283 replies to this topic

#241 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

I believe that slow lights (like the Raven-4X) used in certain situations can be used well. However, it requires exceptional skills to do it with. These builds are generally not for newbies.

Think of it this way...

Say you wanted to snipe with a Gauss Rifle in a Spider-5K. If you were in "sniping" with a K2 or an Atlas, it is not that hard to "counter snipe" such a huge target. For a Gauss Rifle Spider, this is significantly harder. Sure the Spider is slower than a normal light mech, but trying to "counter snipe" a Spider is much harder. It has a SMALLER PROFILE @ long range.. plus it has the ability to accelerate and move FAR GREATER than the equivalent heavy/assault mech. You don't need great speed.. just enough "agility" to get out of the way.

Again... a Gauss Rifle Spider is not practical, but doable for those that KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING in the CORRECT SITUATIONS.

Edited by Deathlike, 01 May 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#242 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I believe that slow lights (like the Raven-4X) used in certain situations can be used well. However, it requires exceptional skills to do it with. These builds are generally not for newbies.

Think of it this way...

Say you wanted to snipe with a Gauss Rifle in a Spider-5K. If you were in "sniping" with a K2 or an Atlas, it is not that hard to "counter snipe" such a huge target. For a Gauss Rifle Spider, this is significantly harder. Sure the Spider is slower than a normal light mech, but trying to "counter snipe" a Spider is much harder. It has a SMALLER PROFILE @ long range.. plus it has the ability to accelerate and move FAR GREATER than the equivalent heavy/assault mech. You don't need great speed.. just enough "agility" to get out of the way.

Again... a Gauss Rifle Spider is not practical, but doable for those that KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING in the CORRECT SITUATIONS.

What I've been trying to say. Just because it isn't the most practical doesn't mean that it can't work. It all depends upon how it is used, who uses it, the situation, and what the mech is being designed to do.

What the rest of you guys are doing is the same as telling me my 2 LRM5, 5 med laser Hunchback can't work because 10 LRM tubes don't do enough damage compared to SRMs... or my Stalker is trash just because it still has single heat sinks. People need to understand what works for one person might not work for someone else.

#243 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostTesunie, on 01 May 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

What the rest of you guys are doing is the same as telling me my 2 LRM5, 5 med laser Hunchback can't work because 10 LRM tubes don't do enough damage compared to SRMs... or my Stalker is trash just because it still has single heat sinks. People need to understand what works for one person might not work for someone else.

Your Stalker would work even better for you with DHS more likely than not, unless you somehow play better when your heat cap and dissipation are super low with the same weapons loadout.

#244 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 May 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Your Stalker would work even better for you with DHS more likely than not, unless you somehow play better when your heat cap and dissipation are super low with the same weapons loadout.

Okay. Sure. I won't deny that. However, I already did the math on this. I could upgrade my heart sinks to double, paying the C-bills to do so, gain a 0.04 better heat efficient (in game mechlab), save on weight at the expense of crit space, and be able to spend more C-bills upgrading my engine to a larger since size that I really don't need. Don't know about you, but personally, I'd rather keep an already effective build as is, save the c-bills for other things such as buying new mechs to check out and have fun with, and leave this unchanged on a build that already typically scores on the top of most matches I play in (team permitting). Maybe even have larger LRM launchers, which might be more helpful, it just a waste.

Trust me, I've already had this discussion with some other forum goers. Yes, it can be upgraded to perform slightly better, but at this time I do not feel the need, nor with to spend the c-bills on my Stalker. Maybe in the future I might, for now I really like the feel of how it runs.

Once more, it's all based on personal preference, intended mech role, and pilot capabilities. What works for one person might not work for another. What one person finds fun, another might not. One man's treasure, another man's trash.

I've actually been thinking of rebuying the Spiders again, and setting up the 5k as a jumping Hollander just to see how it would run. If I could get 150 to 200 damage, I think I'd be impressed. I think that would be a good contribution to the team. I also might remake my PPC and TAG spider again...

