ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

Which lines in that article do you feel justify your opinion?

the entire article. The author takes what he feels was an implied promise, and tries to tie it to our founders packs, which promised exactly what we got. Then he "backs it up" with hyperbolic nonsense about 250 dollar founder packs. Still wanna know how I missed those.

If the author wished to be taken seriously, he should stick to facts, not add A+B=Z. THAT is my issue. When people do that, it is almost always an attempt to stir up discontent. Certain Forum members are quite famous for doing the same things, posting innuendo, rumors and half truths, then stretching the facts to fit their vision.

Well, I'm sorry we aren't getting (apparently) the Vision we hoped for (except, if you were to go and ask any of "us" what that vision is, you would end up with 100 different answers). I was really hoping for an as true as possible translation of TT Battletech to live action shooter/light SIM as possible. Big community Warfare, etc. Were we lied to? IDK. More than likely, we got hit by reality squashing their eager puppy expectations (oh crap, IGP is taking a lot of this money, and... all these great blue sky ideas .... aren't coming together as simply as hoped....yada yada), and being told what to do by a Publisher who is still controlling the checkbook. (And for those asking for more "openness" if it is indeed IGP... go post negative things about your employer on Facebook and see how long you have a job). So, yeah. I'm NOT happy about that.

But I also know that that their vision, and what I paid for in a Founders pack, are two very different things, and I know, when gambling on a Closed Beta,that things rarely end up where we hoped. The Author, and too many people on this forum are taking what they inferred from Dev posts, as some sort of binding contract connected to, and signed in blood, through their Founders Pack. And it just ain't so.

#22 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

Which lines in particular Bishop? If we want to discuss we need to focus.

If you want I will kick it off.

"This is the primary reason why founder’s packs do so well. Kickstarter is a phenomenon now, and linking purchases to the Kickstarter reward structure inextricably conjures the feeling of crowdfunding. Even though you are essentially pre-purchasing a free-to-play game, it feels like you are contributing to continued development. And you are! Just not in the sense of kickstarting a project."

You see I think the author is bang on with this point. What do you think about the lines I cite?

EDIT: I cite that one as it is kinda the theme of that GDC panel discussion that was so socially awkward for Bryan and Russ.

EDIT2: Oh Bishop, PGI are the ones making the decisions. PGI are the IP rights holder and sub-let some rights to IGP to develop Mechwarrior tactics. In terms of the 'relationship of influence' between developer and publisher, in the case of PGI and IGP it is the other way around!

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 20 April 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

I'll be happy to go over it line by line with you, AFTER I get off work. Which is where I am headed.

"Even though you are essentially pre-purchasing a free-to-play game, it feels like you are contributing to continued development. And you are!"

Simply wrong. You are purchasing 0-4 mechs, credits, premium time and early access. Nothing more. You are contributing to a future project in the same exact way anyone who buys a case of coke does, by giving someone money for a product. That we seem to somehow think we are entitled to more, I don't make the connection.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 April 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#24 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

I'll be happy to go over it line by line with you, AFTER I get off work. Which is where I am headed.

[color=#959595]"Even though you are essentially pre-purchasing a free-to-play game, it feels like you are contributing to continued development. And you are!"[/color]

[color=#959595]Simply wrong. You are purchasing 0-4 mechs, credits, premium time and early access. Nothing more. You are contributing to a future project in the same exact way anyone who buys a case of coke does, by giving someone money for a product. That we seem to somehow think we are entitled to more, I don't make the connection.[/color]

What about the lines I cite?

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 20 April 2013 - 03:23 AM.

#25 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

View PostProtoformX, on 20 April 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

You guys must be doing something right, PGI. Just since January I've already purchased enough MC to fund two years worth of an MMO subscription. I wouldn't have ever dreamed that I would be spending this kind of cash on a F2P game. You guys have found my weakness. I feel like I'm going back to the crack dealer to refill my stash every couple weeks.

That said, I'm HAPPY to give these guys my money. Beta whatever, bugs this; who cares? I play this game like 20 hours a week. That's a crapload of entertainment... For comparison I watch like 2 hours worth of TV in a week. I'll happily fund my right, and more players rights to keep playing this game.

