a lot. There are times you're jumpjetting around looking for enemies and you find the entire enemy team. When this happens. You usually end up losing armor in at least 1 or 2 torso sections, and quite often just die a horrible horrible death if you don't reverse directions by the time they open fire. A lot of the matches I've been playing recently in my spider, people have gotten better at aiming at us and I usually have a CT dark red by the end if I'm even still alive. I wish I had the kind of power you describe.

#18 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Indestructible Spiders... Guess that explains my excellent KDRs here:

Posted Image

Man, I wish I had some of that Unobtanium armour the OP speaks of...

Edited by stjobe, 16 April 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#19 CrazyJuan

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

just wondering, how many spider pilots replied to this opposed to pilots of other mechs?

Do all spider pilots really think people are missing that much?

#20 AdamantineViper

Rookie

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

You know I would love to be invulnerable when I run my spider... the problem is I'm not. Can't tell you how many times I've died in that mech, either being cored from range or having a leg blown off and then cored.

I also really don't get the hate for the raven 3L either, I understand that ecm and streaks are a nasty combo, but it's not invincible like everyone seems to think it is. I run a lot of different mechs and they all can be killed. Just takes tactics and teamwork, which for those who are pugging seem to be foreign terms. I do a lot of pugging myself and do my best to work with the group, but when some groups at the start of the match scatter to the four winds... well at that point it is a free for all and I generally end up in the loss column.

*steps off the soapbox*

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users