Mechwarrior games are not a representation of the table top...

475 replies to this topic

#401 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

I suspect the team that did MA or was it MA2 thought they were doing some armored core game that someone then reskinned some units (if even that) and edited some text and slapped the battletech title on it

seriously mechs do not even have "cores"

sure there is a slang joke about a mech getting "cored" as in apple cored or turned into a doughnut (ie the center torso destroyed with little to no significant damage to other locations, but sigh.

if we are going to be 100% honest a mechwarrior game is technically not a represenitive of the tabletop .... in the sense that the tabletop is a "beer and pretzles" strategy game of armored combat in the 31'st century

mechwarrior is a simulation game of armored combat in the 31'st century.

but a key point is a simulation is NOT necessarally a first person shooter. To be clear many of the previous mechwarrior games actually played as or like a 1st person shooter which is something that has always bugged me a bit.

what I would love to see is a multi part game, IE part mmorpg, part sim, part strategy game, but I suspect that model might be rather "nitch"

to clarify my idea
you make an avatar, who is your mechwarrior, tech, vech commander or whatever charactor, this char can run around and do things. that is the RPG aspect

strategy portion you do base designing/upgrading, theater of operations planning, raids, infrastructure building, whatever all designed around making your faction stronger, or your opponants factions weaker

sim, hop into your combat units and go duke it out on the battlefield doing a mission, offensive, defensive, raiding, CTF, whatever

#402 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

View PostStarkiller, on 15 November 2011 - 05:37 AM, said:

Hate to do it to you, but it was not the first on a console. Several titles were on Sega, NES, SNES and others back in the day. As far as neckbeard, yes he is, but someone has to educated the uneducated masses of gamers that think WoW invented the internets!

Some think that it is the first MMO and such.
Which is wasn't.
Wasn't even first the graphical MMO (Neverwinter Nights was, the 1991 one).
Dunno how it compares with popularity with other MMOs, though.

#403 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

View PostT.S. Hawk, on 12 November 2011 - 10:52 PM, said:

Ok that I can understand and in some way can agree with too.

Thank you, Hawk, for reading the post again.

#404 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

View PostStarkiller, on 13 November 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

Your friends weren't playing Battletech then.

Well, I assumed the dice to be similar, but boy did you sure nail me good there. Wow, I sure have been told. Man, I am glad you straightened me out on that one.

Fail.

#405 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 15 November 2011 - 08:37 AM, said:

Well, I assumed the dice to be similar, but boy did you sure nail me good there. Wow, I sure have been told. Man, I am glad you straightened me out on that one.

Fail.

Yes, we all know you fail. You obviously know nothing about TT rules and spout to be an expert on how bad they are. Sit down and learn something.

#406 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

View PostStarkiller, on 15 November 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

Yes, we all know you fail. You obviously know nothing about TT rules and spout to be an expert on how bad they are. Sit down and learn something.

You are a funny little man.

By the way, "neckbeard"...that's pretty good. I have to say, that is real creativity.

For the record, I am a pretty clean shaven man.

Edited by Red Beard, 15 November 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#407 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

View PostTsen Shang, on 14 November 2011 - 11:41 PM, said:

Because MechAssault was the first Battletech mutant game released on a console, which is far more accessible than a gaming computer to most people.

Starkiller, he's a troll. Just ignore him.

**** me, the "be nice to people or I will cry about it on the forum" police are here.

#408 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

Funny, yep, not so little though. Neckbeard has nothing to do with shaving, lol. Be any of that as it may, you still have been proven wrong about knowing anything about TT rules so just sit back and learn from those that do!

#409 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

View PostStarkiller, on 15 November 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

Yes, we all know you fail.

Hold on, I am a "fail" because I do not know which dice are rolled in an antiquated table top game? Simmer down youngster.

You obviously know nothing about TT rules and spout to be an expert on how bad they are.

I never once claimed to be an expert on the BT rules. I am not sure how you came to that dumb **** of a conclusion. Nor have I EVER said that they are bad. I have only ever commented that I believe that that rule set has no place in a VIDEO GAME. If you are going to attempt to insult me and berate me, please get some of your facts in line, and/or read more of what I have posted.

Sit down and learn something.

I am all ears when somebody who says something in the line of intelligence or common sense starts to pipe up. So far, you are zero for three. Well, I give you a half point for the neckbeard thing. I am gonna get a good laugh out of that all day today. Cheers on that one.

#410 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 15 November 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

Hold on, I am a "fail" because I do not know which dice are rolled in an antiquated table top game? Simmer down youngster.

I never once claimed to be an expert on the BT rules. I am not sure how you came to that dumb **** of a conclusion. Nor have I EVER said that they are bad. I have only ever commented that I believe that that rule set has no place in a VIDEO GAME. If you are going to attempt to insult me and berate me, please get some of your facts in line, and/or read more of what I have posted.

I am all ears when somebody who says something in the line of intelligence or common sense starts to pipe up. So far, you are zero for three. Well, I give you a half point for the neckbeard thing. I am gonna get a good laugh out of that all day today. Cheers on that one.

Get your facts straight, TT is more current than any MW video game, they are still producing content. Again, you are making comments you know something about TT rules when you clearly don't by saying they have no place in a video game when the most beloved BT video game was made from them.

So, before you try and get all upity and failing even more take yourself a chill pill, I haven't berrated you yet. Sit back and learn something youngster!