#245 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Your logic probably would be like other people, where I've been told my gauss cicada should have double heat sinks because they would be more efficient, even though I well never overheat with just standard heat sinks. Yes, people have told me that, calling me an ***** for not spending the c-bills to upgrade to doubles.

#246 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostTesunie, on 01 May 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Okay. Sure. I won't deny that. However, I already did the math on this. I could upgrade my heart sinks to double, paying the C-bills to do so, gain a 0.04 better heat efficient (in game mechlab), save on weight at the expense of crit space, and be able to spend more C-bills upgrading my engine to a larger since size that I really don't need. Don't know about you, but personally, I'd rather keep an already effective build as is, save the c-bills for other things such as buying new mechs to check out and have fun with, and leave this unchanged on a build that already typically scores on the top of most matches I play in (team permitting). Maybe even have larger LRM launchers, which might be more helpful, it just a waste.

Trust me, I've already had this discussion with some other forum goers. Yes, it can be upgraded to perform slightly better, but at this time I do not feel the need, nor with to spend the c-bills on my Stalker. Maybe in the future I might, for now I really like the feel of how it runs.

DHS don't just speed up cooling, they also increase the overall heat cap by 2 per truedub and 1.4 per poordub (I don't think the mechlab factors this in to efficiency?). That means you get to shoot a lot more times in a row before having to stop to dissipate. Most of the benefit from DHS also comes from the truedubs in the engine, which don't take up any more crit space than the SHS in there. Engine-slotted poordubs are only 1.4, but they won't take up any crits if the engine is big enough to slot them in.

Spacebucks are easy to farm, especially more so since savior kills got added and can be gotten without any conscious effort while giving a massive payout. My own average C-Bill per match is just over 98,000 as a light mech, so that means I would need to play 16 matches to get enough cash for dubs if my performance doesn't tank. That can be done in less than two hours assuming that most of the matches are nice and short like they normally are (i.e. about 5 minutes).

View PostTesunie, on 01 May 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Once more, it's all based on personal preference, intended mech role, and pilot capabilities. What works for one person might not work for another. What one person finds fun, another might not. One man's treasure, another man's trash.

DHS don't change intended mech roles other than changing from "kills things" to "kills things better" (can exclude very rare builds like Streakmandos, quad LL/PPC Atlai, and Gaussboats) and having a lower heat cap (and dissipation, even the latter is only improved by a small increment on this specific mech) is a strange preference. That would be like preferring FF over Endo Steel (when crits are insufficient to have both) or preferring to not unlock any pilot tree stat buffs.

View PostTesunie, on 01 May 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

Your logic probably would be like other people, where I've been told my gauss cicada should have double heat sinks because they would be more efficient, even though I well never overheat with just standard heat sinks. Yes, people have told me that, calling me an ***** for not spending the c-bills to upgrade to doubles.

Your Stalker probably doesn't have Gauss and instead relies on lasers and/or missiles, which generate a lot more heat than Gauss...

Edited by FupDup, 02 May 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#247 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostFupDup, on 02 May 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

DHS don't just speed up cooling, they also increase the overall heat cap by 2 per truedub and 1.4 per poordub (I don't think the mechlab factors this in?). That means you get to shoot a lot more times in a row before having to stop to dissipate. Most of the benefit from DHS also comes from the truedubs in the engine, which don't take up any more crit space than the SHS in there. Engine-slotted poordubs are only 1.4, but they won't take up any crits if the engine is big enough to slot them in.

Spacebucks are easy to farm, especially more so since savior kills got added and can be gotten without any conscious effort while giving a massive payout. My own average C-Bill per match is just over 98,000 as a light mech, so that means I would need to play 16 matches to get enough cash for dubs if my performance doesn't tank. That can be done in less than two hours assuming that most of the matches are nice and short like they normally are (i.e. about 5 minutes).

