Weapons.

23 replies to this topic

Poll: Weapons. (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we need more weapons?

1. Yes (13 votes [46.43%])

Percentage of vote: 46.43%

2. No (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. I dont know/ I dont care (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Ballistic weapons

1. Agree (13 votes [46.43%])

Percentage of vote: 46.43%

2. Disagree (11 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

3. I dont know (4 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

SSRM

1. Agree (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. Disagree (20 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. I dont Know (3 votes [10.71%])

LRM

1. Agree (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Disagree (18 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

3. I dont know (3 votes [10.71%])

Beam weapons

1. Agree (11 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

2. Disagree (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. I dont know (3 votes [10.71%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hi. Sorry, maybe it was a mistake to put all my suggestions into one topic, but IMHO its better.

First of all I want to ask You - do we have enoth weapons to be happy? To compare just run MW4:Mercs - there are much more weapons, so much more ways to customise and set up u're own unique 'mech. For me, and im sure for most of MW fans, customising 'mech and playing with ther loadouts are 60% of any MW game fun. At the moment I have (only) 6 'mechs in my mechbay and they use 60-80% of existing weapons - no more fun to customise ;((

So, when Im asking for more weapons lets take a look at the existing ones.
Autocannons.
My suggestion is make 3 types of any AC - standart, ultra and LB. For example:
AC-N1
weight: W
slots used: S
fire speed: F
damage: D
range: R
UAC-N1
weight: more then W
slots used: more then S
fire speed: more then F
damage: more then D
range: less then R
LB-AC-N1
weight: less then W
slots used: less then S
fire speed: F
damage: D (depends on pullets that hit its target and range)
range: R
Missles.
While im happy with current SRMs, I feel LRM and SSRM are unbalanced.
LRMs.
For now I have HGN with 3xLRM15 and when im playing it I feel myself like im at DRG with single one LRM10 - ther damage are too low...Stop cry about "LRM are owerpowered" - its true only for lights, other 'mechs can eat 4-5 with of those my LRMs before i can note any unarmored location. 4 hits with 3xLRM15 to take heavy or assault 'mech armor out! Come on - beam weapons can do same damage into TARGETED location much more faster, weigh less and has no ammo (that can make it own "boom" when got hitted). Compare beam weapons and LRM to see the difference. "Oh my god thore LRM-boats killing my CDA/RVN/SPD/so on with 5 hits!!" - rly, not less, ofc if u have some armor - my spider can eat 3-4 salvos and stay combat effective... And when light 'mech got hit with long range weapons - its piloting fail.
SSRM.
Oh god...SSRMs are most unbalanced weapons for now - only 1 type but still are too easy to use and annonying. Why so? Becouse we can call SSRM "light 'mechs weapons" - 95% of SSRM users are lights with ECM. Does it take any skill to run around and press 1 button when urs enemy cant even target you well?.. NO! I suggest few things: at first and SSRM4 and SSRM6: at secound - increase SSRM slots usage - for example SSRM2 must take 3 slots instead 1, SSRM4 - 5 slots and SSRM6 - 7 (yes, 7) slots. We will get few things after it - lights will use 1-2 SSRM instead current 3-4 and SSRM4/6 will be used by other 'mech pilots (heavy and assault can use 2xSSRM6 for example and its ok).
Beam weapons.
Just few words - "im happy with it as it is". "PPC holywar" is pointless - its one of most devastating weapons awailable, and all those 4+PPC-boats so easy to kill...For me dual AC20 are much worse then 4PPC - its owners are more fast and manuvrable.

Thanks for reading, im done for now. Sorry for possible mistakes etc :(

Edited by MGA121285, 25 April 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#2 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

It's350, so no LBX or ultras besidesthose we already have. same goes for heavier SSRM models. And youdon´t even have a sugestion for LRMs.

The only canon friendly way for more weapon diversity would be ammo types, especially with LRMs

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

I voted No across the board. Ballistics will come as they arrive in the time line. As for the rest call me old fashion but we have enough whining with balance as is.

#4 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Timeline is good thing, but playing with 5 types of AC and 5 types of missles isnt funny. At the moment game isnt even half good as MW4 becouse of this... :D

Edited by MGA121285, 25 April 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I played the game for 9 years with the weapons we have now (+ER Medium). Had 9 years worth of fun too.

#6 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

we just need more usable weapons for now...

for example the LBX MG Flamer etc are not being used

Edited by Tennex, 25 April 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#7 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostTennex, on 25 April 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

For the ..whatevers time, MGs are not supposed to be used against mechs in the first place.

Flamers are though, they need more heat generation for the target.

#8 Macheiron

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 86 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm really looking forward to getting things like Light Autocannons, and the Light PPC. Also MRMs but those are OP. :)
However, they aren't here yet, and maybe we can move them up a bit, but not a decade.

View PostTheodor Kling, on 25 April 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

For the ..whatevers time, MGs are not supposed to be used against mechs in the first place.

Flamers are though, they need more heat generation for the target.

