To Anyone Who Doubts 'poptarts' Are An Issue

150 replies to this topic

#21 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

I should point out that Klaus was not running with a group of Hell's Ponies members. There was no setting up this match.

Hawkwings and Crunch are both members of ELP for example and they appear to be in a group of 2. I'm not sure about the rest of the team, maybe it's 5 randoms or another group + lone wolf.

#22 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

There's a counter for everything. If there's poptart snipers, you flank and flush them out, as you probably would have done in MW4.

I highly doubt you can get away with poptarting on every map, as there's this thing called cover.

Edited by August55, 17 April 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#23 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostKlaus, on 17 April 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

[media] BUT PLAYING LIKE THIS ISN'T FUN.

This this THIS.

Sure, each and every one of us can buy a trebuchet or a highlander, or a stalker or a cataphract, but guess what? When literally 90% of the player base is using the same weaponry, the game became stale, very VERY quickly.

PGI absolutely had to have seen this coming, I mean, they are the ones making the changes to the game. They cannot be that blind. Outside of 8 mans, there are no brawls happening. There is no skirmishing or hit and run. It's only which team has the most guass/ppc/erppc's. That's it. It. Just. Isn't. Fun.

I understand completely that this is still a Beta, but these huge, sweeping "balance" changes that go from one end of the spectrum to the other truly worry me about the future of this game.

Edited by Dreamslave, 17 April 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#24 Wildman13

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 92 posts
  • Locationseabrook, tx

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

I was top man today in a PUG running my Yen Lo Wang, which has 1 AC/20 and an ER LL. I have no jump jets. I adapted to the situation on Tourmaline and ended up as top scorer, and I truly suck.

In other words, stop whining.

#25 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

I am shocked, shocked, to see lots of people piloting the robot that came out yesterday. Fix your game, PGI.

#26 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 17 April 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

... and Mechwarrior 4 sucked. I think it is too soon to overreact but the weapon changes done to mediums/smalls/pulses need to be rolled back and the speed caps on all mechs need to be removed.

Follow that up with no weapon convergence for torso weapons (or fixed convergence) and we have win.

Actually it did not..My opinion anyways.The Dev team could learn a lot from the older MW Titles especially on allowing User Made Maps

#27 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostDreamslave, on 17 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

This this THIS.

Sure, each and every one of us can buy a trebuchet or a highlander, or a stalker or a cataphract, but guess what? When literally 90% of the player base is using the same weaponry, the game became stale, very VERY quickly.

PGI absolutely had to have seen this coming, I mean, they are the ones making the changes to the game. They cannot be that blind. Outside of 8 mans, there are no brawls happening. There is no skirmishing or hit and run. It's only which team has the most guass/ppc/erppc's. That's it. It. Just. Isn't. Fun.

I understand completely that this is still a Beta, but these huge, sweeping "balance" changes that go from one end of the spectrum to the other truly worry me about the future of this game.

This is pretty much it. It's not really that the game is unplayable, it's just that this playstyle isn't fun and using something different than the current dominant builds makes the game feel unplayable at times.

It's no different than everyone running LRMs because they are way OP due to the splash damage issue in a past patch.

#28 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostDreamslave, on 17 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

This this THIS.

Maybe we can ask PGI to only have unpopular mechs so no one will be interested when they are released? :)

#29 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostAugust55, on 17 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

There's a counter for everything. If there's poptart snipers, you flank and flush them out, as you probably would have done in MW4.

I highly doubt you can get away with poptarting on every map, as there's this thing called cover.

I would like to see a video of you proving this works as good as you say in a small-group/solo match filmed from your cockpit. If you don't have the software, download MSI afterburner HERE. It's a free program and you can upload the vid to youtube. In 8-man drops, sure, you have the entire team that can work with you. Put up some evidence, I want to see you back up your claims.

Edited by Zylo, 17 April 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#30 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

We see this every patch that introduces something new... in this case the highlander with jumpjets. People freak out because "everybody" is doing something... give it time it will settle down.

Every tactic has a counter-tactic.

Edited by StandingCow, 17 April 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#31 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Pop-tarting is nothing but a slightly more effective version over every other mechs use of cover, which is generally to walk out from behind it, take a shot, and back up again, until there's an opening to move in. It's more effective because getting back into cover happens a little faster. It's a lot less effective in other ways, because the mech designed to do it aren't worth crap unless the enemy cooperates, putting themselves in a position to get punished by it.

If you don't see this EVERY game then I don't know what to tell you, because I sure do. Maybe your elo is in the dumpster, maybe you're just lucky.

See it? Sure. Annoyed by it? Sometimes. Worried about it? No. Why? Maybe your Elo is in the toilet, but where I play people know how to flank, or use suppressive fire to keep their heads down, or any number of other ways to close with mechs that have decent alphas, but no way to keep up the sustained fire necessary for fighting at short range.

It's one tactic among many. Just because it's a problem for you doesn't make it a problem with the game.

#32 Rocketlaunch

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

How to counter that: Use your lights to cap the base, OR use lrms to reach over the ship and touch them.

#33 Klaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 17 April 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

It's one tactic among many. Just because it's a problem for you doesn't make it a problem with the game.

Again, I never said it was a problem for me. I'm saying it's unbalance.

Please don't post unless you're going to read.