Just put the MC in this bag so I can have my pink stompy robots... Now shut up and take my money!

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 20 April 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Reading that hurt. Those things are so petty to even weigh the success of the game on. Those are bugs. They aren't game breaking things like LRM's raining vertically down onto your mech, or an abundance of cheaters and bots that teleport through the map and headshot every time.

This game is good. This game has bugs, but so far that is expected. They have admitted that the game is still in beta because of the fact they're developing internal tools still, refining Q&A and equiping them with smarter ways to find bugs faster and easier, and so on. So complaining about bugs and saying they're ruining the game? Hardly. It would be nice to see them gone, but I've still get kills, I can still do damage, I can still play the game even though I don't have my minimap.

View PostGB Krubarax, on 20 April 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

I am with OP on this.
And I very rarely get any bugs. When they do happen, I shrug it off.

I can find something else to do for 7 minutes and then just jump into next game.
Although the no HUD bug can be really fun somethimes.
Last night I had no HUD at all and got highest damage and score with three kills.

I was playing with a friend and I walked next to him all the time.
I used my medium lasers as "tracers" for my AC20 :lol:

And when my friends mech was destroyed, he spectated on me and were pretty mucch saying "to the left! to the left! now you are on target! fire!" LOL

yeah.. that was great...

View PostThorn Hallis, on 20 April 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

See, and I think the article is wrong. It's as easy as that.

Posted Imagelololol I actually don't care as much as I let on, if your having fun, enjoy

#26 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

Keep 'em coming. Lol. I wouldn't call myself a whale, definitely an addict though. Them whales sure are cute.

#27 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostProtoformX, on 20 April 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

Keep 'em coming. Lol. I wouldn't call myself a whale, definitely an addict though. Them whales sure are cute.

LOL its nothing to feel bad about I don't know why anyone would be offended, speaking of addiction happy 420 ************* we need threads and more green paint!!!! threads boys... threads...

#28 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

View PostDCLXVI, on 20 April 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

LOL its nothing to feel bad about I don't know why anyone would be offended, speaking of addiction happy 420 ************* we need threads and more green paint!!!! threads boys... threads...

I lost my thread a long, long time ago.

#29 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

I lost my thread a long, long time ago.

it wouldn't last 10 minutes if you start if XD

#30 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

only 20 hours per week?What a blasphemy!

#31 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostDCLXVI, on 20 April 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

it wouldn't last 10 minutes if you start if XD

And that's what she said.

#32 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 20 April 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

I'll agree that the combat feels relatively tight, and that it feels like the combat you read about in the Mechwarrior/battletech novels, it's what I picture when my mechs are slugging it out on tabletop, The visuals are good, and the gameplay if not for broken weaponry, is decent.

there;s your answer

#33 ElCadaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Works for PGI? Marketing manager?

#34 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

Still having fun. :lol:

#35 Aklor

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

First I would like to say, I started playing MWO about a month ago and have supported PGI with my not so hard earned money (premium time, 3 hero mechs, mech bays)

The bugs are annoying, they need to get fixed...like last month. What keeps me coming back is, you pilot big friggin robots, each match is different, and there are tactics you need to develop or adapt to on the fly in order to win. Let's not forget the customization of mechs either.

Also, I'm excited about all the features that are going to be implemented and what I can currently do in game.

I played a little bit of TT when I was a teenager and fell in love with Battletech, I'm no BT expert, but this game rekindled my love for a game I played as a child.

I believe they know what they are doing and there will always be bumps in the road, in the end I think MWO will be a great game

#36 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

What makes me sad is all the morons who are spending HUGE piles of money on a game only to cry when it's not fixed NOW. As if the amount of money they spend is somehow directly related to how fast bugs are fixed or when balance changes are made.

Seriously, shut up. Judge the game in a few months when PGI considers it "released" and ends the beta. UNTIL THEN, just play with the bugs/balance issues or play something else. It's that simple. You haven't paid for anything else nor are you entitled to anything else. If you think you are, you're delusional and you should seek help with a mental health professional who specializes in shopping addiction or something akin to that.

