Advanced Combat Tactics/mech Weaknesses

1 reply to this topic

#1 Geo Tiogah

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

First I would like to clarify for the sticklers; Strategy is concerning your overall plan. Tactics references how you carry out your plans.

Now with that out of the way, I would like to open up discussion on the various tactics you players use as well as what sort of weaknesses or vulnerabilities you may have found in individual mechs.

Please state which weight class your tactics are to be used with and any specific loadout you might need for your methods to be at their most effective.

I will start.

I prefer to use light mech, mainly due to the mistake forgiveness granted by their high mobility. I normally run a Commando, 4x ML. STD ENG 195. Armor maxed. Due to the recent buffs to PPCs and Gauss Rifles my world has become a very dangerous place. To counter this I have found that after I have performed my obligatory scouting duties, I will use local terrain to play a complex game of whack-a-mole. Moving along a ridge and walktarting while I wait for the initial posturing to end and the real fight to come.

Once the real fight gets underway, I use the chaos to my advantage. I look for a mech that is distraced and pound any vulnerabilities I know of using chainfire. (I rarely alpha strike as it is a very high risk practice)

I also make sure that I try to damage every mech atleast a little to get the c-bill bonus for the assist.

Now here are some of the weaknesses I have found. Please add to them.

The Cicada is fast and heavily armored around it's torso partly because instead of arms it has armor plates protecting its flanks. Though a little difficult to hit, its legs are very weak and easily destroyed with a few well placed shots.

Next is the Hunchback. I have noticed that 90% of its weapon hard points are on its right side. If one were to destroy its right torso (left torso from our perspective) the Hunchback will be left with only a single hard point on its left arm, effectively neutalizing it.

The atlas is a tough cookie, but it's lack of mobility is its weakness. When confronted by an Atlas I generally back off until I'm out of view. I then powerdown to shake any radar lock, then circle around behind the atlas. Due to his slow movement and weak rear armor, I can drop an Atlas (especiall if it is distracted) in about 10 sec by nonstop chainfiring into its back.

The Commando is fast but its arms and legs are poorly armored. Focus on his legs and you rob him of speed. Focus on his arms and he will become a fast popsicle stick as all of its hardpoints are generally found only in its arms.

So far these are the weaknesses I've found. But then I have been playing MWO for only a week and a half.

Please help me add to the list. Feel free to discuss your favorite weight class and Mech and how you use them!

I have also just learned that the Cataphract has similar vulnerabilities as the Hunchbak. Kill his right torso you get rid of 4 out of 6 of his hardpoints.

#2 Nexus Omega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

A fun game!

Ok here goes,

Jenner:
The Jenner has a large center torso hit box, it can be hit from the side's without difficulty, always aim for centre mass on a Jenner,

Raven:
The Raven Torso hit boxes are a bit Squirlley, you will likely spread damage across all 3 sections, ALWAYS Aim for the legs, a legged raven is a dead raven,

Hunchback:
In addition to the OP, the Hunchback's Hunch can be hit from behind, aim at the upper right area, this will damage the front right torso Armour,

Centurion:
A well piloted Centurion is a Tank, it has 2 shield arms, and 2 Large side torso's to take damage. Shoot out their Legs.

Catapult:
This mech has a large cockpit and is easy to headshot, Aim for the Center Window, If it is an A1, (6xS/SRM) shoot its arms off, they only have 40 points or Armour.

Cataphact:
In addition to the OP suggestion,
Ballistic heavy Phacts, (Murments and the 4x) carry ammo in their legs most of the time, along with an XL engine, Shoot off a leg for an Ammo Explosion, this should heavily damage a side torso, or outright kill the Mech.

Jager:
Shoot one of the Side torso's, they have about half the Armour of the Centre, and plenty of Jagers run XL engines.

Dragon:
Bulbous Easy to hit Center Torso, can be hit from the side, like the Jenner, Core the sucker.

Stalker:
The Stalker has large Side Torso's when attacked from the side, this is an easy target for knocking out half their weapons,
Alternative shooting it in the Crotch will damage the Center Torso, you can target this when you are to the Stalkers Front Left or Right,

Atlas:
No good Atlas pilot runs an XL, Do not shoot its arms, they are heavily armored, a good pilot will torso twist to spread damage, like the Centurion,
Most Atlas Pilots will strip Armour from there legs to get extra tonnage, Shoot there Legs! additionally, the legs can be shot from any angle, so no wasted shots hitting the arms,

Awesome:
The Default Armour is 60 front and 40 back, don't bother hitting an awesome from behind, shoot the right or left Torso, to get at the Tasty XL inside.

Highlander:
If it is running energy/Ballistic, shoot his right torso,
If it is missile heavy shoot his left torso
This should knock out most of their weapons.

If an enemy mech powers down, and you can cause about 40 damage, aim for the cockpit!

That's everything I can think of ATM,

Left Means the Targets Left Side, not Your Left! ----->
Right Mean the Targets Right Side, Not Your Right! <-----

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users