5 replies to this topic

#1 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

I hate the new meta.

I hate LRMs that rain down like the weak wristed toss of confetti from the flower girl at a wedding. I despise our hollow SRMs that roll off the target mech's paint job like beads of water. I die a tiny death every-time I seeing a row of Stalkers and Highlanders skulking along in a line along the top of a mountain ridge, sullen and cowardly and aggressive like the line to get in the doors of a bad goth show. I detest that the game rewards popping off volleys of lightning than slinking back below the line more than anything else in this game. That the noble brawler or daring scout is obliterated like a pancake stack in Paula Deen's kitchen trying to close the gap.

It's terrible.

But there is something you can do to help alleviate the pain. Choose Conquest mode.

I know, Conquest sucks. Always has, always will. But the singular good thing you can say about it is it forces players to MOVE. With multiple cap points you can force sniper lines to dissolve and separate by refusing to advance to their position. Unlike Assault where movement is predictable, and capping a point results in a lame win anyway, the multi-point Conquest tends to have somewhat more dynamic games. As the unpopular and longer game-mode, there are less 4-man min/maxed teams trying to grind it out for quick wins, they'd rather stick to assault where wins and cbills can be secured with a quick blitzkrieg (not that I'm calling them no-fun allowed Nazis or anything, not sure where you'd get that...)

You might even be able to enjoy yourself in a medium again.

It isn't a foolproof solution. If you run an Assault or slow heavy the idea of humping between cap points to split up the musket lines probably doesn't sound as appealing. And you sure do run into some brainless pugs while playing conquest.

But if you really want to play some stompyrobots, and you really don't want to put up with 8 different PPC/Guass platformers a side, then give Conquest a shot.

#2 Keifomofutu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Trouble with conquest is lights do the capping gig far better than mediums. You can kill 6 out of 8 of the enemy team on alpine and they'll just run and outcap you with ease. And the loosy goosy weight matching means you might not get an equivalent number of lights of your own. Or even worse... stock commandos and ravens.

Conquest is fun on the non ridiculously huge maps though.

Edited by Keifomofutu, 02 May 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#3 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I don't like roulette, conquest just adds a 2nd bullet to it.

"Ah your team has more lights, Gratz"

As a brawler Awesome pilot it's just so damn boring playing chase the Ravens..at least facing the wall of FOTM I can die fast and move on, you don't even have the ability to camp your base and force their hand in conquest.

That's from a pugger's pov where I assume no help at all from anyone, I'm sure the premades can counter with having a few bases covered or at least be better positioned to try.

#4 ferranis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 473 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Try it, at least you get some good fights with lots of movement. Lightpacks are not as common as one would think.
10x better than standing behind a hill and periodicly pressing space bar.

#5 Sahoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

The light packs/squads are not such a big deal if you break out of the mob mentality of everything heavier than 35t moving together and making everything lighter cap.

Yes: Move towards the normal area of engagement in bulk with your main force.

BUT: Consider sending a blitz towards where the enemy lights like to flank and began their cap-circle to hinder or cripple them early. This is usually easily done by sending a fast heavy/assault/medium along with your light-capping-crew.

Cheers,
Sahoj

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostShatterpoint, on 06 May 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

I don't like roulette, conquest just adds a 2nd bullet to it.
"Ah your team has more lights, Gratz"
As a brawler Awesome pilot it's just so damn boring playing chase the Ravens..at least facing the wall of FOTM I can die fast and move on, you don't even have the ability to camp your base and force their hand in conquest.
That's from a pugger's pov where I assume no help at all from anyone, I'm sure the premades can counter with having a few bases covered or at least be better positioned to try.

I tend to do opposite of everyone else (I'm a beautiful and unique snowflake), so I only bring my light and medium mechs to assault and I only bring my heavy and assault to conquest, when PUGing.

As a light or medium mech in Conquest, you'll often be the fastest mech and your team will demand you to go off and cap and face swarms of Raven 3Ls. Screw that.
As a heavy or assault mech in Assault, you're just a juicy snack for the poptarts and PPC stalkers.

As a heavy or assault mech in Conquest, however, there's at least a chance that you'll have a nice battle with slightly more balanced builds, while the light mechs are off doing their thing. You may lose by cap, but the most important thing to me is always enjoying the fight itself. Losing by cap after I wiped out their team is an easy pill to swallow ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users