There's Too Many Forums.

Answered

4 replies to this topic

#1 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

This place reminds me of a free proboards account made by a 14 year old who thinks more forums = more users.

It really needs trimming down somewhat. I spend half my time wondering where a topic will be, or where i should post a topic, with most of the forums being so vague.

#2 jay35

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yep, it's pretty terrible. The lack of a general catchall News section where people can post and discuss the latest info coming out about MWO is the most absurd part about it. Way to kill the forums as the hub of your fanbase. PGI's concept of farming out communications to social media and moving to deny a centralized place for discussing the latest news about the product (outside of a locked subforum where a mod can post a news article and no commenting or new threads are allowed anymore) is pretty telling.

I swear it's like they can't help themselves but to screw things up, and it's frustrating as someone who's put a significant chunk of money into this game and wants more than anything to see it succeed.

The abysmal handling of the "announcement" yesterday, Bryan's twitter misadventures, the inability to address basic longstanding issues with the game, the denial of their most active and loyal fanbase (here, on the forums) to whom they'd do well to pay attention, game mode and map issues, or the haphazard and scatterbrained way they choose to communicate. It's like nobody at PGI understands marketing strategy or public relations. If they manage to succeed it will be desperately in spite of themselves. i still hope they do, but the actions they take are almost a constant barrage of face-palmings anymore.

They've basically just killed the one place passionate fans congregated to discuss the latest MWO news and announcements. While General Discussion was without question a QQ-filled and sanity-breaching experience at times, rather than acknowledge the decisions that led to that sort of response from the community, they apparently prefer to disband GD and sweep it all under the rug. Part of the prep for launch, don'tcha know...

Edited by jay35, 24 April 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#3 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I agree the General Forum served a useful purpose.

It gave a quick one stop shopping location for people who don't have the time or interest to dig through every sub-forum to find more detailed discussions. The current forum format just further discourages getting opinions from casual players.

#4 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I have no idea where to post, so ill post here now.

Hello!

#5 Elandyll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Frankly, what happened is pretty obvious.

The MWO defense brigade complained to PGI (well, at least that's their official excuse) that people that had [not good things to say] about the game were free to do so in the general section, and besides the too obvious mass banning of complainers the only other option was to explode the forums in a myriad of sub forums with very specific topics that would allow for rapid locking of "non positive" threads (notice how the only forum that is about feedback specifies "constructive"?).

Frankly, it is awful and not conducing to interaction between players and trust toward the MWO maker, but that's just continuing on the path of self destruction PGI has been on for a while now...
I have to admit I laughed at the amount of locked threads in the "hot links" topic forum.

Edited by Elandyll, 24 April 2013 - 08:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users