32 replies to this topic

#21 Warcorer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationHollywood - Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Any gauss cannon but in this order: Improved Gauss, Heavy Gauss, Clan Gauss, Gauss, Light Gauss ;)

Its always fun when you snipe parts off of mechs with two light gauss cannons from an Uziel.

Edited by Warcorer, 04 June 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#22 Eiki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

The Pipe is my favorite weapon, because you will always lose to an Atlas with a pipe.

#23 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hunchback with a Longtom

#24 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

In the past I would have said Clan ER-PPC, but of late, I find myself intrigued by the Clan Plasma cannon;

7 heat, Max range 18, 1 crit, 3 tons, 10 ammo per ton.

Damage... Well that's where things get interesting. All of 0 damage to anything that isn't infantry (Which it annihilates), but 2d6 extra points of heat slapped on your vehicle.

The fact that it's so unpredictable in it's effectiveness turns it into a real psycholgical warfare weapon, since a Pilot doesn't know if he can afford to go hog wild with his weapons/movement (A good mech pilot always runs close to heat penalties but never goes over). Can you afford to take the chance that when I hit you i'll get snake eyes, so firing that PPC will be safe? Should you be ejecting your ammo to avoid having it go off like popcorn in the microwave when I cook you with a 12?

Christ, If I could I'd build a mech with 4 of these things and enough ammo and heatsinks to last a full game, just so that I could laugh as the heat cooks my opponent in his cockpit as his mech refuses to power up.

#25 Owl Cutter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

Choose a weapon, to only use one of?  Doesn't that heavily bias choices toward the largest weapons?  I'll have one warship, thank you.

I agree, Mason, Plasma weapons are pretty threatening. Volatility in general is really useful for discouragment, which is what the good old AC/20 seems to be going for, but if I just want to destroy something as quickly as possible I prefer the less volatile results from banks of smaller weapons.

I think I can see the appeal of the clanners' über-PPC, but I find their über-LPL more appealing for general killamajig purposes partly for its reliability, but also because it just "feels" like it offers a lot more value for the BV, money and heat. It might not hit nearly as hard, or reach quite as far, but it hits way more often and requires less heat sinks to support it.

Edited by Owl Cutter, 05 June 2012 - 01:07 AM.

#26 Smiffy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

AC/20 is best in life.

Be it Ultra or no, nothing has the sheer satasfaction of shaving the armour off of any mech part except the CT on any mech under 75 tonnes.

While yes there are heavy gauss rifles that do more damage, very few 'mechs can mount another 20 tonne light 'mech as a weapon.

And granted, an ER PPC has the best math in the game, and firing lighting at other 'mechs is cool, they just dont have the same finality in the eyes of your enemy as he has to tick off all of the points in his leg.

And of course turning your 'mech into a medium laser boat can deal massive damage, can is the opperative term there.

Sure LRM/20s can do equal damage, they rarely ever do, and even rarer all in one place.

In the right hands the AC/20 is by and large the best gun ever to be used in battletech and mechwarrior, range can be compensated for, and ammo can be conserved.

#27 HIemfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostAshla Mason, on 05 June 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

In the past I would have said Clan ER-PPC, but of late, I find myself intrigued by the Clan Plasma cannon;

7 heat, Max range 18, 1 crit, 3 tons, 10 ammo per ton.

Damage... Well that's where things get interesting. All of 0 damage to anything that isn't infantry (Which it annihilates), but 2d6 extra points of heat slapped on your vehicle.

The fact that it's so unpredictable in it's effectiveness turns it into a real psycholgical warfare weapon, since a Pilot doesn't know if he can afford to go hog wild with his weapons/movement (A good mech pilot always runs close to heat penalties but never goes over). Can you afford to take the chance that when I hit you i'll get snake eyes, so firing that PPC will be safe? Should you be ejecting your ammo to avoid having it go off like popcorn in the microwave when I cook you with a 12?

Christ, If I could I'd build a mech with 4 of these things and enough ammo and heatsinks to last a full game, just so that I could laugh as the heat cooks my opponent in his cockpit as his mech refuses to power up.

Pair a couple with flamers or inferno missiles. Depending on how your opponent runs their heat (TW rules limit outside heats sources to 15 heat points max now) they can cook themselves quite nicely with your assistance.

#28 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

My brain.

#29 Darius III

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostPook600, on 04 June 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

AC20 on a med mech with the ability to fly (relatively anyways) up and surprise a few folks...

I'm with him

#30 KailKromier

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

>_> :(/

jenner..with a clan-SRM6 and 10 tons of ammo, best engine possible, MASC, and a C3 targeting computer :)

#31 Silver Sword

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Gauss Rifle has always been my favorite. It's a heavy hitter and can do some major damage but the ammo is non-explosive so ammo hits didn't matter. Gotta love super cooled objects traveling at super high velocities. And I love looking at the visual effects of the shot in the video games. I think mostly because the effect is usually blue in color.

#32 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Death From Above!!!

:mellow: (or a pack of streak SRM's to back up any main long range weapon)

#33 Sean leCiel

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationD.P.I. in the Galatea Arena's

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Clan ER-PPC alone or even quad on a warhawk, but if i can mass something multiple times, i love Clan ER-Mediums. Gotta dig the clanners idea of 12 ER-Meds on a medium mech, cant wait to get into a nova again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users