Paul's Specifics On Weapon Balances

142 replies to this topic

#141 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Sarna about the Mech mounted MG: "still being effective at damaging Battlemechs"

The MG does effective damage to a Mech according to Sarna.net and it is out of question that the MG in MWO is nothing more than an audio-annoyance thus it needs a serious rework (buff).

The LBX should simply have a fixed spread from 50m to max range and not spread further and it will be a bit more viable.

#142 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostThe Strange, on 03 May 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Perhaps that is what he meant. I don't know, I can only read what he wrote and interpret it to the best of my ability.

"If Mech X has BAP, and Mech Y has ECM, and Mech X gets within 150m or less of Mech Y, Mech Y loses all effects of ECM. It is a 100% counter to ECM. Mech Y is now vulnerable to LRMs/S-SRMs as long as Mech X stays within 150m. Any friendly Mechs to Mech Y will no longer be shielded until Mech X leaves the 150m area around Mech Y."

This states that a BAP user, who comes within 150m of an ECM user, completely negates the ECM effects. 100% hard counter. That translates to shutting it off completely. It is like the ECM doesn't even exist while the BAP is within 150m. It states LRMs as well, so that would imply that your team members can lock on to it as well. Then it goes on to specifically state that any friendly Mechs will no longer be shielded. Which I take to mean that all other Mechs on your team would be able to lock on to any Mech that was previously shielded by the disabled ECM field.

Face it, they are completely negating ECM with the BAP. Once everyone equips a BAP on their Mech, ECM will be completely pointless.

The thing that seems unbalanced to me though, is that any Mech can take a BAP, but only certain ones can use ECM. We are all familiar with ECM Mechs, so we know which variants to target with our BAP. For instance, I know I have to get close to the D-DC to shut off his ECM. But we can never know which Mech we have to destroy to get rid of their BAP and restore our ECM field. Seems really stacked in the favor of getting rid of ECM.

I was actually giving this some more thought on my way home from the office on Friday. If I'm wrong and BAP now disrupts ECM for everyone, I imagine what will happen isn't so much that it disrupts ECM like ECM in Counter mode. Rather, what it would do is allow you to see through Target Y's ECM (when within 150m) and, in conjunction with our built in C3 system, therefor allow all friendly units to tap into your targeting array and, therefor, target mech Y. It would essentially turn you, the BAP user, into a mobile 150m aoe NARC beacon. I'm not sure how I feel about that but whether it is a singular anti-C3 or a mobile NARC anti-C3, it is a damned interesting concept. I'm personally leaning towards option #1 as it would still bring power to the ECM carrier running in Counter mode. But either one holds merit.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users