#21 Willie Sauerland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 21 April 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

yup any kind of mad scientist build that you could do with large ballistics on a 5k spider you can do better on the 4x raven, and then even better on a cicada with good speed.

My favorite cicada build:
1 Gauss Rifle
1 ERPPC.
Biggest engine possible.
Fun times.
:o

#22 Inconspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostMild Monkey, on 21 April 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

BTW, a flock of Ravens is called "murder" for a reason.

I think you are thinking of a murder of crows, it is actually an unkindness of ravens... (even better I should think).

#23 ArcDemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostTennex, on 21 April 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

we're seeing a bunch more jenners though. which is a very good sign.

i think its because the raven is bigger and more susceptible to the state rewind ballistics.

Ever since the Raven's hitboxes where fixed this has been happening. The Raven may dominate other lights (and whether it is OP in that regard I won't comment on right now), but pull it near some of your bigger friends and it takes a beating since it's almost as big as a Cicada but has less weapons then a Jenner. You still see Raven flocks swarming lone mechs, but you can do the same with Jenners and Commandos too (just tonight I had a trebuchet rage quit because he was being mauled by 2 of us Commandos)

#24 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostArcDemon, on 21 April 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Ever since the Raven's hitboxes where fixed this has been happening.

The Raven's hitboxes weren't 'fixed', their leg hitboxes were increased beyond model, meaning it's super easy to hit their legs even if your aim isn't that great. Nothing was bugged/etc with the hitboxes before, but PGI felt Ravens weren't dying easily enough, and probably didn't think laser state rewind was enough by itself.

Supposedly they're going to revert the leg hitboxes since state rewind is now in (except for missiles, and that's on the way), but no idea when that will happen, or if it will, given that I heard it from someone else who heard it somewhere. i.e. source unknown. Would be nice if it was real, though.

Ravens are no longer a 'terror'. (except to slow ungainly mechs, but that's not exclusive to Ravens) Jenners have more overall firepower (More lasers, more missiles) and have jump jets for superior maneuverability. ECM doesn't mean anything when a Jenner's using lasers and SRMs, and can leg a Raven before the Raven can strip the armor off the Jenner's leg. Ravens get torn apart nowadays, unless they play conservatively and avoid contact with light-hunter mechs (Jenners, Cicadas, Dragons, Centurions, Trebuchets, laser Hunchbacks).

Edit: Added detail.

Edited by Gralzeim, 21 April 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#25 Willie Sauerland

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostGralzeim, on 21 April 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

The Raven's hitboxes weren't 'fixed', their leg hitboxes were increased beyond model, meaning it's super easy to hit their legs even if your aim isn't that great. Nothing was bugged/etc with the hitboxes before, but PGI felt Ravens weren't dying easily enough, and probably didn't think laser state rewind was enough by itself. Supposedly they're going to revert the leg hitboxes since state rewind is now in (except for missiles, and that's on the way), but no idea when that will happen.

I'm sorry, but I seemed to have missed that Dev post.
Could you point me to the source please?

#26 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Exactly. I've tried taking my Jenner and Cicadas. And while they are more effective than they used to be and you CAN sometimes leg or kill a Raven or Commando with them ... it is by no means a sure thing. I've seen a piddly Com 2D take out a fresh max armored Cicada X5 while it still had armor left in all body sections. The Streaks may or may not have hit the CT exclusively ... but if they didn't .. their splash damage certainly did and the CDA died to CT core.

Raven's are the safer bet if you are planning to play hardcore.

View PostAlymbic, on 21 April 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

If ecm wasn't in the picture, I would take a Jenner over my Raven. But taking a Jenner only hurts my team in an 8 man.

#27 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostWillie Sauerland, on 21 April 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but I seemed to have missed that Dev post.
Could you point me to the source please?

Updated my journal.

I mean, my post.

#28 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Does anyone else suspect that the OP is actually a poptart pilot trying to get attention off jump-sniping?

#29 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thought he might have just bought a commando or something and having ravens take his lunch.

#30 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostWillie Sauerland, on 21 April 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

Something this important needs a poll.

May your days always be surreal.

#31 Eleshod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 187 posts
  • LocationVegas baby!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

weren't jenners dominating pre ECM? What changed? You can't tell me the hud scramble is killing your 6 med-laser jenner?

#32 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

the 6 laser jenner >= rvn-3L. however, the hitboxes on both mechs still need to be fixed. jenners take rear ct dmg to front ct iirc? ravens hitboxes are all ****** up.

#33 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Raven 2x is one of the worst mechs in the game besides the Spider V/K. Raven 4x is marginally better.

For the 200 million, 567 thousandth time, It's the streak missiles + ability to deny them to opponents through ECM that makes the Raven 3L able to defeat almost all other lights 1 v 1.

Fix streaks, and you fix the Raven 3L.

#34 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 21 April 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

If only we had more urban maps for the slow ballistic 4x raven (aka urbies) to shine.
Spider-Urbie approves of this post.

#35 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

i eat ravens in my Spider all day long ( srry hormones ! ) but seriously since state-rewind its ur fault if u cant kill em ! so get a grip

#36 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

The Raven leg hitbox is all screwy, I was killed by a Highlander with 2 ERPPCs and a Gauss who some how managed to destroy not one, but both of my legs at the same time, one leg had their armor in orange and the other yellow. At first I just contributed it to being gang shotted by two mechs who fired at the same time and were lucky enough to have both shots hit each leg. However, the next game, a buddy on our team in a 6 PPC Stalker fired an alpha at an enemy Raven's legs, but the alpha missed and still took out both of the Ravens legs in one shot. At first I thought what I saw was some kind of lag, but the Stalker guy even said the shot missed, and despite that the Raven still went down with both legs being destroyed.

#37 Panzerman03

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostMild Monkey, on 21 April 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

BTW, a flock of Ravens is called "murder" for a reason.

Actually, a flock of crows is a "murder."

A flock of ravens is called an "unkindness" (I'm serious, look it up), which is even more appropriate I think <_<

#38 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Spider-Urbie approves of this post.

So does Hunchback.

#39 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Posttvaughanx, on 21 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

For the love of god could you just fix ravens already they are clearly imba to other lights

The ECM raven is the only problem but not impossible if you get one solo. As with all ravens you MUST go for the legs and it will be fine. Never go for the core because it will take much more time than simply legging it.

I wonder how it is to pilot a cheese raven? Knowing that you cannot compete without taking the easy way out and knowing that everybody else understand what kind of sissy little freak you are?

Spiders, Jenners or Commandos. But you had to take a cheese light. Stop doing that and jump into one of the other ravens and become the free kill that you should be.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users