MWO, Artemis, Joysticks, and MW4

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Joystick Use Poll (247 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you play MechWarrior 4?

1. Yes (234 votes [94.74%])

Percentage of vote: 94.74%

2. No (13 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Joystick use, choose the answer that best fits you:

1. I played MW4 with a joystick and I will play MWO with a joystick. (102 votes [41.30%])

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

2. I played MW4 with key and mouse and I will play MWO with key and mouse. (70 votes [28.34%])

Percentage of vote: 28.34%

3. I played MW4 with key and mouse, but I will play MWO with a joystick. (16 votes [6.48%])

Percentage of vote: 6.48%

4. I played MW4 with a joystick, but I will play MWO with key and mouse. (15 votes [6.07%])

Percentage of vote: 6.07%

5. I played other PC games with a joystick and I will being playing MWO with key and mouse. (2 votes [0.81%])

Percentage of vote: 0.81%

6. I played other PC games with a joystick and I will being playing MWO with a joystick. (9 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

7. I played MW4, but I am not sure about what type of controller I will use. (18 votes [7.29%])

Percentage of vote: 7.29%

8. I played other PC games and I am not sure what type of controller I will use. (3 votes [1.21%])

Percentage of vote: 1.21%

9. I am new to PC gaming and I will use a joystick for MWO. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. I am new to PC gaming and I will use key and mouse to play MWO. (1 votes [0.40%])

Percentage of vote: 0.40%

11. I am new to PC gaming and I am not sure what I will use. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

12. I was a crazy CTFer or other crazy player who played MW4 with a key, mouse, and joystick all at the same time and I will do the same in MWO if it still works. (11 votes [4.45%])

Percentage of vote: 4.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Banshee Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 431 posts
  • LocationUncomfortably Close

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

I played mw4 and 3 with mouse and keyboard. I'll also play mwo with a mouse and keyboard, however this time I'm gonna throw a joystick in there for my off-hand :o

#22 Saxophonist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, the Artemis is just kind of a joke. It's just for ONE game. My Extreme 3D Pro can handle FSX, HAWX, and on and on. Artemis? Just MWO. And I can get a Saitek X52, if I want the HOTAS, for less/ And the screen seems redundant, unless it's a touchscreen. There is already that display on your monitor.

#23 grayshirtninja

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNebraska, USA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

I'll be playing with a joystick. I really want to get my hands on one of those Hawken dual joysticks.

#24 VegetaL

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

when i first started mw4 i used joystick then it broke, wont ever go back joysticks are a waste of money!

#25 Maerius

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

I use an Ergodex (25 movable wireless keyboard keys) and mouse for most games (used a flight sick and keyboard back in the MW2 days) and will do the same for MWO.

#26 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostStudBeefpile, on 06 June 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

I'll be playing with a joystick. I really want to get my hands on one of those Hawken dual joysticks.

That sounds interesting...give me a link for it.

#27 Damocles 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

i played both MW3 and MW4 with the sidewinder force feedback and loved it, the first time i played MW3 and felt the stomp of the mech through the stick and the boom on my first little woofer i was hooked. i find its always more satisfying to master a game on joystick or other neglected periferal, also freespace

View PostSaxophonist, on 06 June 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Yeah, the Artemis is just kind of a joke. It's just for ONE game. My Extreme 3D Pro can handle FSX, HAWX, and on and on. Artemis? Just MWO. And I can get a Saitek X52, if I want the HOTAS, for less/ And the screen seems redundant, unless it's a touchscreen. There is already that display on your monitor.

how do you figure its only going to support one game sports fan?

#28 Nightborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I would use a joystick if I had one, but seeing as I have been a keyboard and mouse guy for years I will probably just keep using that setup until I can afford to find a joystick that is cheap. Thrift stores here i come!

#29 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostSaxophonist, on 06 June 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Information about what games (in addition to MWO) will support its auxiliary display has not been released yet...

Edited by Spooky, 06 June 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#30 Jordan Kell

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Saitek AV8R-01 for me....Love that stick. Plus I have a touch screen already sooooo. No (likely) $300+ pricepoint for me thank you.

#31 KeeperVS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

So far I'm going to use mouse and keyboard as it's what I've used for everything. If it would work well I'd consider using my 360 controller for MWO though.

#32 Aeropunk

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostDamocles 1, on 06 June 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

i played both MW3 and MW4 with the sidewinder force feedback and loved it, the first time i played MW3 and felt the stomp of the mech through the stick and the boom on my first little woofer i was hooked. i find its always more satisfying to master a game on joystick or other neglected periferal, also freespace

how do you figure its only going to support one game sports fan?

The Artemis is just a concept, they don't have any plans on putting it into production. Think of a car manufacturer's concept cars, they build them to inspire new ideas and build practices, it's not to make a model which they are going to produce.

What are people's reasons for using/not using a joystick? I know I kind of liked MW3 with the aiming reticle as it made piloting a real skill, having to either optimise the keyboard layout or hurriedly moving your hand around the keyboard or mouse to maintain control., but in a multiplayer environment I don't think it would be ideal.

#33 Uller Phrost

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

I don't see any LEFT HANDED options. So I can't give a right minded answer. I use a left handed verticle mouse now

#34 AdamantVallation

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

MW has typically been a joystick event for me, but my old sidwinder has seen better days...now if I could just get my trusty Thrustmaster and Mark II FCS working...

Posted Image

#35 Infine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

Mouse + Keyboard. Tried joystick in MW4. Handy for piloting fast mechs, frustrating for aiming.

Edited by Infine, 09 June 2012 - 05:04 AM.

#36 McBrahman

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

right hand: mouse for aiming
left hand: http://www.3dconnexi...enavigator.html for maneuver

This was used in ff-beta as i have seen in the picture ;)
http://mwomercs.com/...y-beta-is-a-go/

#37 Frostiken

• 1,156 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Joysticks are awful for aiming. As good as you think you are with a joystick, you will still be inferior to a mouse user.

Might as well argue that a gamepad is 'just as good' for FPS games.

#38 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Not everyone is able to use a joystick for aiming, but I found it better in all respects over key and mouse for MW4. I target faster and more accurately with a joystick by far over key and mouse. Players that have never played MW4 do not understand the dynamics involved in piloting a Mech as compared to other games on the market. Mech piloting is unlike anything else out there in that there are several variables to account for that are not present in other FPSs. It also depends on your experience level and personal preferences. Your best bet is to try both once you have access to the game and see what works best for you.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 09 June 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#39 Death Mallet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'd like to get a joystick for coolness factor. . . but I think it would be inferior from a gameplay standpoint. I'll be faster and more accurate with my hyper-accurate mouse I bought for WoT.

Might look into getting some kind of throttle style control for my left hand though. Be good to take a lot of possibly dispersed keyboard controls and get them all at my fingertips.

#40 Murph

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

I like joysticks for mechwarrior on the sole caveat that they have a working Z-axis, which you can pretty much take for granted on new production joysticks, but you never used to be able to. Once you get the hang of it you can torso twist and keep firing while turning away from an opposing mech's onslaught without even thinking. At one point, when I was much better than I am today I was able to alpha strike fleas in a shadow cat moving 110+ KPH and core them out easily about 65% of the time, but reliably tag them about 90% of the time. I can do much better with mouse and keyboard but I just don't find it as fun, and that's what games are about. Hard core precision is always trumped by the more interesting control schemes in my opinion.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users