DHS don't change intended mech roles other than changing from "kills things" to "kills things better" (can exclude very rare builds like Streakmandos, quad LL/PPC Atlai, and Gaussboats) and having a lower heat cap (and dissipation, even the latter is only improved by a small increment on this specific mech) is a strange preference. That would be like preferring FF over Endo Steel (when crits are insufficient to have both) or preferring to not unlock any pilot tree stat buffs.

Your Stalker probably doesn't have Gauss and instead relies on lasers and/or missiles, which generate a lot more heat than Gauss...

My Stalker has 6 med lasers and a total of 20 LRM tubes. I rarely overheat in it unless someone is at prime damage range. I do understand how DHS work, but they aren't cheap. Upgrading my Stalker to DHS would be, what did you say, about 16 matches? That would mean 16 more matches before I could buy my next Jagermech. Not to mention I have about 30ish heat sinks on it right now. As I stated before, DHS could improve my build, but it isn't needed to make it effective. I do not wish to spend my c-bills on that right now. I may never upgrade It though at the same time. Don't know. Right now, my Stalker feels right when I play it, and to me that's all that matters. What's most effective isn't as important as having a mech that feels right and a mech I have fun playing.

The rest of your responses was directed at my responses to the "Show me a Spider 5k build that is decent and playable" crowd. They really had nothing else to do with DHS vs SHS, besides the mention at how I've been informed that I must have DHS even on a gauss build. I merely wish to point out that mech and their customs are all based on intended role, personal preference, and who/how its played. A Jagermech with dual AC20 can be just as effective as one with dual gauss, or 4 AC5s, or 2 AC2s and 2 UAC5s. It's all in how it's played and what you want it to do.

Basically, it's the fact that you don't make a sniper mech with AC20s, or a brawler with gauss rifles.

#248 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Are c-bills that much of a problem these days to not want DHS? I've yet to update my long overdue guide for newbies... and the thing is that DHS despite being a c-bill sink has always been the upgrade that makes a serious difference. I'm sure it isn't really needed for your builds, but I wouldn't be recommending that unless "you know what you are doing".

#249 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Well, my Stalker was made back when I thought/was told that internal sinks did 1.4 like external. Did the math back then and SHS was better for my heavier mechs. Later, after buying new engine and working on a different mech chassis, I found out internal sinks are 2.0 for doubles. This changed the math of course, making it better to have DHS for cooling, but heat cap was lower due to less individual sinks. Then I found out that doubles increase heat cap by the same amount as their cooling efficiency, making it from a "mah, kinda could be worth it" to a "yeah, that's worth it". But, I already made it with singles, and it's still an effective mech with singles.

Basically, my SHS Stalker is a remnant that I still pay from time to time but don't feel like changing. I also don't get much time to play this game as I'd like, so c-bills don't come that quick for me when all I can get into are about 5-20 matches a week. I just feel it's still effective and not worth me having to spend c-bills to upgrade a mech that tends to hold near the top slot of most matches played, as well as has my best individual mech stats out of all my mechs. (I'm also kinda hoping that they place some form of R&R back into the game again, where my standard engine and SHS might give me an edge outside of matches. And yes, I do agree that the old R&R system needed some tweaking, but I thought the idea behind it was good. If they adjusted it and removed the free ammo and repair of whatever percentage and made it so you couldn't have a bill higher than what you made in a match, I think it might have been better. Personal opinion of course.)

You can also call me a bit of a lore person, so I don't always like having everything with XL and DHS (though besides my one Stalker and one Cicada (Hollander 2), all my other mechs have DHS).

#250 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Show me that Stalker build. Cooler means more attacking, more attacking means more damage, more damage is more money, forever. I mean its just better if you upgrade it. 1.5 mil is nothing, even a day of playing, to make your mech......... 20% cooler (had to say it)? Worth it.

#251 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

I've gone down this road before. I know what it could improve. You also forget, it's not just 1.5 million for this upgrade, but also the cost of each additional sink after that. Oh, and seen as I've done this upgrade for my 4 PPC Stalker, it doesn't get me that much extra heat control. It takes a lot of crits from my mech, which leaves me with only being able to upgrade my engine, another how many c-bill cost extra now? Or upgrading 2 LRM5s for 2 LRM10s, making my LRM count go to 30 instead of 20 total.