#411 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostStarkiller, on 15 November 2011 - 08:55 AM, said:

Funny, yep, not so little though.

Tall or fat?

Neckbeard has nothing to do with shaving, lol.

Ah...ok.

Be any of that as it may, you still have been proven wrong about knowing anything about TT rules so just sit back and learn from those that do!

Um...besides the dice thing, show me where I have been "schooled". And, in the end it really does not matter. I have never tried to display any knowledge of the TT rules, nor do I care to. This thread was NOT made with the intention of educating anyone on the TT rules, but as a way for those that believe that those rules do not belong in this VIDEO GAME to express themselves. Honestly, it is like you are arguing against yourself here Starkiller. And you are winning, I think.

#412 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

How can you commment on something you know nothing about? Really, you say the rules have no place in a video game, when the best video games made of BT are based on those rules. Seriously, let it rest, you lost.

Maybe I meant long and wide! :)

#413 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

View PostStarkiller, on 15 November 2011 - 09:06 AM, said:

Again, you are making comments you know something about TT rules when you clearly don't by saying they have no place in a video game when the most beloved BT video game was made from them.

You think that me commenting that the TT rules do not belong in MWO is, in any way, trying to display some knowledge of those rules? Odd.

I haven't berrated you yet. Sit back and learn something youngster!

All in one simple statement, you both insult me, by calling me a "youngster" and you claim to have not berrated me, forgetting that you are the one who called me neckbeard. Honestly, I hope we meet on the battlefield. I can tell you will be an EASY kill.

#414 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

View PostStarkiller, on 15 November 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

How can you commment on something you know nothing about? Really, you say the rules have no place in a video game, when the best video games made of BT are based on those rules.

The BEST VIDEO GAMES? Easy there big fella. That is just an opinion. First off, I will NEVER think of the MW games on the PC as a VIDEO GAME. They ain't. They are TT RPG simulators, not VIDEO GAMES. Talk about not knowing what you are saying, wow. In MY opinion, the best games in the BT series are the MA games. That's just my opinion. They barely even gave a passing glance to the TT rules, and with good reason. The TT rules DO NOT BELONG IN A VIDEO GAME.

Seriously, let it rest, you lost.

Saying that till you are blue in the face makes it have more effect. Give it a try.

Maybe I meant long and wide! :)

Not bad, my girthful friend, not bad.

I will take back my "loser" comment. Anyone who can toss back and forth like this is worth a bit of salt.

#415 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 15 November 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

The BEST VIDEO GAMES? Easy there big fella. That is just an opinion. First off, I will NEVER think of the MW games on the PC as a VIDEO GAME. They ain't. They are TT RPG simulators, not VIDEO GAMES. Talk about not knowing what you are saying, wow. In MY opinion, the best games in the BT series are the MA games. That's just my opinion. They barely even gave a passing glance to the TT rules, and with good reason. The TT rules DO NOT BELONG IN A VIDEO GAME.

Saying that till you are blue in the face makes it have more effect. Give it a try.

Not bad, my girthful friend, not bad.

I will take back my "loser" comment. Anyone who can toss back and forth like this is worth a bit of salt.

Maybe you should look up the definition of video game, sims are video games, seriously. MA IS TERRIBAD. Put up a poll and find out what the community says, MPBT 3025 is the BEST BT video. I have never seen ANYONE that played it say differently. Again, you lose bra, go play some more MA, ROFL. Also, MA is NOT a BT game, so please do not reference it as one.

#416 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 15 November 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

You think that me commenting that the TT rules do not belong in MWO is, in any way, trying to display some knowledge of those rules? Odd.

All in one simple statement, you both insult me, by calling me a "youngster" and you claim to have not berrated me, forgetting that you are the one who called me neckbeard. Honestly, I hope we meet on the battlefield. I can tell you will be an EASY kill.

If you know nothing about the TT rules and are making comments about them, that makes you a bigger fool than you already appear to be. Actually stating someones age frame is not an insult, it is a statement of fact. Far as neckbeard, I didn't call you that, just repeated what a previous poster called ya, but I thought it was hillarious.

#417 Kurios

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Or, random idea. Give them their pinpoint accuracy... But give them a separate target cursor for each gun. That attempts to track to your aiming cursor.But each one jitters, has its own traverse rate, ect, ect, so they never line up perfectly, unless your sitting completely still... (and not really moving your aim). So think aiming the minigun on a flight sim. You've seen that aiming cursor at work before. Now imagine having 5 or 6 of them :)

#418 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

View PostStarkiller, on 15 November 2011 - 09:24 AM, said:

If you know nothing about the TT rules and are making comments about them, that makes you a bigger fool than you already appear to be. Actually stating someones age frame is not an insult, it is a statement of fact. Far as neckbeard, I didn't call you that, just repeated what a previous poster called ya, but I thought it was hillarious.

I take back my take back. You are a loser. You have no clue what you are saying. Back to topic.

#419 Glare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts
  • LocationAtreus

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

Cool it everybody.

Redbeard: Ad hominems are never appropriate. That said, having little to no working knowledge of the rules while arguing vehemently against their inclusion is a little... short-sighted. At least have the decency of conversation to research what you're yelling about before yelling about it.

Same goes for you on the ad homs, Starkiller.

What I wouldn't give for real mods in these topics.

#420 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'd like the remainder of this thread be done in rap battle, with people calling eachother "son" at the end of each rhyme sequence please.

I can tell yer both Sucka MCs.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users