Mwo Slowly But Surely Being Over-Run By Hackers

8 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha087

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

And no, I don't mean the guys sitting on the ridge with the PPCs and gauss rifles (While some may in fact do something along those lines, I've not witnessed any poptarts cheating, personally).

What I'm referring to, is something I began to notice around the beginning of this Spring Clean Up tournament. The first incident being a day or so after it started, where myself and one of my usual 4-man premade teams were in a game on Alpine Peaks. To make a long story short, all three of us were lights, two 'meta' Raven 3L's, and a Jenner. In standard Wolfpack form, we managed to catch a lone dual AC20 Jagermech, wandering around near the southern path into our base... Naturally, we closed in, encircled him, and began to attack... Only for his first shot to hit one of the 3L's legs, crippling it instantly. The second shot? Hit the next 3L's leg, with the same effect. And the third? The Jenner's leg. No shots in between, no time taken to aim.. All three light mechs moving at full speed at the time of impact, and no, the lights were not all clumped together.

Now, you may say, "Well... Maybe it was just this one incident, and this guy had a -really- lucky day..." Of course, you -may- say that... But more and more in these last few days, myself and my clanmates have been running into more and more of these incidents. The latest (but not only one), being just this afternoon... Where myself, piloting a Raven 3L, and one of my clanmates in a Highlander closed in on a Catapult with K2 dual AC20. The first shot hit the highlander in the -cockpit-. Killing it instantly, while I was behind the K2 no less... So what's the next thing I see? The K2 instantly turning right around, again taking no time to aim, and hitting my -Raven's- cockpit the second the barrels were on me, while I was moving at full throttle no less. I'm not going to bother making this post too much longer by listing more examples, though I have about half a dozen now... But if you've seen this kind of behavior, then you know what I'm talking about. And yes, there is a difference between a legit player with a dual AC (or similar weapons), and an aimbot with dual AC (or similar weapons).

Well, after having experienced one too many of these incidents, I set out on google to seek validation of my accusations of cheating. I'm not going to post anything here, for obvious reasons, but I feel like PGI needs to -really- start paying attention, because a few key words in a google or youtube search, and you'll find yourself with people advertising anything from aimbots, to a 'see through objects' kind of cheat, to even a '100k MC generator'. Weather or which of those programs out there are actually for cheating, or are meant to install malware on your PC/steal your account information is unknown to me, as I have no desire to test it.

But please, PGI, I know you're swamped with a plethora of complaints with just about every aspect of the game... But with something like this? I've seen a lot of good F2P games absolutely destroyed by cheating and lack of initiative on the developer's side of stopping them. Don't let MWO be one just another one of those games.

Thanks.

Edited by Alpha087, 03 May 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#2 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Aimbots are pretty easy to spot. I cut my gaming teeth on Quake and Unreal, and the aiming in this game is silly easy. Some people just know how to aim, and HSR for ballistics lets them show it off. When you start seeing people's crosshairs mechanically snap to targets, you have a cheater. But I have to say, in a few hundred hours playing this game, I have yet to find one.

#3 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

out here in the open does no good, support tickets and evidence............

#4 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm pretty sure PGI have been actively working against 3rd party hacks since closed beta. Not much they can say about it without tipping their hand on how they go about dealing with it, but they are aware and are doing what they can.

#5 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that, since the ballistics HSR rollout, it is now ridiculously easier to hit anything, fast or slow, with ballistics and PPCs. I can pretty consistently kill light mechs up close with UAC/5s, AC2s, etc, let alone AC/20 and Gauss. With ballistic builds, seeing a raven circling me used to be the signal that I was in for about a minute and a half of lag-shield frustration resulting in either death or the loss of half my armor. Now, I just take a deep breath, lead my target, and shoot.

The examples given by the OP are well within the realm of possibility. Just because it is unlikely doesn't mean it doesn't happen dozens of times a day, and just because you saw it doesn't mean its hax. However, if you truly believe that you have seen aimbotting, wall(hill)hacking, or other exploits, DO NOT MAKE A FORUM POST. It does nothing, and all you're gonna get are replies that fall into the category of "OMG I KNEW IT HAX" or "Cool story bro." Instead, send an e-mail to support, and name names there, along with times and as many other details as you have.

#6 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

Cool story bro. Make screenshots and report it to PGI. the devs have already admitted that there are tool/hacks/etc in the game and that thry are investigating the issue.

Killing noob 3L pilots got a lot easier since HSR for ballisitics xD These loser never learned to play the game and had to rely on bugs. Now that these are gatting sorted out lights are getting hammered.

#7 L A V A

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 308 posts
  • LocationOn the beach!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

They are getting "hammered" because PGI:

1) increased the Raven leg hitbox so that even a noob assault pilot can't miss, and

2) the ballistics damage model does damage to both front and rear armor.

No need for an aimbot... just shoot in the general direction.

#8 Xx Albain xX

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

I did the exact same thing almost last night. Had 2 light mechs on me shot 4 times destroyed 4 legs. Sometimes people are good, get lucky etc.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Here is a link to the Official In-Game Cheating/Exploits thread

inside you'll find information on how to report cheaters to Support@mwomercs.com Sending your reports to the Support staff is the only way the game's employees will be able to track and hobble cheaters' accounts.

PGI has already made this game's combat mechanics Server Authoritative, which is a blatant move against cheating (client-authoritative systems are much more easily hacked), so please understand that they do care about cheating, or they wouldn't have even gone wit that route in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users