Even with SHS, I find I have plenty of heat capacity and cooling to take on an Atlas, melt him, and continue on to a second target before I need to really worry about overheating (though personally, I'd rather I didn't take on an Atlas on my own and would hope to have some friends around to help).

Anyway, I'll just restate that some mechs work for some, but might not work for others, which was more of my specific point with the Spider 5k and cicada 3c. Wasn't trying to get this to be about my Stalker or SHS vs DHS... I was just trying to point out that sometimesunconventional mechs can work, in the right hands, such as a slow light mech like an Urbanmech or Hollander.

#252 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

You are running mechs with low engines and a bunch of SHS? That's cool, but extremely inefficient. There is no build that benefits enough from SHS to be worth moving at half speed.

I guess some people just like to have mechs, I prefer to have a few great mechs.

#253 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Who said that engine was that slow? Its only two notches under the max size a Stalker 3F can take. Not to mention, I find that with the combo of LRMs and med lasers, I don't need to move fast.

Why does everyone presume that my mech is worse than it is as soon as they hear SHS? Seriously, a mech can still be effective even if it isn't "optimized".

#254 Purgatus233

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostTesunie, on 02 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Who said that engine was that slow? Its only two notches under the max size a Stalker 3F can take. Not to mention, I find that with the combo of LRMs and med lasers, I don't need to move fast.

Why does everyone presume that my mech is worse than it is as soon as they hear SHS? Seriously, a mech can still be effective even if it isn't "optimized".

This confirms my assumptions about your build, which I estimated to be the 300 standard engine with 5 ML, 2 LRM 10, 2 tons of ammo, 29 heat sinks, and nearly maxed armor.

Edited by Purgatus233, 02 May 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#255 Purgatus233

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostTesunie, on 02 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I just want to point out the transition in your arguments over time.
You start by basically asserting that certain things work for certain people. On its face, this is undeniably true, but the subtle underlying argument is that there are some items/builds which, when matched with the appropriate skillset/playstyle, provide some kind of synergy that makes them better *for that person.*

You provide examples of a slow light mech, and single heat sink Stalker.

You then transition to saying that you’ve “done the math” and that the differences are negligible.

You mention that “A Jagermech with dual AC20 can be just as effective as one with dual gauss, or 4 AC5s, or 2 AC2s and 2 UAC5s. It's all in how it's played and what you want it to do.”

And finally “A Jagermech with dual AC20 can be just as effective as one with dual gauss, or 4 AC5s, or 2 AC2s and 2 UAC5s. It's all in how it's played and what you want it to do.”

Now, this is classic.

Making vague statements about “preferences” is fine, if a bit hard to really pin down. Some people might prefer their mechs to perform worse, that’s true.

But it’s where you are basically asserting that “all choices are equally effective in the right hands (paraphrasing but the idea is there) that you start to really go astray.

It’s simply. Not. True.

A slow light might be “effective” i.e. it can “do something,” but it will always be less effective than a heavier mech which can carry more armor and more weapons while achieving the same speed. This is not a matter of preference; this is simply an objective fact.

Likewise, your Stalker might be “effective” in terms of being able to accomplish things, but it will always be more effective with DHS. It’s simply a fact.

You say you have 30 heat sinks.

Well, let’s call it 29 heat sinks, with nearly maxed armor except the legs, 5 medium lasers, 2 LRM 10s and 2 tons of ammo. This sounds pretty close to your build, but I might be off by a bit. It’s irrelevant. Smurfy lists your cooling efficiency at 40%.

Moving to double heat sinks, your engine heat sinks immediately replace 20 of your 29 original heat sinks.

In order to replace the other 9, you must purchase and install 7 more (that gives you a bit more efficiency, actually).

You now have 12 tons of additional weight available.

12 TONS.

Now, you could do all kinds of things with that weight. You could add weapons or upsize them, using some of the additional tonnage for more heat sinks. You have plenty of room. You could go for a bigger engine (though not that much bigger than the 300 I already have in there). You could go “INFINITE AMMO UNLOCKED” mode on your LRMs and spam them to your heart’s content.

