Please Resize The Centurion, Trebuchet, Stalker And Quickdraw

378 replies to this topic

Poll: Size? (1152 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI Reevaluate the size of their mechs

1. Yes (1037 votes [90.02%])

Percentage of vote: 90.02%

2. No (115 votes [9.98%])

Percentage of vote: 9.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

justice bump

#362 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

All battlemechs doesn't have a realistic weight ....cause it's just a game

M1A2: 68 short tons Length Hull length: 26.02 ft (7.93 m) Width 12 ft (3.66 m)[6] Height 8 ft (2.44 m)[6]

A jenner should have 120 - 150 tonns mass and same for one atlas arm ( shoulder included ) ... also well hard to say if battlemech design are connected with some reals measure like mass or density.

#363 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:14 AM

M1A2 examples are irrelevant, BT can use simple lighter materials.
What people want is constant volumn and density, what to not get it?

#364 0rionsbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

these mechs are obviously to large. It is in the lore that they are this size but this is a fps and size matters. so as they have modified other lore based elements to fit a fps they should modify mech size as well.

honestly assaults could be a bit bigger too.

#365 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

after reading all 19 pages, I must agree with the OP and say they need to be brought to the right size and mechs that need to be smaller and thous that need to be larger should be fixed.

#366 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:01 AM

Of all the medium mechs that need to be resized (down), the Shadowhawk is the greatest culprit of them all. This 55 ton mech is taller than a Cataphract FFS. It's on par with an Awesome too. A medium mech should NOT be taller than heavy and some assault mechs.

Comparing a Shadowhawk to a Hunchback is akin to Legolas and Gimly, respectively. (Huge apologies for the LOTR reference, but it's damn early in the morning.)

#367 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

View PostCaine2112, on 16 February 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

Of all the medium mechs that need to be resized (down), the Shadowhawk is the greatest culprit of them all. This 55 ton mech is taller than a Cataphract FFS. It's on par with an Awesome too. A medium mech should NOT be taller than heavy and some assault mechs.

Comparing a Shadowhawk to a Hunchback is akin to Legolas and Gimly, respectively. (Huge apologies for the LOTR reference, but it's damn early in the morning.)

Comparing a tall-but-lean 'Mech like the Shadow Hawk to a more-squat-but-more-stout 'Mechs like the Cataphract or Awesome, or comparing the tall/lean Trebuchet to the squat/stout Hunchback, would be similar to comparing the average basketball player (average height 6'7" (200.66 cm), average weight 218 lbs (98.88 kg); source) to the average sumo wrestler (average height 185 cm (6'1"), average weight 148 kg (326.28 lbs); source) - height alone does not necessarily correlate with (or necessarily serve as a good indicator of) body mass.

This is especially true of "hunched-over" 'Mechs like the Jenner, Raven, Catapult, Mad Cat, and Stalker, whose main bodies are substantially longer (front-to-back) than they are tall (top-to-torso-joint); such 'Mechs should generally be somewhat shorter (height-wise) than their "upright" brethren but be scaled so as to have (more-or-less, within ~5% or so) the same overall volume/displacement as an "upright" 'Mech of the same tonnage (and vice versa).

#368 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostCaine2112, on 16 February 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

How much weight Gimly and Legolas? Could be same, or Gimli could be heavier.
How tall it is, is irrelevant.
Only volumn and density are parameters here.

#369 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

Posted Image

Alright. Which one of my kidneys do i have to give to have this implemented?
The scale is absolutely brilliant. :wub:

#370 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostNeolisk, on 23 April 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Stalker does not have arm actuators - this is a major drawback from the other chassis you mentioned.

It does not need more nerfing.

this made me laugh far too hard.

#371 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

This thread has over 1000 votes with 90% voting in agreement.
The fact that i haven't seen anything that would show that PGI even looked at it or even cares about what we have to say about it (also, the fact that this is a post from 2 years ago, so more than enough time for them to at least consider what we're saying) is really disheartening.

#372 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Priorities man...priorities.

I think we as a community should start holding gladiator-style competitions to find those among us who've got the skills, knowledge, and ability to go work for PGI and help implement all the stuff that's piled onto their plates during the 2 years of IGP stagnation.

#373 Adamski

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

PGI already responded to this issue in Ask the Devs #42

They have since removed it from the website, but if you are lucky you might find a cached version somewhere.

Essentially the Art Director thinks some parts and some mechs are more dense than others,and nuts to gameplay and balance concerns.

#374 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostAdamski, on 26 March 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

PGI already responded to this issue in Ask the Devs #42

They have since removed it from the website, but if you are lucky you might find a cached version somewhere.

Essentially the Art Director thinks some parts and some mechs are more dense than others,and nuts to gameplay and balance concerns.

So basically that guy was dropped on his head as a baby?
Or is he just really bad at making excuses?

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 12 June 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#375 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Old post. I have made comments to this end MULPTILE times. The devs I believe said no. But I voted yes and we need to keep harping on this. Konving made a good point that the assaults are too big anyway and I kind of agree. Anyway. The meds that suffer the most need to be looked at first. The perfect sized meds such as blackjack, hunchback, vindicator being your medium reference.

#376 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 12 June 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Old post. I have made comments to this end MULPTILE times. The devs I believe said no. But I voted yes and we need to keep harping on this. Konving made a good point that the assaults are too big anyway and I kind of agree. Anyway. The meds that suffer the most need to be looked at first. The perfect sized meds such as blackjack, hunchback, vindicator being your medium reference.

Indeed. I'll keep harping about it as long as it takes. And if that doesn't work i'll sing about it.....and my singing voice is horrible enough to send most people running for their lives.

They say they have to redo the skeleton, mech model and textures for each mech that would get resized.
Well i'd say....So what? If you can make all these special skins for events and hero mechs you can instead fix the scaling of mechs that are downright crippled by size.

The longer they keep releasing mechs with this wonky scaling the more work they will have to redo.
If they decide that keeping the playerbase satisfied isn't a good thing then that's as far as they go in the game industry.

#377 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

Look at the stalker, look at how big the other mechs of that same weight class is, and exact weight.

Look at the Catapult, look how big it is and all the other mechs of it's weight class and it's weight exactly. (hint hint: this is the lightest heavy mech in game).

How about make the Catapult fookin smaller then make the Stalker taller please...

#378 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

At least the Catapult and Nova are getting some attention. There's really no excuse for them having slipped out the door so long ago in such bad shape, but that's some progress. Both of them were so grossly out of scale it's laughable; those stupid Catapult VCR box ears still blow my mind... biggest missile launchers in the game by far, and for no apparently reason whatsoever; it is as if they are filled with empty space - or maybe beer and bacon storage!

The Awesome still needs some help, too... but do so so many other mechs... ugh.

#379 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

Per the Town Hall, it sounds like they are finally going down the rabbit hole with mech scaling. As they test mechs, they are seeing how wildly variable the volumes are for each chassis. Sounds like over time, maybe 50% or more of the mechs will get a global re-scale to bring the volume more in line with where it needs to be. Russ also stated quirks will change when the mechs are re-scaled, so the Nova won't be nearly as tanky.

Anyway, most recent mechs seem pretty good, and I expect future releases will be scaled in a realistic fashion. Hopefully they fix the Catapult arms when they do Butterbee.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 03 February 2016 - 11:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users