Matchmaking Phase 4 Follow-Up - Feedback

277 replies to this topic

#261 Reyalis

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

This **** makes my head hurt lol. I just want good, fun, competitive matches that aren't curbstomps. Even if it ends in a loss. Not matches like I had last night. Was in a pre-made with my buddy (Just the two of us) and dropped with 6 PUGS. During the match we could tell there was a pretty heavy skew against us in weight but we were trying to adjust. Trying to get our 2 on 1's or even 3 on 1's to knock their numbers down. However they were playing really smart as well. Sticking together in groups. Which makes me think they were either premade (I think at least one lance was) or their skill level was higher than ours. Now I'm not an ace mech pilot by any means ... but I'm no slouch either. I had been trending up from a .93 K/D ratio to a .97. Was really looking forward to breaking that 1.0 threshold. But over the last few weeks it's been horrific. Loss after loss after loss (with deaths usually almost every match) to where I'm now back down to a .94 .... and the match last night was pathetic. Enemy team combined weight total 685 tons vs our team of 515 tons. A gross mis match by any estimation. 6 Assaults vs only 2 on our team made for a very quick and painful end to the game. We worked together as much as we could trying to focus fire but our lights and mediums just couldn't hurt their assaults enough to make a dent. Well ... we killed two of their damn assaults ... but the other 6 mechs (of which 4 were still assaults) made short work of us after that. They also worked together BETTER than we did. So all in all ... not a fun match in the slightest. Me and my buddy did our fair share of the work (500 damage for me in my K2 & 522 for him .. in a cicada!) There were three other guys that contributed on our team but we had 3 that just didn't do much at all or died really quickly against the onslaught. Whereas the other team had contributors across the board except for one. Weight balancing may not be MORE important than ELO matchmaking ... but it is AS important. Thanks for letting me rant ... I love this game ... and I'm sticking with it despite rough games like last night. Keep it up PGI ... love all the hard work and look forward to a very polished game in the future that I can play for years. Screenie from the battle is attached.Posted Image

Edited by Laurenti, 21 July 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#262 Zongoose

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

It can be very frustrating when dropping against a team that appears to be more skilled AND has a large weight advantage. Can the match maker be tweaked so that if the weight can't be matched the team with the higher ELO is the one at a disadvantage?

#263 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostZongoose, on 23 July 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

It can be very frustrating when dropping against a team that appears to be more skilled AND has a large weight advantage. Can the match maker be tweaked so that if the weight can't be matched the team with the higher ELO is the one at a disadvantage?

I am actually almost 100% convinced that this is one of the biggest problems with the matchmaker... you know that whole "if it cant find a match in 2 minutes, it just gives up and throws @$@ together" part of the matchmaker?

Well, what happens when a premade of 4D-DCs drops?

Far to often, I think it puts the match maker into go stupid mode, leading to one side in assault mechs and the other... well, in whatever. Oh, with the joy of having a premade on one side as well.

#264 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Today that pre made of 4 Atlas gt rolled by a better, ligher team.

Me, I was working with the 4 Atlas cause a victor should have a chance of not being shot with that much macho running around.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 July 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#265 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 July 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

Today that pre made of 4 Atlas gt rolled by a better, ligher team.

Me, I was working with the 4 Atlas cause a victor should have a chance of not being shot with that much macho running around.

But generally you end up with a "Team" vs PUGs... and with the way Elo seems to often work out, one or two high ELO players, a couple average and four paint sniffers that havent figured out how to walk yet. Especially when the match maker has given up any semblance of trying.

#266 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Seems to me, more often than not, it's (usually) one, and sometimes two 2-4 man groups per team ... you can definitely tell the difference between a well-coordinated group and a scattering of randoms.

I am sincerely hoping that PGI figures out a way to come closer to weight matching, if not weight limits, for random matches.

It won't solve the problem of new players dropping with experienced players ... only a flatter Elo curve and a much broader player base will do that.

#267 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

What would happen if the weight limit was such that the difference could only be like 10% regardless of the number requires to fill in the teams?

So, as ELO starts filling in the gaps on one side or the other, if the weight starts to get beyond 10%, the side with the higher weight won't get any more players until the weight differences is back in line.

This could cause some 8 vs 7 or 7 vs 5 matches.

Why do we always have to have 8 vs. 8 all of the time?

#268 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostAphoticus, on 25 July 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

This could cause some 8 vs 7 or 7 vs 5 matches.

Why do we always have to have 8 vs. 8 all of the time?

It can be 7 vs 7, 6 vs 6 etc., but not 8 vs 7, 7 vs 6 and such.