Look at popular competitive games like LoL and StarCraft...they've been in development for YEARS and they still get balance updates. The PROFESSIONAL players even admit they just play the most broken things until the developers change things and break some other units/champions. Of course there's skill involved in figuring that out and in actually playing, but come on...no game that gets crazy complex can ever be perfectly balanced. It will be a never-ending battle to keep it close, and the devs will eventually learn they have to adjust things regularly to keep the game from getting stale.

The bugs are bugs and they will be fixed...eventually. If they're not fixed by release, then by all means complain your butts off.

#37 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

It's defiantly a fun and beautiful game to play. Just take a look at the footage that Celestial has caught in his videos, it's very impressive.

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

What about the lines I cite?

I qouted directly FROM the lines you cited.

#39 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

Well, I think it is relevant to what the OP talks about. I also think the article is correct. Indeed, quite a few other people 'in the industry' also agree with the general thrust of the article. Please do not mistake my position. I want a Mechwarrior type game and I want it to survive. Just I think that the way PGI are taking it will inevitably lead to failure.

star citizen can do their whole vision of the game for $6M... they even had to do the crowd funding route...

MWO had $5M forked over from the founders and we are still wondering what happened to that...

#40 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Well, I think it is relevant to what the OP talks about. I also think the article is correct. Indeed, quite a few other people 'in the industry' also agree with the general thrust of the article.

It seems that everyone knows someone who is "in the industry" or is a "dev" themselves. I find it funny that these people spend as much time on this forum site as they do; surely their own projects must be suffering from the lack of attention.

Please do not mistake my position. I want a Mechwarrior type game and I want it to survive. Just I think that the way PGI are taking it will inevitably lead to failure.

A lot of people, names that I see every single damn day because of one thing or another, say the same thing! Excellent and awesome even; so why drum up negativity all the time? Negativity does nothing but inject toxic mess into the community. What happens if a game fails, not because of bugs or content or whatever, but because of a toxic community? Where is your (insert magic number here) of $ then? It's like shooting yourself in the foot just to prove you can take the pain; whether you can or can't you still look like a fool for doing it.

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

I am of the opinion that these huge gulfs between what us players think, our sense of what is acceptable and a good deal, correlates with our age differences and the particular 'generation of gamers' that we come from. It seems to me that those critical of PGI come from the first generation of online gamers whilst those being uncritical are younger and perhaps did not experience it the first time around.

I would say your data is inaccurate. I'm 38 years old, have played TT, have played since MechWarrior 1 on the old EGA monitors and I have played every iteration along the way. I'm uncritical on PGI and MWO because I'm realistic and I read what is presented to me and dissect it before acting upon it. I read the parts about "closed beta access" and I know what "beta" means. I also know that the best laid plans change frequently; in my line of work we can plan all we want but the moment we jump off the truck and grab the hose those plans are changing because of X factor or Y situation.

If I wanted another MechWarrior 2 I would simply play MechWarrior 2. If I wanted another MechWarrior 4 I would play MechWarrior 4. This is MechWarrior Online and I either like it for I leave for greener pastures. In the event that I chose to leave I will do so with my mouth shut and a little dignity. I wouldn't kick up a ruckus and scream bloody murder about not getting what was promised and blah blah blah. I'm still surprised at how lenient PGI is with some of these types of people.

View PostNonsense, on 20 April 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

What makes me sad is all the morons who are spending HUGE piles of money on a game only to cry when it's not fixed NOW. As if the amount of money they spend is somehow directly related to how fast bugs are fixed or when balance changes are made.

First, nobody is a "moron" but I do agree with your overall statement. Second, too many people have too great a sense of entitlement and either they didn't read the fine print on their founders packs or their personalities are such that nothing makes them happy anyway and they will complain just for the sake of complaining. Who knows, some could be from other companies doing it intentionally (shrugs) as I said I am surprised at the leeway that PGI/IGP allows these individuals. If I was King for a day it would be different; the amount of money spend on founders packs would not be a factor.

View PostNonsense, on 20 April 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

The bugs are bugs and they will be fixed...eventually. If they're not fixed by release, then by all means complain your butts off.

Exactly!

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users