Spider 5V: What Can You Do?

60 replies to this topic

#41 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostJay Z, on 03 May 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Try this out SDR-5V This is probably the most manoeuvrable mech in the game and can literally fly with 12JJ. Add in Capture Accelerator and Advanced Sensor Range/Target Gathering modules and then you have an amazing scout/recon mech.

Drop one of the MLs for a TAG and that's the spec I ran for getting my 5V through Basic. It won't kill anything (5 kills in 34 matcher), but it will rack up the spotting/TAGging bonuses quite nicely. And it had a 1.43 WLR.

#42 Shadowhunter99

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have all three spiders and each one has a different play style/purpose. for this spider I have 2 med lazers, a standard engine (the biggest) and no armor on my side torsos and arms. this lets me have more tonnage for ct, legs and head armor. I use this mech as a brawler and I don't have to be afraid of loosing a component. one thing that I always do is put some jump jets in my legs so I can still jump when I loose my side torsos.

#43 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostVincian, on 02 May 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

Same here.

I use a Large Pulse Laser and do it around 200 dmg per game. That leads to 400Xp in the best case, so its a long nightmare to master the 5D.

Why on gods green earth would you ever master a 5V?

Edited by Vodrin Thales, 08 October 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#44 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Erlarge laser and took advantage of the jump capabilities to get high on towers and sniped while calling targets, thankfully I got it mastered back when the maps were more limited and I had a good place on each one to do it.

#45 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

The 5V is the worst 'Mech in the game. I couldn't stand it and had to use GXP.

To all of the 5K haters out there - it's really not bad at all. An ERLL in the CT with 4MGs - you can harass from a distance with the ERLL and then go in for component destructions and kills with the MGs - I've had some damn good games in the 5K and average about 300 damage in it (which isn't great, but isn't bad). If you get enough component destructions you can actually wrack up an ess-load of XP and C-Bills.

Edited by DEMAX51, 08 October 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#46 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

My advice is...buy it, use GXP to complete all the basics, then sell it. Not worth the time to play with IMO.

If you want a decent build, try this:
SDR-5V

You have to torso twist like mad to take damage on your side torsos and pray they don't go for your legs.

Tip: You don't actually need a max size engine nor 12 JJ's (in fact, your heat will thank you if you only go with 8)

Edited by ohtochooseaname, 08 October 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#47 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hello,
I agree with Demax51. 5V was the worst mech to level. The 5k though will do fine. I ran mine with ERLlaser 3machine guns 1ton ammo. I had xl255 and 2 JJ max armour and anti-missile system. Would snipe from distance until I saw enemy red then close to get component damage. I did rather well. That with spotting and make sure you hit every mech for kill assist bonus. It also helps to play conquest instead of assault to get cap bonus. Now 5V was a pain and I gave up half way through elite and used GXP to finish it. If you are almost done with basics and don,t need elite just hang in there.

#48 Vincian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

You misread my post. Try again! :(

As you could have seen, I spoke of the Spider 5D. To master this Variant you need to level the other variants to basic or elite.

View PostVodrin Thales, on 08 October 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Why on gods green earth would you ever master a 5V?

#49 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

This is the worst mech in the game. Best I did at exp was just hiding and tagging. That got too boring so I eventually just bought it up with GXP then sold the thing.

#50 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

you need to master running jump shots -- it is what this mech excels at...

#51 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostMycrus, on 09 October 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

you need to master running jump shots -- it is what this mech excels at...

My spider 5V has always been a great team player, excelling at scouting/capping/harrasing. I make by my team mates time and space by being a pain to enemy mechs. Often times this will give you an opportunity or two to make a kill. :)

In 110 matches it has 60 kills 1.18 KDR and 1.35 W/L ratio, standing still = dead.. usually. :)

5V

#52 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

With the Spider-5V I can fly. You can't do that with any other mech.

#53 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 09 October 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

With the Spider-5V I can fly. You can't do that with any other mech.

Spiders have little wings that are hilarious too :lol: screw around in third person for awhile watch them open and close as you jump jet around.

#54 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

Would you rather take BAP+2xML+12JJ or BAP+2MPL+8JJ?

#55 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 10 October 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

Would you rather take BAP+2xML+12JJ or BAP+2MPL+8JJ?

Its a bit of a trade off, the 2 pulse lasers beam duration allows you less face time on target, but requires you to get closer.

The Medium Lasers give you longer beam duration with more range.

Either way BAP doesn't truly help this mech much, try out both builds see what you like best.

I use 11 JJ on my 5V with the 2 Medium Pulse usually doing small air raids around the enemy (shooting from the sky while JJ over them). This tactic gets the enemy dancing almost every time. :(

#56 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

The 5K and 5V exist for one purpose: to have two more variants so you can get the 5D to elite. To get the master level, I recommend Jenners if you don't already own lights (because in all seriousness the "lousy" Jenner-K is still a top-5 light mech).

I limped them both through basic without any upgrades (already owning the XL255 for the 5D, I just swapped it around) exploiting "first win of the day." It took about 10 days. I managed a K/D of .8 with the 5V (16 matches) and .85 with the 5K (19 matches) and then sold them without hesitation or remorse. And this from a guy stubbornly holding onto his 2X/4X Ravens who learned to play in Commandos. I know bad. These mechs are bad (and the 5V is the worse of the two).

S

#57 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

With torso-mounted lasers on a light, they really need to be pulse (ER Large excepted, since you are likely sniping a lot). So I go with XL 255, 12 JJ, and 2 medium pulse lasers. If you drop jump jets you can fit in a large pulse laser instead, but if you drop jump jets, you may as well be in another mech.

#58 Eldane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

2 mpls the rest to taste...enjoy.

#59 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 11 October 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

The 5K and 5V exist for one purpose: to have two more variants so you can get the 5D to elite. To get the master level, I recommend Jenners if you don't already own lights (because in all seriousness the "lousy" Jenner-K is still a top-5 light mech).

I limped them both through basic without any upgrades (already owning the XL255 for the 5D, I just swapped it around) exploiting "first win of the day." It took about 10 days. I managed a K/D of .8 with the 5V (16 matches) and .85 with the 5K (19 matches) and then sold them without hesitation or remorse. And this from a guy stubbornly holding onto his 2X/4X Ravens who learned to play in Commandos. I know bad. These mechs are bad (and the 5V is the worse of the two).

S

If the speed cap is truly increased then the 5V's new use will be Locust hunting.

o7 see you on the battlefield!

#60 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

5V is as usless as LCT-1VP. The 5K is my favorite mech in the game and if you don't suck you can consistently get 4-5 kills and several hundred damage. My best so far was 800+ with 3 honest kills and 2 steals. Still not a 5D though, 1k dmg games make my internets all hard and sensitive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users