#34 Wildman13

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 92 posts
  • Locationseabrook, tx

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

[Redacted]

Everybody riding the bandwagon of the current "ideal" mech has been happening since closed beta. I assure you I read every pitiful post in this thread prior to making my post.

Most players min/max. It's neither novel nor new. I've seen it over and over. Join them, or adapt and wait for the next fad to come along.

Crying on the forums has never had any positive effect other than making the crying OP feel like they're making the game better.

Edited by Egomane, 18 April 2013 - 01:17 AM.
Removed quote

#35 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostRocketlaunch, on 17 April 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

How to counter that: Use your lights to cap the base, OR use lrms to reach over the ship and touch them.

Brilliant plan when matchmaker gives both teams lots of jump snipers and few players will run LRM builds or lights because of the jump sniper issues. *HINT* This film was done in a small-group/solo match. This was not in the 8-man matches where a team has control over every mech that ends up on the team.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostKlaus, on 17 April 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Well, I'm sick of seeing someone who's name is silly and probably plays 3 games each weekend who is going to tell me that they 'destroy everyone' in their founders Hunchback or Jenner.

That just ain't happenin' right now sorry.

I been running 8 mans with HARD, playing against some pretty good units, and while I agree Poptarting is rampant AND boring, I disagree that brawling is dead. We still use cover and misdirection regularly to flank Poptards. Those who are really any good adapt, and sometimes it goes poorly for us, other times, we hit their flanks and roll over them. TRULY good, high ELO pilots tend to be unpredictable, not PPC Pogosticks.

#37 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 April 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

I been running 8 mans with HARD, playing against some pretty good units, and while I agree Poptarting is rampant AND boring, I disagree that brawling is dead. We still use cover and misdirection regularly to flank Poptards. Those who are really any good adapt, and sometimes it goes poorly for us, other times, we hit their flanks and roll over them. TRULY good, high ELO pilots tend to be unpredictable, not PPC Pogosticks.

That's the difference though, 8-man teams get the advantage of selecting every mech. Your typical pug player can't do anything about what ends up on their team so they are forced to join the poptarting just to compete which makes the problem even worse. There is a good chance this problem could chase off even more players than the lack of weight class matching

Edited by Zylo, 17 April 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#38 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Was getting pretty mad earlier about only seeing yeah well anyway.. I took my mind off it for a bit 'n really it boils down to adapting to the meta-game, It's important to have multiple mechs if you want to have fun and also make C-Bills. The other things that are grinding my gears I have no control over (patience) so I may as well forget about it for now.. must, get.. away from general forums.. negative rant snowball effect.

#39 OneManWar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

There will always be min-maxers. ALWAYS. In ANY online game. Me on the other hand, I enjoy varied weaponry. I'm running my 733C like a big Thor, AC/20, ERPPC and an LRM15. I like varied tactics.

#40 DreadDjinn

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

If you don't see this EVERY game then I don't know what to tell you, because I sure do. Maybe your elo is in the dumpster, maybe you're just lucky. But I'm sick of it. Every single person is a PPC sniper or using some kind of direct fire long range weapon.

This 'fad' as some of you would like to think it is has been a slow build up over every patch and now we just have sniper warrior online. There is no such thing as brawling, there is no such thing as lights. Snipers invalidates everything other than other snipers.

Think back... Raven hit boxes changed, missiles nerfed into the toilet bowl, and now HSR. While long range direct fire weapons were slowly buffed.

Also don't waste anyone's time with immature 'just adapt' comments. I have my Highlanders close to mastered now. I can play the game and win just like before the patch. BUT PLAYING LIKE THIS ISN'T FUN. This isn't how the game should be! It's turning into Mechwarrior 4...

PGI do something!

"If you don't see this EVERY game then I don't know what to tell you, because I sure do. Maybe your elo is in the dumpster, maybe you're just lucky. But I'm sick of it. Every single person is a PPC sniper or using some kind of direct fire long range weapon."

Of course it's going to seem that way. "Long range direct fire weapons" are like a sizable chunk of all available weapons: PPC, ERPPC, ERLLAS, GAUSS, AC2, AC5, UAC5. They also will be the first weapons shooting at you.

"This 'fad' as some of you would like to think it is has been a slow build up over every patch and now we just have sniper warrior online. There is no such thing as brawling, there is no such thing as lights. Snipers invalidates everything other than other snipers."

This does not invalidate lights. Lights still tear **** up in groups. They out maneuver the snipers. The lack of brawlers is a legitimate concern, but I think of that more as a function of the maps than the weapons. Harder-to-navigate terrain would bring brawling back since there is more cover to close distance.

"
Also don't waste anyone's time with immature 'just adapt' comments. I have my Highlanders close to mastered now. I can play the game and win just like before the patch. BUT PLAYING LIKE THIS ISN'T FUN. This isn't how the game should be! It's turning into Mechwarrior 4..."

Excuse me for being snide about this but you were kinda asking for it...

You want this game to be tailored to what is 'fun' for you? Sheesh. I'm fine with a slower-paced, more tactical game. I don't want Quake disguised as a MW game. Out-maneuver your opponents. Use cover and concealment. These are fun. I like chess, not checkers. Poptarting is just good tactical sense to provide minimal profile. But they can't see you from behind cover either.

97 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 97 guests, 0 anonymous users