#1 Smiffy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hey Guys,

I am a game design student, and a huge battletech fan. so recently I have started a side project where I am applying my 3D modeling skills to create a few models of 'mechs in a modular fashion with different looking interchangeable pieces (like torso sections and arms). then taking these pieces and printing them out with a 3D printer to make Battletech models. this is what I have so far.

Posted Image
It is a dragon, with no feet... I am going to scale the arms and legs a bit i think but yeah
Posted Image
here is a look at some of the torso pieces.

the going plan is to make several pieces so that you can make your own custom dragon with visual wepon loadouts that fit with your custom BT record sheets.

Anyhow this is an ongoing side project, and is purely for my own use, I am not looking to sell these models. purely a vainity project.

Cheers.

#2 GRIMM11

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Now I used to do some 3D graphic design in school, and by the looks of it you are making this purely from your memory, and I know for me I sucked *** when I created models like that, especially intricately designed ones. Try taking some photos from a battletech technical book and scanning them into your 3D software, and use it as sort of a trace for specific parts. From there you can make it unique but you would at least get a basis for the part without making it look like it was meant for lego island 3.

#3 Smiffy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm working off of some refference images. taking inspiration from them rather than trying to replicate them. also I am trying to make 28mm scale model pieces, so some of the things have to look alittle exaggerated/cartooney. Gotta add some more dteails still, hopefully it will make it work better.

#4 Smiffy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hey guys, here is a rescale I worked on today. I downsized the CT and LT. Aswell as shortened the upper arm and scaled up the lower arm. as a result of the rescale I have to make a new set of torso pieces with diferent "hard point" layouts but such is life.

Posted Image

Cheers.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users