Jump to content

Centurion Domination


39 replies to this topic

#21 ZeProme

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

I love the centurions as well. I find that I like them much more than the widely acclaimed Hunchbacks such as the HBK-4SP for their newb friendliness.

Currently maxed out basic skills on my CN9-A. Here's my current loadout for it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0bd09c258973449

The CN9-A is one of the very first mechs I bought. IIRC, it was my second mech after the CPTL-A1 which I sold promptly later because it sucks without huge investments.

I call this build something close to versatile like jack of all trade. You got the arsenal to dictate how you want to proceed in battle. In close range, UAC/5s, medium lasers and SRM 4s, help a lot. I cored Atlases from the front at their CT, thanks for the UAC/5.

The annoying thing I don't like about this build is the random times when the UAC/5s jam. I had times when I can fire up to 8 volleys before it jams. Other times, just once it jams. Very frustrating when that happens, but when the dice is at your favor, you can deal a lot of damage.

Say if the arm is gone, you still got medium lasers and LRMs an SRMs. There was a match near the end game is was 3 vs 3. Me, and 2 light mechs vs 3 assorted heavies and assaults. There was no way we could outright brawl them, but with my torsos still intact (I lost my arms), I kept raining missiles on them until they were crippled enough to be wiped out in close quarters together with my allies.

On the way to maxing out basic skills for my CN9-AL. Here's my current loadout for it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1de65651371855b

This build shines in mid to short ranges. PPC helps eliminate EMC statuses so if an annoying light has ECM tag, knock it out and proceed to hammer it with SSRMs.

Once again, if arms are down still got some fighting capacity left.

Looking forward to buying the CN9-YLW. Centurions are my favorite mechs. Their ungodly potential to still continue fighting with their zombie-mode potential and their awesome distribution of hardpoints gives pilots an excellent mech chassis to customize.

I even have a build ready for it whenever I get the chance to buy it at discount price!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...21a44065ac95f1b

One of the very forgiving mechs for beginners as well. It's also fun to troll with enemies who otherwise tried their best to core you but you still got your legs, CT, and head intact. Zombie mech FTW!!!

Edited by ZeProme, 22 April 2013 - 01:49 PM.


#22 stjobe

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

I have somewhere around 850-900 drops in CN9s if my math is correct. I like the Cents :D

I'm currently running this CN9-A build; it's a mixed bag of goodies on a slow Cent. UAC+ALRM for long-range work, UAC+SSRM+ML for short-range work. Anywhere from point-blank to 1,800m, this build can reach out and touch someone.

I also ran the triple-ASRM-6 brawler build for the -A before missiles got nerfed. It was very effective, but I actually like the current build more - it's more like the Jack-of-all-Trades a proper Centurion should be :D

#23 ZeProme

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I also want to mention that Centurions looks very badass as well.

Probably the best looking mechs in this game.

Posted Image

See. It looks so badass.

#24 Padic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Here's my go-to mech:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7df98bd983e0430
CN9-D
XL300
DHS, ES
UAC5 (3 tons)
SRM6 x2 (2 tons)
ML x2

#25 VTenebrus

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

This thread. It makes me happy.

I remember, not so very long ago, when Cents where among the rarest mechs on the field. Personally, I've been driving them near continuously since back in closed Beta.

#26 Sahoj

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Kind of surprised you guys are running XL's in these.

I know if I'm one of the last guys standing in my YLW - and I still got my right arm, and any portion of my left side my opponents are in for a tough finish. Some of the best features of the mech as the narrow side profile and the tiny sliver of a center torso hitbox.

#27 Padic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 22 April 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

i switch to this sometimes

Endo steel
Dhs
XL300
A/C 2 - 2 tons
2Mlas
2 SRM6 - 2 tons ammo

Anyone care to suggest other builds?


Jazzbandit, comparing your loadout to mine ... I'd like to see your full build. It seems like you can get a little bit more stuff onto the robot, if you're going with an AC2 instead of a UAC5.

Here is a link of what I cobbled together
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80a56290b7be533
DHS, ES, FF
XL300
AC2 (3 tons)
SRM6 x2 w/ Artemis (2 tons)
ML x2

#28 Padic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostSahoj, on 22 April 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Kind of surprised you guys are running XL's in these.


I find the fragility of XLs in Centurions to be overrated. Obviously, you need to sacrifice your arms first - and then you can spread the damage out over your torso sections pretty carefully - especially if you're fast.

I often die to a side-torso explosion, but rarely without all three torso sections being at least into yellow internals. I figure, its no loss if I'm basically already dead, anyway, and think of all the extra speed and weaponry I got to use up until that point. The integral works out in my favor, I reckon.

#29 Jazzbandit1313

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostPadic, on 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:


Jazzbandit, comparing your loadout to mine ... I'd like to see your full build. It seems like you can get a little bit more stuff onto the robot, if you're going with an AC2 instead of a UAC5.

Here is a link of what I cobbled together
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80a56290b7be533
DHS, ES, FF
XL300
AC2 (3 tons)
SRM6 x2 w/ Artemis (2 tons)
ML x2

oh i forgot to include AMS and 1 ton ammo. sorry my good sir

#30 arghmace

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

With the missiles being quite weak at the moment, I decided to ditch them from my Cent-D. A surprisingly good build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b73dfeeadf7a1ca

If you're one of those that think AC5 is crappy, you could easily replace them with a Gauss and upgrade mediums to med pulses.

#31 Stokes52

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostPadic, on 22 April 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:


I find the fragility of XLs in Centurions to be overrated. Obviously, you need to sacrifice your arms first - and then you can spread the damage out over your torso sections pretty carefully - especially if you're fast.

