Do Not Peek :)

10 replies to this topic

#1 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

I see way too many folks who like to peek over ridges by themselves ... like each mech on the team takes a turn watching their buddies get shot up so they have to do the same thing too. What happens when you do this is that you shoot one person and four people shoot you. Keep that up and you will die and your team will lose. The ideal situation is to do damage to the opposing team without taking any damage yourself ... if that isn't possible then the damage needs to be spread around.

So ...

1) Try to walk around the END of ridges instead of going over ... this usually limits the number of opponents that can fire at one time ... at least if you are paying attention and don't walk too far.

2) Coordinate (I know this one is hard :) ) ... movement so that several mechs pop up simultaneously ... usually the opponents will fire at different mechs IF you pop up at the same time ... on the other hand, if you have all agreed to hit one mech as you go over then you will be much more effective.

Bottom line ... don't peek without friends ... it is bad :)

#2 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Ahhh, but what about mechs that have their weapons mounted high on the torso? They peek, fire, then retreat. It's like poptarting, but without the jumpjets.

#3 Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostXenosphobatic, on 26 April 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Ahhh, but what about mechs that have their weapons mounted high on the torso? They peek, fire, then retreat. It's like poptarting, but without the jumpjets.

I believe that's called Ridge-humping

#4 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostXenosphobatic, on 26 April 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

That doesn't matter that much. Even if it's only your head peering over the ridge, it's still 6-8 mechs on their side waiting for your one head. Not sure how much firepower you're carrying, but I don't like your odds.

Mawai is actually 100% right. The single biggest mistake I see PUGs make is to run or peek over a ridge one mech at a time. That just give the opposing force much more opportunity to focus fire you to death.

Stay with your team. Run over together. Try to bait them over to your side. Try going around the ridge. But do not make yourself the single target of all enemy fire. :ph34r:

#5 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Always seem to loose a few guys this way. You would think they would learn.

#6 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I think the solution to this is to nerf all weapons into the ground, and ban the simultaneous use of multiple weapons. </end sarcasm>

Seriously, I'm a crap solo PUGer, and even I know ridge running/peaking/humping is certain death. Yet I see so many people do it, and I've even seen a few of those people complaining on the forums about how the game needs to be "fixed" to prevent this abusive behavior. I won't name names, but it's amusingly ironic, to say the least.

#7 AnubiteGroove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I second the OP.

#8 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I agree 100% with the OP... well , almost :P

View PostHighTest, on 26 April 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

But do not make yourself the single target of all enemy fire. ;)

There is however one notable exception: you pilot something small, fast, and most importantly well, and are doing this specifically to **** off the enemy. Still not a recommended tactic, but in this single situation it can be amazingly effective. ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 28 April 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#9 AnubiteGroove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostZerberus, on 28 April 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

I agree 100% with the OP... well , almost ;)

There is however one notable exception: you pilot something small, fast, and most importantly well, and are doing this specifically to **** off the enemy. Still not a recommended tactic, but in this single situation it can be amazingly effective. :P

In most cases, it's heavies and assaults who peak on a firing line as if they have a chance. I wish it weren't so.

Something else I don't like is when the above is combined with digging in. Where a team idles a spot where they have a view of an enemy, and never leave.

#10 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

^^ I`m exactly the other way, I love it when they dig in, because that just makes them that much easier to find and flank. If I`m in my DDC and can get ther without dying, they`re essentially as good as dead :huh:

#11 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users