Mech creation mode?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Vasconcellos

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

Will there be a fixed set of Mechs available or will we have the option to develop/create new Mechs, just like I used to to on my Amiga with MechForce?

I loved creating new Mechs and trying them out of the battlefield.

A research facility option would be awesome :)

#2 Zephemus

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Central Florida

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:05 AM

Would be interesting. Though I could see how it would be harder to balance.

#3 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:42 AM

Creation: I hope not. Unless you can own a 'Mech factory, it wouldn't make sense.

Customization: I'm okay with that as long as it is expensive, time consuming, and is the exception rather than the norm.

As I said in another post, anyone can make a better 'Mech than the stock 'Mechs, the challenge is in using the 'Mech you're issued to its fullest - and then save up for a new 'Mech (or for customizing your current 'Mech).

#4 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

View PostZephemus, on 08 November 2011 - 04:05 AM, said:

Would be interesting. Though I could see how it would be harder to balance.

Same thought. The programmers can´t think every possibility and people are very innovative when it comes to finding "glitches" or "tricks". There will be boating...

#5 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

Stock mechs with stock variants.

Hope modifications are an option...but a pricy one.

No custom builds...please.

#6 Hunter McGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Location#7 Hiring Hall Tower. 3, Harlech City, Outreach

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hmmm...

Stock 'Mechs for purchase. With modifications as you see fit, but you will need to pay for it with C-bills and time. Less so if you decide to purchase a high end Mech lab with technician crew.

Please, not realistic to create your own, unless you have billions (Yes that is a B there.) of spare C-bills just for the research and design team.

I would dearly love for them to institute hire-able Technicians for field repairs and modifications.

Guess since I am wishing here... Just institute the Mechwarrior 3rd edition RPG book for Character creation, and then add in Field Manual Mercenaries for contracts and field repairs. Simple huh? ROFLMAO

Do your best guys. We will be proud as long as you even get close.

And honestly, if you created your own 'Mech, then someone would have to design the graphics for that new monster. I don't think that's even a viable option. But if you have individual modification like the actual RPG and table top game, just take a chassis you like and build what you want with it through modifications, using the standard graphic.

#7 Vasconcellos

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

I'm not talking about a 100% customized mech, but rather an original chassis, where you choose what size engine to put, amount of heat sinks, armor, weapons, jump jets, etc.
Each with limits/minimum.

Eg . In MechForce I made a 50 ton speedy mech with no weapons and just fast engine, jump jets and armor.
It was supposed to be very fast and then jump/circle around enemies and then kick/punch them to kingdom come.

#8 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:45 AM

I'm all for you taking a 50 ton chassis that is quick. Like a Chameleon or Nightsky and modding it to do just what you want.

I'm not excited about players making original designs.

I'm guessing there are about 200 canon mech chassis in the Battletech universe that the devs could make. Not counting the 3-4 variants for most of them.

#9 Mali ki

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOut in the Ether

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

I agree with using the normal mechs and then customizing them or using a varient thats is already in the books :)

#10 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

View PostRangerRob, on 08 November 2011 - 06:45 AM, said:

I'm guessing there are about 200 canon mech chassis in the Battletech universe that the devs could make. Not counting the 3-4 variants for most of them.

I'm guessing at a lot more than just 200 different chassis.
A quick count on sarna (which doesn't include the newest sources unti 2 months after release/print).
Light 'Mechs: 17+23+35+35=110 Chassis
Medium 'Mechs: 34+29+33+41=137 Chassis
Heavy 'Mechs: 32+31+28+39=130 Chassis
Assault 'Mechs: 24+22+20+17+26=109 Chassis
Total: 486.

Adding a few of the latest sources would probably bring that up to 500 (TRO: Prototypes, Wars of Reaving, JIhad: Final Reckoning, Historical: Reunification War, Era Digest: Age of War).
Adding all the variants would up that to over 2000.

Also, the FAQ mentions that customisation will be in.

Edited by Alizabeth Aijou, 08 November 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#11 Nakir

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationItaly (Sicily)

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

nooooooooooo what bad idea !!!!This is not "Chrome Hounds" !!! I want play only with original mechs.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Start with out of the book variants, as the game progresses and you claim salvage, mod away as long as you have the money to pay for it.

#13 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

According to the FAQ you won't be able to change armor or weapons which i think is a bad idea.

#14 Rogal Dorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTennessee USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

Yeah coding a way to make brand new mechs would probably not be cost-effective for a F2P model

#15 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

View PostBlack Sunder, on 08 November 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

According to the FAQ you won't be able to change armor or weapons which i think is a bad idea.

Actually, from what I gathered from the FAQ, you can change weapons.

Q. Will I be able to fully customize my Mechs' load out, decals, paint job, and equipment?
A. You will be able to customize your load out, decals, paint job and equipment. But when it comes to armor, weapons and accessories please refer to the previous question and answer.

#16 Rogal Dorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTennessee USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

I couldn't ever find a previous question and answer. Any idea what it said?

#17 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

As for customization, I think MW2: Mercs did that pretty good, it took a small amount of money for every edit you made, but it stacked up really quickly. I think it would be great if you could acquire a base for your merc company/clan/whathaveyou and that would be necessary for 'mech modifications. As for entirely new mechs, it would be cool if you could pay real money to use a very limited polymodel editor, but anything other than just for looks would be pretty lame.

#18 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

View PostRogal Dorn, on 08 November 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

I couldn't ever find a previous question and answer. Any idea what it said?

"You will be able to customize your load out".
Sounds to me like you can change your weapons.

#19 FlystreesVagann

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

Build ? No.

Customize ? I hope so,would love to paint it in some unique way hehe.

#20 Causa Davion

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

I would like to be able to modify my mechs but it would require access to a mechlab, and the cost of the individual modifications would be offset by the quality of the mechlab you have access to.

Like certain jobs would take longer / cost more if you had a poor work area / equipment.

The mech lab could be buyable or it could be based on rank in a House etc etc, depending on if the character is a mercenary, house member, whoever they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users