Lots of things. But the point is, for the exact same performance, you get a huge amount of extra tonnage to work with. And crit slots are simply not an issue for this build. And at this precise cooling performance, you are only using TWO more crit slots than with the singles.

The issue is that you just don’t like that it’s simply “better.” You eventually start discussing that this is a “remnant” mech from “back in the day” that you just basically can’t be arsed to change.

Finally, you make the classic fluff appeal in a last, desperate attempt at justification.

The reality is, you don’t need to justify anything.

If you like to see steam rising from your legs when standing in water (that’s been implemented, right…? It’s been a while since I’ve driven a SHS mech…), or if the sight of bulky doubles in your mechlab crit layout visually offends you, of if you simply don’t want to be like everyone else, then that’s “valid.” But it isn’t “just as effective”… it’s not. The danger comes when you try to propagate the idea that they are all “equally effective” choices.

Even your c-bill argument is simply rationally lacking. Having 12 extra tons to play with will simply make your mech better, making your income go up with that mech. We see 15% of our tonnage made available but in reality you will see more than a 15% increase in your effectiveness, because the last 25% of your tons are simply more meaningfully spent than the first 75%.

If you have an aesthetic and emotional attachment to single heat sinks and being unique, just say that.

But this thread is fundamentally about balance, and the injection of those kinds of appeals to emotion camouflaged in pseudo-logic and 3rd grade “everyone’s entitled to their opinion” stuff is just not going to pass the sniff test.

You are suffering from cognitive dissonance, trying to rationally justify an irrational decision. Just embrace the irrationality, admit that it’s an emotional choice and move on.

It should be noted, that if this is a “flaw” it is fundamentally a flaw in design. XL engines, which you also note are prolific, are NOT “simply better” than standard engines and in some cases are much worse. This is because there are genuine trade-offs in survivability and crit-space which make that decision much more situational, much closer to your above explanation of “the right choice for the right situation.”

So if you are irritated that DHS are not balanced, then just say that, but don’t argue that, in some weird way they actually are.

Edited by Purgatus233, 02 May 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#256 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostPurgatus233, on 02 May 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

This confirms my assumptions about your build, which I estimated to be the 300 standard engine with 5 ML, 2 LRM 10, 2 tons of ammo, 29 heat sinks, and nearly maxed armor.

I hope its not that, that's more light Hunchback armament, not Stalker.

#257 Purgatus233

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 02 May 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

I hope its not that, that's more light Hunchback armament, not Stalker.

"My Stalker has 6 med lasers and a total of 20 LRM tubes."

So actually I was off by one and you only have 11 tons to play with. Still. This is exactly what it pencils out to in mechlab.

300 Standard
28 Heat Sinks
Nearly max armor (shave a bit from legs)
2 LRM 10s
6 Medium Lasers
2 Tons Ammo

Edited by Purgatus233, 02 May 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#258 Purgatus233

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

One other thing to keep in mind is that ELO will make people think that things are more effective than they really are, for reasons that should be obvious.

The fact that you say you can "melt an Atlas" with 6 medium lasers before he can melt you back suggests that something else MIGHT be going on.

My atlas, for instance, with my AC20, 3xASRM4 and twin Large Lasers, has the same heat efficiency as your Stalker, and MASSIVELY more effective short/mid range dps. In a "melting match" you are certain to lose against a properly built Atlas unless piloted by someone who is incapable of hitting a 50 kph Stalker at close range.

#259 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well I actually made it as well. With 3 tons of ammo or 4, and 6 mediums, on a hunch 4J

#260 Purgatus233

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 02 May 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Well I actually made it as well. With 3 tons of ammo or 4, and 6 mediums, on a hunch 4J

Yeah. I think there's a point to be made there.

I mean, granted, firepower isn't EVERYTHING but when you can have the same speed, the same armor and simply more firepower by going DHS... yeah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users