#269 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Heavier teams are not necessarily better than lighter teams:

Posted Image

#270 Tauwolf

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I think there's an awful lot of "oh you can really tell when you're up against a team", when in reality you can't. My 100% PUGs have often been accused of being a team. A decent scout and some heads up play seem to equal "unfair team advantage" with this community.....

#271 Hekalite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I don't know what you guys changed in the last patch with the matchmaker, but it is absolutely horrible right now. I can't get a good match to save my life. Only maybe 1 in 10 matches seem even remotely fair and even fewer matches are actually fun. I thought it was pretty good last patch, but the last couple of days make me want to scream. I kept expecting the losing streak to level off, but it just keeps on getting worse. I went from having a pretty good time playing the game to wanting to rage quit. Please look at your metrics and make some sort of adjustment asap!

#272 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Soooo,, Now 12 v 12 has gone live how is this affecting Elo?

I know it was first night and all but it feels very broken right now, with new players and vets mixing it up for some rather uneven fights. Now i'm a fan of 12 v 12 and I like having a huge amount of mechs on the map at once and it may have been first night enthusiasm that's pitted so many players of varying skill together, but it does feel that some kind of <un>balancing was going on.

#273 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Here is my personal follow up:

Posted Image

Ultra-high elo game,

10/12 assaults, lol!

#274 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

Even though we get more cBills from Assists, this does not reflect skill. Anyone in a Jenner with 6 ML can sweep the masses.

Real skill should be decided on damage to kill ratios (less damage, more kills, equals greater skill); however, this needs to be inclusive of the percentage that the damaged 'Mech is at when calculating.

Kill Stealing would askew the numbers if the above concept does not take into account the amount of damage you do to get the kill in conjunction to the total % ratio of the armor on the 'Mech in the location that is concentrated on.

There is also the Armor Mitigation Skill. How well you avoid Damage (piloting Skills).

Also, how well can you Scout (using all of the tools?).

If we are going to have a proper bracketed concept based on skill, the following areas need to hashed out to determine how well someone is in these categories (coupled with Tonnage Limits).

1.) Role Warfare (Use of Tools that can be quantified)
2.) How Well You Mitigate Damage (Pilot Skills/Evasion)
3.) How well you Aim (Get the Kill, Less Damage to do so, Concentrated Strike reducing Percentage of Armor in a Specific Area).
4.) Wins/Loss

If each of these area had a value, and they were then averaged and or considered individually to make up a Battle/Skill Value, then when the match maker attempts to match up players, the following is taken into account.

1.) Tonnage Limits
2.) Battle/Skill Level

This is my take on it, anyways.

#275 Boris The Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostAphoticus, on 08 August 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

Even though we get more cBills from Assists, this does not reflect skill. Anyone in a Jenner with 6 ML can sweep the masses.

Real skill should be decided on damage to kill ratios (less damage, more kills, equals greater skill); however, this needs to be inclusive of the percentage that the damaged 'Mech is at when calculating.

Kill Stealing would askew the numbers if the above concept does not take into account the amount of damage you do to get the kill in conjunction to the total % ratio of the armor on the 'Mech in the location that is concentrated on.

Right, so I blow the L&R torsi off an Atlas or Stalker then move onto a real target, the guy who follows the stick round pew pewing it the back is the one with the skill. Don't think so. There is no such thing as kill stealing, its called focus fire and whoever deals the killing blow is just down to luck most of the time so there is no point worrying about your kills, it shows absolutley nothing about your quality as a player.

#276 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

Here's my follow-up
Posted Image

#277 Glxy Cmdr Jason Tseng

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Didnt get a screen shot of my last match, but I was the only assault on my team. And before I died I saw 1 atlas, 1 victor, 1 battlemaster and 1 trial stalker. So that is AT LEAST 250 tons of assaults, plus what ever else they had, vs 90 tons of Assault on my team and the heavies-lights that were interspersed.

I am not one to usually complain, but this seems like a broken system.

#278 Khan Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

View PostGlxy Cmdt Jason Tseng, on 20 February 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

Didnt get a screen shot of my last match, but I was the only assault on my team. And before I died I saw 1 atlas, 1 victor, 1 battlemaster and 1 trial stalker. So that is AT LEAST 250 tons of assaults, plus what ever else they had, vs 90 tons of Assault on my team and the heavies-lights that were interspersed.

I am not one to usually complain, but this seems like a broken system.

You can't honestly say you're surprised can you? It would be far more shocking to have a properly working product delivered on time. This game may have been "launched" but in reality it is very much still in a Beta state. Broken? YA THINK MAYBE?! HOW ABOUT MOST CERTAINLY! You know it's true Jason.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users