7 replies to this topic

#1 Beavertron

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding chain fire and AC/2's. Someone recently told me that the delay in firing between a ballistic weapons group on chain fire is 0.5 seconds, is this correct?

If so am I right in thinking that chain firing a pair of AC/2's is pointless as the chain fire time is the same as the recycle time, so your basically firing 1 AC/2?

Thanks

#2 Nmementh

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

yes, but if you're running a dakka/ac2 build it's useful for ammo and heat conservation...

#3 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

if you want to "chain fire" you have to do it manually, put all the weapons in their own group and then hit the keys on your own.

most people use a macro to do this but this is how you can get the same effect.

personally its only use it to annoy your target and partially blind them. I just fire all at once and move on.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

For best heat management and ammo conservation, try this if a macro is not an option.
Pair up your AC/2s. Assuming you have 6, this makes 3 groups.
Chainfire each pair.
Fire the first group, after the first shot add in the second group, and when ready add in the third group. You can create your own firing patterns and cut out barrels at will. Since at any one time you're firing no more than 3 at once, this helps to save ammo as well.
I keep a fourth group to fire all at once.

#5 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Unless you're overheating, I really don't see much point in chain firing AC2s - I know there's a somewhat significant "psychological warfare" aspect of pelting somebody with an AC2 round every .25 seconds or so, but personally I'd rather fire all of my AC2s at once and do significant damage to a single part of the enemy mech instead of spreading the damage all over the place.

#6 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 23 April 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Unless you're overheating, I really don't see much point in chain firing AC2s - I know there's a somewhat significant "psychological warfare" aspect of pelting somebody with an AC2 round every .25 seconds or so, but personally I'd rather fire all of my AC2s at once and do significant damage to a single part of the enemy mech instead of spreading the damage all over the place.

There is also anecdotal evidence that multiple ballistic weapons hitting the same place at the same time are not all registering.

I cannot confirm this.

I generally use a combination of chain fire and group fire for "max ROF" but it is certainly debatable if I am hitting this maximum, or if it does much good in comparison to only group-firing.

#7 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostBeavertron, on 21 April 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding chain fire and AC/2's. Someone recently told me that the delay in firing between a ballistic weapons group on chain fire is 0.5 seconds, is this correct?

Correct.

View PostBeavertron, on 21 April 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

If so am I right in thinking that chain firing a pair of AC/2's is pointless as the chain fire time is the same as the recycle time, so your basically firing 1 AC/2?

Thanks

Correct again, you want quicker fire: Have each weapon in its own group, and fire each progressively as the previous is recycling. Dual works fine for this, but three has the best effect. The only problems with this, is you need fairly good aim to put down full damage, heat increases very quickly (as I think it comes under the penalty of group/alpha firing), and ammo reserves are expended very quickly. However, it is incredibly fun, and has an intimidation factor that will panic most pilots.

Edited by Mokey Mot, 24 April 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostMokey Mot, on 24 April 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

heat increases very quickly (as I think it comes under the penalty of group/alpha firing)

They haven't added any heat penalty for group/alpha firing yet.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users