Where are you getting your information? MGs do 2 damage per turn to ALL targets in TT. That means they are capable of dealing damage to standard (and FF) mech armor! This also means they deal approximately the same damage as an AC/2, at significantly shorter range.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostTennex, on 25 April 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

These were weapons I didn't use while having a ton of fun. Yes they need some work, but that doesn't mean there isn't fun without them.

View PostMacheiron, on 25 April 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

I'm really looking forward to getting things like Light Autocannons, and the Light PPC. Also MRMs but those are OP. :)
However, they aren't here yet, and maybe we can move them up a bit, but not a decade.

Where are you getting your information? MGs do 2 damage per turn to ALL targets in TT. That means they are capable of dealing damage to standard (and FF) mech armor! This also means they deal approximately the same damage as an AC/2, at significantly shorter range.

I do not want a 0.5 ton weapon that does 4 damage per second without heat and at least 5.5 more tons!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 25 April 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#10 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

I have to disagree, we are going to get those weapons in time.

The Machine Gun, LBX, and Flamer does need some tweaks to be more inline to what they are suppose to be, critical seekers and heat manipulation.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostZyllos, on 25 April 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

I have to disagree, we are going to get those weapons in time.

The Machine Gun, LBX, and Flamer does need some tweaks to be more inline to what they are suppose to be, critical seekers and heat manipulation.

With exception of the LB-X which is supposed to be a dual purpose AC.

#12 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostMacheiron, on 25 April 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

True they do dmg. But long range 3 hexes means (especialy with BTs accuracy problems, but those do not factor in that much ingame) not hitting anything beyond 90m, already next to nothing beyond about 40m. A rangewhere you better go for melee anyway. Also not ingame :)
And they do have that nice multiplier when mowing down infantry copared to other weapons. Andaside from pure rules, they are mostly build into mechs that are made for policing, anti infantry or urban combat duties.

#13 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 25 April 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

With exception of the LB-X which is supposed to be a dual purpose AC.

Actually all ACs can load shot, LB-X are just better at it, and lighter if I remember correctley. But without multiple ammo types and bin switching this is moot.

Back to MGs: Yes they are great as crit seekers:)

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

That didn't come till the 3070s or late 60s.

#15 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostMGA121285, on 25 April 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Timeline is good thing, but playing with 5 types of AC and 5 types of missiles isn't funny. At the moment game isn't even half good as MW4 because of this... :D

If you strip the Clan weapons out of the "original MW4", you pretty much get what we have now. :)

#16 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 25 April 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

That didn't come till the 3070s or late 60s.

What? Shot ammo for AC? I think that is actually 3025 tech already. The other interesting AC types are mostly introduced during the 3060s I think.
LB-X cluster ammo is different in that it is also for anti mech use, where regular AC bundle shot is more for light armour/infantry. If I remember correctley.

Speaking about ammo: I want Infernos. Try ERPPC sniping when you get hit by a LRM 20 salvo of those :D .
Thunder LRM would also be nice, or Swarm I ( Swarm II is still to far away in timeline)

View PostMaddMaxx, on 25 April 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

If you strip the Clan weapons out of the "original MW4", you pretty much get what we have now. :)

Yep. That´s because Mercenaries is FedCom civil war, and by that time some fun new toys where availble. Especially RACs

Edited by Theodor Kling, 25 April 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#17 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

LRMs are still underpowered. but mostly because of accuracy issued. I'm getting about 40 dam/ton right now (up from 23 befor the last two patches.) I think the flighgt speed needs to be at least doubled. as it is you can take a shot or two and then casually walk out of the lof. they are better but no right yet.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostTheodor Kling, on 25 April 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

What? Shot ammo for AC? I think that is actually 3025 tech already. The other interesting AC types are mostly introduced during the 3060s I think.
LB-X cluster ammo is different in that it is also for anti mech use, where regular AC bundle shot is more for light armour/infantry. If I remember correctley.

Speaking about ammo: I want Infernos. Try ERPPC sniping when you get hit by a LRM 20 salvo of those :) .
Thunder LRM would also be nice, or Swarm I ( Swarm II is still to far away in timeline)

I was more talking about things like precision ammo and flechette ammo than LB-X slugs.

#19 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

All but the ballistic weapons have small to heavy weapons.

The ballistics r missing a light AC. The Ac2 is to heavy and hot and the Mg is a joke, somthing in between would be nice.

One could argue lasers dont go heavy enough but there rof and damage and lack of needing ammo kinda makes up for that, i guess u could argue for 'heavy' lasers, though i cant recall the lore behind when they were introduced timeline wise.

SSRM's should eventually get higher version once clans r involved.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 25 April 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#20 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Heavy Lasers are late 3060s clan tech as far as I recall. And by then there are also MMLs and ATMs. That´s when you realy start to fear missile boats :)

And yes ballistics are heavier, and harder to aim at that due to limited projectile speed. But they generate less heat then energy weaps, often got greater range and a concentrated punch. Something everything else (exeption PPC) lacks.
Plus the irritating rocking effect on the target. Ever been hit by a Jaegermech with quad AC2s on chainfire? Takes a while to get through the armour but it is not nice.
Now imagine getting to the 3060s and him mounted triple, or with a small engine maybe quad, RAC2s :D

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users