I often die to a side-torso explosion, but rarely without all three torso sections being at least into yellow internals. I figure, its no loss if I'm basically already dead, anyway, and think of all the extra speed and weaponry I got to use up until that point. The integral works out in my favor, I reckon.


I'm totally with you on this point. I ran my Cent A with an STD engine for the longest time, and I found that most of my deaths were due to simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have since upgraded to an XL engine of the same weight and my survivability has actually very much increased.

The extra speed helps me avoid enemy shots which I think is actually much more conducive to surviving than the method of being a slow, half cored, zombie mech. Plus, knowing that I have to keep my side torsos alive keeps me alert and makes me less of a sloppy pilot. Also this means that my right arm and missile torso usually survive longer, because I am more conscious about not letting them get destroyed, which means I have more firepower throughout the match.

Plus, with the awesome torso twist and the massive arms of the Cent, I feel like spreading damage out across the whole mech is very easy, much easier than in some other chassis. I feel most accomplished as a Centurion pilot when my left arm is completely destroyed and my right arm is spotless. That's when I know I had a good round! Always armor up that left arm, people! It will save your life if used properly!

#32 Stokes52

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Also, this is the loadout that I've had the most fun with.

CN9-A UAC/5 + SRM + MPL

I use the UAC/5 to skirmish from range, then once the Assault mechs engage, I press the [/] key to open up my missile bay doors and use my speed to run through the Assault slogging match throwing SRM and Pulse Laser fire at any enemies.

Its not uncommon for me to end up with the highest damage on the team if I'm on my game using this method and it's a helluva lotta fun.

#33 arghmace

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostStokes52, on 29 April 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

I feel most accomplished as a Centurion pilot when my left arm is completely destroyed and my right arm is spotless. That's when I know I had a good round! Always armor up that left arm, people! It will save your life if used properly!


Indeed. The shield arm is perhaps the most important feature of a Centurion. If a Centurion dies with its shield arm still intact, either the pilot has failed or you've suffered real bad luck like two PPC-Stalkers landing 12 shots in an instant on your side torso ;)

#34 Op4blushift

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

I've found myself barely using any of my cents except my YLW since the missile nerf (The much loved 3SRM6 Cent-A has suffered quite a bit in particular). The change in focus to using poptarts and sniping from the last patch has also made using mediums feel kind of pointless since they can literally die in 2 shots from all those high alpha builds that can actually aim now thanks to HSR(for the most part anyway.) Maybe once SRMs have been fixed and HSR for missiles comes in I'll give them a spin again. Its simply too frustrating for me now since I always thought mediums in general were already a bit gimped and it feels like they've gotten the short end of the stick again.

#35 Akuma

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

I recently bought a CN9-D just to elite the Cent line; I didnt really think anything of it and I planned on just grinding through the basic exp skills. The mech really surprised me though, its fast and after tinkering with it in mechlab I have really come to enjoy running it. Fast enough to keep pace with most light mechs, aggressive and hits hard.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...75a8571c9c0fde6

#36 Stokes52

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostAkuma, on 01 May 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

I recently bought a CN9-D just to elite the Cent line; I didnt really think anything of it and I planned on just grinding through the basic exp skills. The mech really surprised me though, its fast and after tinkering with it in mechlab I have really come to enjoy running it. Fast enough to keep pace with most light mechs, aggressive and hits hard.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...75a8571c9c0fde6


Full armor and zero slots, well done! haha.

#37 Padic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostOp4blushift, on 01 May 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

I've found myself barely using any of my cents except my YLW since the missile nerf (The much loved 3SRM6 Cent-A has suffered quite a bit in particular). The change in focus to using poptarts and sniping from the last patch has also made using mediums feel kind of pointless since they can literally die in 2 shots from all those high alpha builds that can actually aim now thanks to HSR(for the most part anyway.) Maybe once SRMs have been fixed and HSR for missiles comes in I'll give them a spin again. Its simply too frustrating for me now since I always thought mediums in general were already a bit gimped and it feels like they've gotten the short end of the stick again.


I love my Centurion, but I do kind of agree with you on this. I feel like to make my Centurion sing like it used to, I spend a lot of time just hiding behind a rock, behind friendly lines, waiting for an opportunity to present itself. One big hit to my left shoulder really screws with how long I can brawl and what sort of risks I can take.

#38 Akuma

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostStokes52, on 01 May 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:


Full armor and zero slots, well done! haha.

And a half ton under weight...but what do I spend it on? I could remove FF armor and make space, but then Im out of tonnage to spend with open slots. I had a gauss rifle on it at one point but I think the AC10 is a better overall choice, esp since I am chasing light mechs a lot and am rarely, if ever, engaged at longer ranges.

#39 Padic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostAkuma, on 01 May 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

And a half ton under weight...but what do I spend it on? I could remove FF armor and make space, but then Im out of tonnage to spend with open slots. I had a gauss rifle on it at one point but I think the AC10 is a better overall choice, esp since I am chasing light mechs a lot and am rarely, if ever, engaged at longer ranges.


If you drop the AC10 for a UAC5, you can upgrade the engine to an XL325. A little bit faster and less stopping power per shot, but the shots will come way quicker (even without the double tap), and can reach out further..

#40 Akuma

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I've considered it, but its a steep price to pay to upgrade the engine. If I was going to do that, I would make sure I was running a build that took advantage of the 3 engine hs. Maybe since I'm technically only 49.47 tons, the XL300 can squeeze out another .5 kph. :huh:

Single UAC5 are lackluster, I feel they work better in pairs or ideally groups of 3. I like the dmg and cycle time on the AC10.

Edited by Akuma, 01 May 2013 - 04:00 PM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users