Better Visual Aid For Off Map Strikes

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Better Visual Aid For Off Map Strikes (5 member(s) have cast votes)

would you like more visual information when calling in off map support?

1. yes (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. no (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Air and artillery strikes definitely need some work as far as their effectiveness goes, but my main complaint with them is their overall functionality and the lack of visual aid when calling them in. The smoke is nice, but it only pops once you have committed to the strike, so it's kind of worthless for visual aid. Personally, I would rather use the minimap, but if that's not an option, then I think first person strikes would benefit greatly from having the target zones highlighted in some way (like you would probably see in an RTS).

The only way I can picture it being implemented is if off map strikes change from the current fire and forget system to a two stage system.

I'm thinking something like:

Hit artillery button > use a cursor that is snapped to the terrain to confirm target location> artillery commences

...thoughts?

Edited by skullman86, 24 April 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#2 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Translation: It looks terrible. It's a bunch of AC2 rounds that magically appear from nowhere.

I think the feature should be pulled entirely until they can fix it. It needs better visuals, audio, upgrades (the upgrades WAY hurt it right now), and even functionality. It's a huge embarrassment to the game that MW4 Artillery Beacons seriously look better, in particular when you are talking a Crysis 3 engine game.

I still think was done by a single programer over a weekend. Both of them. And yes, programmer, because there's absolutely no new art assets aside from the red smoke.

I'm sorry to not pull punches here. Half the time I get accused of being a "PGI Defender" because I try to inject reason. But these things were so not ready for prime time.

Edited by Victor Morson, 25 April 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#3 Donas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 416 posts
  • Locationon yet another world looking for a Bar and Grill

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Interesting Idea. I like it.

I was also a bit disappointed by the visual effect of Arty and Air. They need to be tweaked functionally, since they are mostly useless now, and drastically tweaked visually. Hopefully thats all ready in the pipe.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users