54 replies to this topic

#1 Haniwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Ok, lets see.
Im playing since the release of open beta and Im a founder. So I got 12 weeks of premium and I ususally play ~3 hours a day. I grinded a lot on the first double XP weekend, not so much on the second. Release was in Nov 2012.

Thats 6 months of playing with 3 months of premium time. Or 2886 Games

Until today I earned 97200 GXP

Id still need 42.800 more to unlock all modules released until today, and I guess with the upcoming modules, it will be another 40.000 minimum.

Thats way to long to grind. Over half a year of continuously playing, yet Im unable to unlock all modules, even with premium time half the time.

Double the GXP gain!

Edited by Haniwa, 07 May 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

The nature of f2p is to offer you two options for unlocking content: time or money.

GXP exemplifies this mechanic. You can spend time and accumulate plenty of GXP just by playing games, or you can spend MC to convert Mech XP. It is a perfectly fine f2p system.

Also, does anyone actually plan to unlock all the modules? There are plenty that I'm just never going to use, so why waste the GXP on them? Mechs have limited module slots, and there are generally going to be certain modules that are best for certain builds. The most slots currently on a mech, IIRC, is 4. If you can't unlock 4 useful modules in six months, maybe you aren't playing as much as you thought you were. If you can and have unlocked them, then you are already full up on how many you can bring along on a drop.

Modules aren't like Pokemon, there's no incentive to collect them all (though one suspects there might be an achievement to do so once CW and achievements are added in). Just cherry pick the ones you actually plan to use and don't sweat the ones you wouldn't be using in the first place.

#3 Zerikin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

You can get the important ones/ones you want. If you really want tons of GXP wait until the conversion rate is double and convert a bunch with MC. You're a founder so you should have some MC lying around.

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

Why do you think you deserve all the modules so quickly? If you're in such a hurry, you can always convert some mech XP to GXP.

#5 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

OP doesn't really understand the concept of P2W.

#6 Haniwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostZerikin, on 07 May 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

You can get the important ones/ones you want. If you really want tons of GXP wait until the conversion rate is double and convert a bunch with MC. You're a founder so you should have some MC lying around.

Yep, thats called Pay2Win.

View PostNRP, on 07 May 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

Why do you think you deserve all the modules so quickly? If you're in such a hurry, you can always convert some mech XP to GXP.

6 Months, while I already paid. Thats way to long. Without premium, I might only got 50.000GXP yet. Pay2Win
Keep in mind they will release more and more modules, so you cant earn them all through free play.

Edited by Haniwa, 07 May 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#7 zhajin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

with 50000 gxp you could max out a mechs capacity (not including consumables...). thus 6 months for "end-game" content sounds fine to me.

its sad to see how far the online gamer community has fallen. these days there is way to much give me it now, for free or i quit...

#8 Haniwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostThontor, on 07 May 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

Don't agree. You don't need all the modules, you just need 4 at most to fill the module slots. It really doesn't take that many games to get 4 modules.

Only for full effect Coolshots, you need 30.000 GXP, thats around 1000 matches played or 120hours of playing.

#9 zhajin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostHaniwa, on 07 May 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Only for full effect Coolshots, you need 30.000 GXP, thats around 1000 matches played or 120hours of playing.

coolshots for players who cant handle heat properly anyway... there are much more valuable modules for much less available.

#10 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

View Postzhajin, on 07 May 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

coolshots for players who cant handle heat properly anyway... there are much more valuable modules for much less available.

Not really.

#11 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

I disagree. Modules are nice, but not necessary by any means. "Pay2Win"? Not at all. If you don't pay any MC, you have a max of 4 Mechs right? At this point you can kit out a full mech with whatever Modules you want, essentially. Maybe you can't fully customize all 4 of them, but you can always swap modules between them. At this point if you haven't already paid, you're at the endgame.

EDIT: Missed the part about premium time. Without it you'd need another few months or about twice as much time in game. Still, a year for endgame stuff isn't bad IMHO. Heck, some MMOs I've played took a year of 8-12 hour a day grinding to reach endgame. This is nothing.

Edited by DodgerH2O, 07 May 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Meh. I often play games with no modules at all, if I can't be bothered shifting them around. Really doesn't make a huge difference.

#13 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

Free2Grind
pay2have_right_now

Those are the choices that are the nature of the non pay2win game, which this game is.
The grind for 15k GXP is roughly the same as the grind for 6300 IP to buy a League of Legends champion timewise.

#14 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

I would prefer that players spend MC to convert mech XP to GXP rather than seeing a concept like "gold ammo" introduced (the consumables are heading in that direction but aren't there yet).

Gold ammo type consumables are pay-to-win when there is not an equal free alternative that can be gained with C-bills. Speeding up a long grind is not true pay-to-win, it's pay-to-get-there-faster.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Why would you want ALL the modules? Advanced zoom is crap and cap accel promotes the wrong spirit of gameplay. Additionally airstrike and artillery are completely useless. Your profile shows you as an elite founder, which means you already paid money in and had MC available for spending. We have had two 1:50 conversion events which works out to $1.66 to convert 15,000 worth of XP to GXP. You already had the funds to accomplish this.

#16 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

I agree with Zylo. The company HAS to make money. Paints and camo are not going to keep the servers powered up and salaries paid by themselves. For players to spend money, there has to be an incentive. In this case, it is time. Want that module now? You drop some MC and convert that store of mech XP over. Otherwise, keep working at it.

This system is MUCH better than any golden-ammo system. Plus, you still just cannot flat out buy one of the modules. You have to have a stash of mech XP on a chassis to convert over. Like the 170,000 or so I had on my Atlas D that I cashed in during the conversion sale a few weeks ago.

Dropping all the entitled-to-something-for-free BS and accepting that the game has to be profitable; the current GXP system is pretty fair all things considered. The modules are nice, by and large. But not win buttons by ANY means. They largely give subtle edges that take skilled pilots to really get use out of. Like using the extra sensor range. Or the 25% faster target ID.

Pay to Win is when they sell a module for 10,000 MC that gives a 25% damage boost to PPCs.

#17 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

exchange XP for GXP when there is a sale. I've got 200,000 GXP. well worth it on sale to do this and avoid the grind.

#18 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

I don't run modules on most of my mechs either, and don't have much problem. They offer some interesting bonuses, but mostly I don't see huge difference with or without them. I would hardly call that pay to win.

Not to mention that as long as you can obtain them through regular playtime, it's not play to win. A slow grind for unlocks doesn't make something P2W.

#19 Halconnen

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Who cares about trololo-grind for modules? I´d like to see Mech bays available for C-Bills. That´s a real drawback right now - you waste half of your C-Bills invested in a Mech even if you just need a slot to try a new one - or want to master a chassis.

#20 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

You have double posted this here and in Game Balance also. No offence but i'm going to report the post to be merged somewhere.

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users