Atlas Rs & A New Player, Help?

5 replies to this topic

#1 my sticky yam sack

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Okay, I did my my cadet grind and finally got my Atlas RS!

Because it took nearly every c-bill I earned just to buy him, the only thing I've been able to afford to change, was to give him 4 large lasers, his stock AC 10, and one Streak SRM-2.

I see all these fancy builds people run, and the idea of grinding 125 matches for DHS, Gauss, ER PPC's and the like makes me feel like I'm back to playing World of Chorecraft again....

I ultimately would like to maybe just keep my single heat sinks, although I'll probably have to change that thinking soon, yeah? The original engine and non-endo also suits me fine.

My goal is to be an effective brawler with decent alpha strike perhaps, yet not a punk at medium and slightly beyond, but beastly in a scrum.

Any ideas for a brand new player on the cheapest, yet most effective way to become Mike Tyson (in his prime!) in a slugfest?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by The Neravarine, 19 April 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

4 Large is going to run too hot with SHS. You need to drop it down to three and fill the weight with more single heatsinks or additional SRM armament(not streaks). What is your cash supply and parts inventory?

Edited by Spheroid, 19 April 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#3 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

The cheapest thing you can do is just rip the LRM15 and LRM ammo out and shove in a few standard heatsinks.

AS7-RS

It would be nice to run 4LL, and you could do that. If you get an average of 100k C-bills per match. Then in 15 matches, you should have about 1.5m for double heatsinks. You will need more than that to finish basic efficiencies. Then you could do this for not much more expense

AS7-RS

I hope this helps

#4 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Get DHS. For an RS I really like 4 large, and an ultra AC5 with 2 tons of ammo. I have a 340 standard and as many DHS as will fit.

#5 n00bfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Ocean

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

If you want to stay with single heat sinks and brawl, here's what I recommend: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac408fd84dda231

Key points:
- Get an AC/20. Trust me.
- Swap the four large lasers for four medium lasers.
- Reinforce your front armor, at the expense of the rear (see link).
- I like SRM 4's for a balance of heat efficiency, damage, and tight cluster of missiles.
- Personally, I'd take a LRM out to wail on people as you close and soften them up, since you have no other LR attack capability. But don't rely on it.

This build has manageable heat even on single heat sinks. It's dirt cheap for an Atlas. And it still has a respectable alpha strike and workable DPS.

Is it optimal? No. But will it kill stuff? Yes.

#6 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Your first priority should be DHS so you can comfortably run Large Lasers. Lots of DHS + RS laserfists rips things apart. I liked to run a Gauss/STD 330 on my RS, but there are other choices you can make re: what else to put on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users