Appeal of the Marauder

98 replies to this topic

#81 Frostiken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 05 June 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Yes, because humanoid mechs don't have goofy-looking legs or anything...

It basically comes down to whether or not you like your mechs to look more animal-like or more human-like. Either way there will be aspects of both styles that will not appeal to people; Neither are better or worse. It's a preference. I prefer mechs that look less human like because I don't like humanoid robots.

There are plenty of goofy humanoid mechs. The difference is you don't see legions of nostalgic rose-colored glasses-wearing BT geeks pretending the hideous ones are something like "The most iconic mech evaaaar".

Edited by Frostiken, 05 June 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#82 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

The Marauder II is one of my favorite Assault mechs of all time.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder_II

#83 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

The Marauder is a beautiful mech. Anyone who says different has no soul and probably eats babies for breakfast every morning. Now gimme my dang unseen. Those designs are and always will be Battletech to me because they were what I learned to play with. Personally I find most clanmechs ugly and boring, but apparently some people like those as well, probably because that's what _they_ learned to play with. Go figure.

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 05 June 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#84 Kynlore

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

The Marauder was the very first mech I was given when I started playing TT with my friends years ago (I guess I started at the top), so I hold a slight affection to it for that reason. But I hold an affection to all the "unseen" mechs as that is what I began playing with.

#85 Dead Winter Dead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Venus and Mars.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostCuth, on 04 June 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Khyron drove one, 'nuff said.

This right here. Props to you.

#86 Mezlabor

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

I think it looks cool that is the appeal to me. That is all.

#87 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

It's also one of those designs that pretty much everyone had their own House variant for- which was more common in the 3025 era and less so as the number of designs increased and more of them became common only in a few places.

It had direct firepower that outmatched anything in the heavy class, albeit with heat problems- but that was 3025, everything did. It's also actually notable as historically being the first mention we fans had of now-commonly known ferro-fibrous armor, and the -2R is a nasty, nasty League-era upgrade that is made of Hurt You and Abuse You in equal measures.

The later versions have their virtues as well. The -3D variant is a heat hog but the PPC/PPC/LL trio can flay most anything in a single barrage, the later -5 series gives all kinds of interesting stuff- from Capellan stealth-armored designs to the pulse-heavy -5D or the brute force of the Gauss-packing -5S. It's an iconic and classic heavy's heavy, and the longer you've played, the more likely you were to have fallen in love with it before the glut of other machines showed up in various TRO's.

#88 GeneralArmchair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

How can you people possibly have a Marauder thread without posting FD's manly marauder for manly men?

Posted Image

Shimmering sword's stuff is usually pretty good, but his MAD needs to go on a diet. It screams "shoot my side torsos!!!" and is suffering from a serious case of offset dorsal gun. Mechanicaly the dorsal gun is in the right torso, but aesthetically every TRUE marauder has a centered dorsal gun.

Edited by GeneralArmchair, 05 June 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#89 PirateLincoln

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 152 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, USA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

When I was in grade school and first getting into BattleTech I went into a game store with my dad and picked out the coolest-looking miniature they had...which was a Marauder. Absolutely loved that thing as a kid, so I've got a particular soft-spot for it. Not my favorite, these days, but nevertheless awesome.

#90 CJDodo

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Posted Image

It basically comes down to whether or not you like your mechs to look more animal-like or more human-like. Either way there will be aspects of both styles that will not appeal to people; Neither are better or worse. It's a preference. I prefer mechs that look less human like because I don't like humanoid robots.

For me it doesn't come down to the humanoid/non-humanoid split, there are such a variety of designs. I don't have a preference on what it resembles as long as it looks good. That's one of quite a few good examples of humanoids that don't look very good.

View PostGeneralArmchair, on 05 June 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

How can you people possibly have a Marauder thread without posting FD's manly marauder for manly men?

Posted Image

Shimmering sword's stuff is usually pretty good, but his MAD needs to go on a diet. It screams "shoot my side torsos!!!" and is suffering from a serious case of offset dorsal gun. Mechanicaly the dorsal gun is in the right torso, but aesthetically every TRUE marauder has a centered dorsal gun.

That is badass, but I'd agree it's not quite a Marauder, the upper legs need to be significantly shorter than the lower legs, the arms are too 'Rock'em Sock'em', and the torso is abit flat and long. But the dorsal gun looks centred to me, I guess being a low detail sketch it's a little vague.

View PostSamuel Graves, on 05 June 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

When I was in grade school and first getting into BattleTech I went into a game store with my dad and picked out the coolest-looking miniature they had...which was a Marauder. Absolutely loved that thing as a kid, so I've got a particular soft-spot for it. Not my favorite, these days, but nevertheless awesome.

I respect the nostalgia value that I've learned that it has, I guess it's similar to the feelings I have towards the Bushwacker and Shadow Cat, being the tutorial mechs for MW3+4. I admit I didn't know the TT existed at all until a day or two after finding MWO and these forums a couple weeks ago.

Edited by CJDodo, 05 June 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#91 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

It's Kyron's officer pod. He's a bad ***.

#92 Oric

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

this is the coolest picture I have ever seen and is my desktop image.. :D

Posted Image

#93 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

The original Zentraedi Battle Pod/Marauder is all legs, which just doesn't make much sense from the BT perspective, and is particularly awful in a sim-style game since the legs aren't much better armored than a Warhammer. I've never liked the original design, though the weapon loadouts are rather nice. I'd love to see what Alex could do with it.

#94 Sougokami

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I would think it was great, IF it didn't have poor heat and armor. In the tabletop game it can only fire its PPCs once without moving before it starts to feel the effects of its heat. It has a very vulnerable ammo bin, and flimsy armor. In a straight-up fight with equally-skilled warriors, I'd put my money on a Warhammer every single time.

#95 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostCuth, on 04 June 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Khyron drove one, 'nuff said.

So based on the obvious logic.

Marauder = Zentraedi Battle Pod = Lord Khyron = Paul Inouye = MWO

And thus we shall get the Marauder for MWO...

(don't kill me Paul)

#96 smeghead60

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Locationsolaris VII

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

if they can get past the IP laws and get a marauder incarnation in the game, i say HELL yea.

#97 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

You misunderstood me, I'm not shooting down chicken walkers and championing humanoid mechs as a whole. All I'm saying is that Marauder looks like its arms, feet and dorsal gun are way oversized for its frame and purpose, comically so.

The new Cicada looks sleek and predatory. The Cauldron Born does. FD's Marauder redesign, with more sensibly proportioned legs and arms does. The "original" Marauder... looks like a mech on stils, with clown shoes and comic-style boxing gloves. People have warm feelings about the mech from the TT days, fair enough, but I don't think the visual design can defend itself well on its own, so to speak.

Then again, de gustibus. I used to enjoy Mickey Mouse.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 06 June 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#98 Ricofico

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOut in the Periphery, sitting in my Mech

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

necro ;)

#99 SteelyDan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 305 posts